floppy problem with linux

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by kerplunk4o9, Sep 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kerplunk4o9 Registered Member

Hi, I recently installed linux on my Emachine and for some reason when I put a .jpg file on a floppy using a windoze computer the picture doesnt show up right on my linux machine(or it doesnt come up at all). Lynx came over and tried to get it to work but it still isnt working. For some reason only .gif files can succesfully transfer via floppy from my windoze machine to my linux machine.

has anyone else had this problem? and if so do you know how to fix it? I know it isnt he floppy itself because i tried it with 4 different ones...

thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I can but guess at possibilities, but I will have words with someone else also.

The problem could be:
    If your using a particular graphics card, some configuration might be wrong. (I had a problem loading a debian graphics controller, which I've pretty much put on hold for now), this would mean that any image over a certain Bit might not load, namely 8Bit (256) might load but 16/24/32Bit won't (Not that many machines use 24 unless they are MAC's)

The only other possibility is which partition do you store the image on, As the image might have problems if it's formatted to the wrong partition. Thus an image in a windows partition might error on Linux and an image in a linux partion might error in windows.

Of course since you are using floppy, it's the same problem, of course the floppy might be formatted to linux or windows.
    Try saving the image to either or both partitions on your harddrive to find out if it helps.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

What command are you using to mount the floppy? if the normal "mount /mnt/floppy" doesn't work, try "mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" (substitutnig /mnt/floppy with your own mountpoint).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.