Firefox is less popular now

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Saint, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's too concerned about privacy. People want to give all their information to Google, so they all use Chrome.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I've found certain sites don't work very well on Firefox and after checking out other browsers, I now use Brave. Everything works well on it so far.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I'm still happy with Firefox.

8. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Google is a gigantic, profit-oriented, multi-national company with an array of services accessible under one account. Mozilla is just a little "non-gains" software outfit with barely over a thousand employees and limited means to advertise its browser. Go, go, Underdog.

One thing Firefox could add is its own built-in, free pseudo-VPN like the even less popular Opera or Epic browsers. Doubtless expensive, though. (Which is to say, they'd probably have to pay for it by harvesting significantly more user data, like Google Chrome.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  9. Saint Valued Senior Member

microsoft edge also low market share

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

was it Netscape that had been the big thing in browsers until Microsoft entered the game?

11. mathman Valued Senior Member

I use a browser called Avant. It is essentially a shell built around IE11. It also has options to use Firefox or Chrome engines (user can switch at any time and designate which browser to use for specific websites). I used to use Firefox option, but recently I found it had too many glitches, so I switched to Chrome option. The thing I like most about Avant is the user interface, which is more cluttered than Chrome itself, so I can get view, bookmarks, etc. immediately, rather than opening a menu.