Food Banks

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Ted Grant II, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Ted Grant II Registered Senior Member

A few weeks ago, I thought it would be nice to donate to a food bank, but as I don't want to support any religious organizations, I went online and searched for "Secular Food Banks".

I got several hits, but on delving deeper into the first handful, they were all either run by religious organizations or relied on their support. I also noticed that they were supported by the Lottery and various local authorities.
    They were all had mission statements that included some reference to Jesus and "Christian Values".

I selected one called "HOPE" and visited their building. There was a guy in charge who used his own car to collect food donations from several local supermarkets. He was very friendly and showed me around. There was a large room with several women making up food packs, picking from a vast array of shelving. I asked a few questions. They feed about 100 families, who have to get vouchers from other organizations in order to qualify.
    In another room I met a few of the other staff. On the wall was a huge poster showing Jesus on the cross.
    In large letters under the cross, it said, "Jesus died to give you HOPE ! "

I told them I would like to donate, but not for any religious reason.
    They said they were happy to take donations from anybody, religious or not.
    I walked out and sat by a river, watching the white foam dancing in the sun.
    A cloud moved across the sun, the river darkened and I felt a chill in the air.
    Was it a sign ?

I went back to the building and gave the guy £20.
    He was very pleased and offered to give me a receipt.
    I declined and said the reason I donated was because I am a kind person.
    I don't expect a reward, either now or when I'm dead.
    So, God, if you exist, please ignore my donation.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I always refuse receipts for donations.
    If I wanted to make money off my action, I wouldn't be donating it in the first place.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.