Food! Glorious Food!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by paddoboy, Apr 8, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

What's your favourite meal/s??
    Mine? I have many...
    I love a good roast Lamb or Pork dinner...with baked spuds, pumpkin, Onion, mixed carrot and peas, smothered in a beautiful gravy.....
    I love a good mixed grill with chips fried onions and fried tomato...
    I love a Lobster Mornay.
    But one of my favourite, less then formal type meals, is roasted chicken wings with carrots, capsicum, onions and fried rice.....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I love doing a lamb roast on my barbeque (heaps of rosemary and other secret spices) with the rotating thingy with trays of spuds, butternut pumpkin, sweet potatoe and onion.
    Cooked for hours.
    Mixed grill yes indeed.
    Lobster mornay...I make the best according to one of Sydneys best chefs now retired...the secret is roasting the flour before adding butter etc...
    But it's been a while..I once had a client who owned a fish and chip shop and he would turn up with a bundle of fish always including a lobster in exchange for "free" advice...those were the days..last time I looked some time ago a decent lobster was $100.

What I do like which is not a meal really is to marinate gravy beef in strips and smoke it over an open fire all day...it is like a flash beef jerky.

Another lay sausages on a star picket over the smoke all day...to die for and yet just a simple sausage.

I cooked a lot once, mainly French and Chinese as both these you make fancy dishes from very simple ingredients.
    crumpets
    Love my many versions of bread..I even make my own trumpets the size of dinner plates.

And the camp over pizza is hard to beat...mmm

And the best for me is the simple meat pie (a good one) mash potatoes and mushy peas...is Harry still there at the cross?

Alex

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

My favorite meal, hmm. Probably hard to pin down just one.

I'm part middle eastern and Italian, so a few dishes come to mind.

Iranian salad
    Shawarma
    Falafel
    Homemade hummus
    Baked ziti, homemade pasta
    Meatless lasagna
    Homemade manicotti

I haven't yet mastered middle eastern cooking, it's a little tricky, the right balance of spices and such. But, I'm still trying.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Just put more of everything than you're comfortable with.

These days, I'd have to say risotto. I've been making variations that include more vegetables and less or no cheese. Trying to cut down on dairy products. I do a plain one with onion, carrot and celery; or use broccoli or asparagus if I have some. Chopped kale from the hydroponics makes a nice green one. One batch will last three lunches. Sometimes I use half rice, half orzo pasta.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You left out baba ghanoush, which is one of my favourites.

What goes into Iranian salad? Is it like tabbouleh, or something quite different?

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol Yes, that is a good choice, too! The others that I've mentioned though deserve higher ranking.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is sooo good, and sooo simple, and sooo healthy.

Ingredients:
    chick peas
    cucumbers
    mint leaf
    basil leaf
    red onion
    pita bread
    tomatoes
    feta cheese
    pine nuts
    oil
    vinegar

Simply cut up cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes and toss into bowl. Then add the chickpeas. Then, the feta cheese, pine nuts, and rip some pieces of basil, mint and pita bread...and sprinkle on top. Toss with oil and vinegar and any spices you may wish to add...and enjoy.

Jeeves and exchemist like this.
  10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Reminds me, I quite often do a salad with grilled slices of courgette, feta and black olives, with a garlic, olive oil and lemon dressing. Had some for lunch today in fact. I don't know if it's a thing, or whether I just made it up. But very good in summer.

wegs likes this.
  11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There is no way to go wrong with black olives and feta cheese!
    *sigh*
    I have a nice brie and a jar of stuffed olives in fridge and a nice baguette in the freezer. And they're going to stay there for the foreseeable future because I can't get my tooth fixed.
    Cream of wheat for lunch today.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yum! That sounds perfect.

13. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Fillet steak, baked potatoe wit cheese and butter. mushrooms, onion rings and gently fried tomotoes. English mustard.

14. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Minus the feta, that's pretty close to what I eat nearly every day throughout the summer. And countless variations, of course.

I always get stressed when queried for my favorite of anything. Even if I name a few things, in no particular order, I always feel like I'm leaving something out or according too much status to something that isn't really my favorite.

So I'll just go with whatever I'm making now, or thinking about making, and that would be... vegan angel food cake. The challenge, needless to say, is what to substitute for egg whites. Eggs are never a problem, but egg whites are another matter entirely. Thankfully, there is a discipline that I think mostly stupid and silly, but occasionally brilliant: molecular gastronomy. With egg whites, the flavor is a (relative) non-issue--it's all about the texture and that weird chemical reaction that makes stuff a unique sort of fluffy. So...

... enter aquafaba-- or the liquid that remains in a can of chickpeas. And it has to be chickpeas. Combine with cream of tartar, blend, and produce stiff peaks in under 5 minutes! Crazy. And it doesn't deflate with the passage of time. Below we see aquafaba alone, with sugar, and with cream of tartar, after an hour passes:

If the angel food cake turns out proper, maybe I'll post a daguerrotype or something. Probably not, though.

wegs likes this.
  15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I could easily eat this every day, too! What are your variations?

Another very simple meal is something I picked up from the Middle Eastern market that I visit - Iranians and others from nearby regions, often have quite simple breakfast dishes. If you can find a jar of apricot jam with almonds in them - whole almonds - you will have discovered a treasure. (if you like apricots lol) Then, buy pita bread preferably homemade, warm it up for a few minutes in the oven, and spread some of that jam on it for a truly scrumptious breakfast treat. I don’t have this often, but every now and then, it really is special.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

How long is too long to keep an avocado? I bought one last Sunday and forgot about it.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Just had some avos and tomato on toast for brecky.

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

You can never know - unless it literally falls at your feet on the corner of Norwalk and Alondra - I was damn lucky to step back in time - how long the thing's been off the tree before you acquired it. They travel quite well.
    Unless it looks dented and pocked, the only way to find out is to cut the thing open. Brown is bad. I save the green parts anyway, even if I have to rescue them with a teaspoon and blend them into salad dressing.

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

That's amazing culinary science! I'm okay with eggs from a nearby honey farm. The chickens look happy and they don't keep roosters, so no icky surprises.

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I threw it away ...it was brown. Ugh, it’s practically a crime to throw away an avocado. :/

21. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Its a crime in my view to throw away any food for the want of attention and management.

You should plant the seed ...
    Alex

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Avocado seeds make good toys for dogs, as well - except the dog will generally chew it for a while and then leave the spiky, slimy carcass on the camo rug on the way to the bathroom in the night. Exactly one step from the headless mouse left by the cat.

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

My favort food is most often whatever i happen to be eatin at the time.!!!

For supper it was bread grilled wit avocado oil made into a sandwitch wit nut-butter spread between the slices... an a bowl of fruit salad wit fresh toasted cocoanut.!!!

What icky surprises.???
    Looks interestin... sounds like it might work good wit my bran muffins