First baby with fully sequenced genome is born

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Challenger78, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/527936/for-one-baby-life-begins-with-genome-revealed/
    First off, boilerplate disclaimer; I'm no expert in biology or science. This also may be suited in the ethics forum.
    But what does the ability to completely map the genome mean?

Can a parent now be aware of all the possibilities inherent in their child's DNA before they are born ?
    Will this be allowed to influence the decision regarding whether to abort the child?

And the alarmist in me is wary of a Gattaca esque future where even minor genetic anomalies are corrected before birth. I think most people would prefer to be able to correct life-crippling disabilities before they manifest, but equally, there may be a small subset of people looking to screen for desirable traits according to their own standards.

If the ability to sequence and correct genomes is available, and opened to market forces, would that not reinforce existing inequities in terms of physical health and economic situations?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Those with allot of money will be the only ones to get this type of procedure leaving the rest of humanity behind.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.