Flying cars: The future is NOW!

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Magical Realist, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

That's just in two dimensions. Throw in a third dimension and watch that number go up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

But going up and down multiplies expotentially the number of horizontal dimensions doesn't it? What are the odds that I'm going to be in exactly the same horizontal plane as another flying car?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Based purely on accidents between general aviation airplanes now - pretty high.

8. TBodillia Registered Senior Member

People not checking left of right before switching lanes accounts for about 4% of all accidents (US) and 0.5% of all deaths. Now, add not checking above or below you before switching altitudes and the number of deaths increases because you have to deal with crashing to Earth post wreck.

Distracted driving accounts for 17% of accidents and 10% of deaths. Make that distracted flying and the numbers go up. The airbag deployed, you're safe but the car was totaled out and is undrivable...now deal with plummeting from whatever altitude to the ground.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The likelihood of you hitting another vehicle by changing altitude is immediately diminished by the unlikelihood that you will situate yourself on any given populated plane. I move 30 feet up. Or 36 feet up. What are the chances I've selected a populated plane of flight? Not much, considering the ratio of populated planes where another car happens to be located vs that of unpopulated planes where none are located at all.

10. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

No chance of flying cars, people are crackpots on the roads, why would you want them flying over your head?