Flat screen Wi-Fi TV questions...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Seattle, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I haven't had cable TV for years. The only thing I might be interested in is a flat screen mounted on the wall over the fireplace (I don't use the fireplace) if it can be connected to some service via Wi-Fi.

I don't want a cable running down (or through) the wall and I really don't want a regular cable service anyway. If I get the right flat screen wall mounted TV (there is an electrical outside just above the mantle currently hidden with a mirror) with maybe Roku enabled is this feasible?

It sounds like a stupid question or as if I already know the answer but since I haven't had a TV in years, I'm really not knowledgeable. I've been in houses where they had a wall mounted TV and I didn't see any wires but I have no idea how they had it set up or whether everything was just coming though the wall.

Is this as simple as buying a flat screen wall mounted TV and looking for it to mention Wi-Fi capable and then I just plug it in the wall (after hanging it) and then when it comes on I just subscribe to some service via the interface?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Haven't had cable for years myself. A Roku TV with wifi works fine. We also have an "over the air" antenna. Don't know of a Roku alternative for local TV stations.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Any "smart" TV should be able to access your internet via wi-fi, and come with all the more popular services (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc) preloaded. So you just need to plug it into the power, and you're good to go.
    If the TV isn't already a smart tv, or doesn't have the streaming service you want, you can still buy wi-fi dongles (e.g. Amazon's Fire Stick) that connect to your TV via HDMI. The dongle should pick up your wi-fi signal. You then download additional the various service Apps (Netflix, Prime, BBC iPlayer etc) onto the dongle. So you shouldn't need a cable if you're happy with streaming services.

At least that's how I think it works!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

candy and Seattle like this.
  8. candy Valued Senior Member

I have discovered that my Vizio is really portable. Disconnect the antenna I use for local news. Pick up the very lightweight flat screen and cart it any where an extension cord will go and the wifi sends a signal. You can stream pluto for free. I wanted Star Trek so I have Paramount (formerly CBS) and hulu for variety.