First Video Game

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Orleander, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John99 Banned Banned

Dungeon Keeper was funny, picking up the workers by their necks. bwa ha ha ha haaa.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

to bad bullfrog went out of business I would have loved to see dungeon keeper 3

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

i think then i may have played DK2, not sure.

anyway take care pj.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Space Invaders. I remember thinking "look at the graphics on this!!!! The kids of the future will never believe it!!!"
    and they don't.

8. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Back in 1974,in the basement of the Birge Hall physics building at Cal was an old IBM computer that read punch-card programs. By then, half the computer time was being used on a program some students had written which was a video game displayed on a CRT screen. It consisted of a single 'star' in the middle which had gravitational attraction, and 'space-ships' that buzzed about shooting at each other, as I recall. Perhaps someone else from that era remembers it better, because alas, I was too busy running my astrophysics programs to spend much time on games.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I got a stand-alone Fidelity chess computer that had a real board with real pieces in the mid-1980s. The hardware was crappy, just putting the piece down didn't activate the sensor, you had to push on the square really hard with your finger. I suppose the software was state of the art for the consumer market at that time. It could beat me (I was probably never stronger than 1250) but it spent forever thinking about its moves.

I'm a simple soul. When we got Windows boxes at the office I was thrilled with MineSweeper, Tri-Peaks and FreeCell. Seems like my wife buys all the computer games. I kind of like Tetris, although I have never liked games that reward reaction time instead of thinking, and when the Tetris pieces start falling like rain I just lose interest. She found one called Welltris which is sort of a 3D Tetris, and since it really does require a lot of thinking it doesn't get carried away with speed. I like that one a lot. I keep my creaky old Windows 98 box around just to play Welltris.

I like the Mah Jongg-based games too.

I've never had an actual arcade-style game at home, much less a dedicated platform for one.

Back in my arcade days I was, according to everyone who saw me play, the L.A. Frogger champion. One day when I was playing on my lunch hour in the arcade across the street from the office, I kept feeling like somebody was watching me but nobody was there. Then the game ended and I looked down... and there were about twelve little kids standing there with their mouths open. One said, "See, it's really him. This is F.R., the guy who broke a million points on Frogger. I told you if we kept coming here we'd eventually meet him." They were mesmerized just to see what the advanced screens looked like. They'd never seen them before.

She bought me the PC version of Frogger, but it's just not the same. The 3-D graphics make me dizzy, and the rules are way too complicated.

10. draqon Banned Banned

Croc: my first ever game I bought myself

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

12. K05ch3i Registered Senior Member

Pong here too, i remember the controller was some kind of dial to make the 'paddle' go up and down.

Life was good with the Commodore64 when that came out too! - anyone remember Booty, Paperboy (the original!) and that the games came on cassette and took an age to load...and sometimes crash!

Happy days

13. John99 Banned Banned

That looks cool.

Didnt Microsoft have a pinball game with Windows 95?

14. TFL ʞǝǝƃ ɐ ʇsnɾ Registered Senior Member

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for the Gameboy Color. I played that for years.

It's still fun.

15. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Actually, there was an Atari game that was similar, except you were shooting really weird looking alien pterodactyls or something. That had even better graphics.

But Pitfall beat all.

16. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh, geez! You physics nerds!

I'm sorry to say, the first game I remember owning (don't remember if I bought it or not) was Shingen the Ruler.

I'm the real nerd.

17. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Manic Miner, I think.
    For the Commodore 64.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

That was for the 64, unfortunately the 16 just didn't have enough memory for it (Some games ran on both). I think the load time from tape was about 20-30 minutes, a real nightmare if it crashed or stop responding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.