Food! Glorious Food!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by paddoboy, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

A side step.
    I like the odd meals I would make when in the bush and been putting off shopping.
    A small Pak of cornflakes some mayonnaise and a can of sardines or something totally weird but you are starving so those meals can be interesting.
    Alex

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Never cracked open a fertilized egg?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’d have to really be starving. Lol

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I have been really starving a few times simply because I would put off going to town until it really had to.

Funny even in normal times I hate being in crouds cause I fear catching something.

I have told this story before but I will tell it again merely to underline what starvation will have you do.

One time I had one can of Irish stew left, I heated it up on the fire, put it on the plate, put the plate down near the fire to get a spoon, when I turned around my big dog was eating it, well ordinarily you would let the dog have it and open another can, but there are no other cans so I hunted him away and had what was left...and grateful I got to it before it was all gone...that's when you know you are starving...and I lived did not catch anything from the dog.

Another time..car broke down in the Forrest, 20 KLM walk home and no water...I drank from a mud puddle surrounded by bees..I was so thirsty I did not care about the colour of the water or being stung it was a that intense.

It's when you are on the edge you realise how good things are most times.

I hope you are well and surviving the ordeal before you..hopefully nearly behind you.

Alex

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

O thats right but it been over 60 years ago... back when we bout brown eggs from the egg lady.!!!

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Well, we still do buy brown eggs from a farm up the road. It's not just the wife's mad money anymore; it's part of the family income. She does have dominion over the chickens - Rhodies, Orpingtons and peahens, running free and even socializing with the customers - while the husband is more or less in charge of the hives; the young girl is queen of the vegetable plot and the little boy is great at washing, sorting and packing produce. Sometimes I have to settle for a half dozen, since they go out as fast as the kids collect them in, but they're the best eggs in the world and the tiny store smells like heaven.

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

In case you were unsure whether you want to go there, Heaven smells like beeswax candles and lavender.

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Rice pudding. That’s another fave of mine. I’m terrible at making it, though. I think the secret lies in the type of rice used - maybe a more fragrant rice like jasmine would work best?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Arborio. But you can get by with any white rice, short grain is better than long, too, if you use the slow-cooker. Just let it simmer in the milk for as long as it likes; in this case, mushy becomes creamy. Toss in some raisins or currants; top with a sprinkle of cinnamon (cocoa is good too) and a nice even sifting of sugar on top. Quick, while it's hot, so the sugar melts and forms a crust.

davewhite04 likes this.
  13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Is it depressing to make a red velvet cake without the red dye?

Typically recipes call for a ridiculous amount of dye--like 2 or 3 tablespoons. I never use dye, so I'm not gonna buy it just for this, and I haven't got any beetroot powder or beets at the moment. I figure I'm just going to boil the crap out of some cranberries and squeeze with tremendous force--idea: I might extract through portafilter, via lever-press that I use for espresso. Still, it will not be anywhere near as red as red velvet baked things usually are.

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I don't get why red is important in a cake. I eat them for the flavour, not the colour. Anyway, everybody knows the best colour for a cake is chocolate brown.

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I made a delicious breakfast egg/veggie casserole today, and forgot to whisk the eggs, before adding in the other ingredients into the bowl. (So, mixed the veggies, cheese etc along with the eggs.) Nonetheless, it turned out really well, but whisking would've made it fluffier.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19190607

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

What’s for dinner tonight? I’m having a special friend over and I’m trying to make Indian butter chicken for the first time. I adore Indian food and hope this turns out well!

ETA - it turned out SO good! I’m really happy! I taste the cumin, tumeric, onions, garlic, ginger, and cayenne ...equally. Mmm!!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

*turmeric - typo

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

We are having Beef Brisket with mash and carrots for dinner tonight.
    Some Indian food I don't mind [plenty of it in Fiji] particularly roti and curry beef. A mildish curry mind you, my insides are tender and precious!

wegs likes this.
  19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I have to really be in the mood for curry but in the right dish, it’s delish.

I can’t believe how perfect this butter chicken turned out tonight and the coconut turmeric rice with it, was incredible. I bought an organic brown jasmine rice and made it in a skillet. This is my new fave dish.

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If it makes you sick, you kept it too long.

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I found an online bakery that sells Kulche Naan bread - this bread is used for many dishes, one with chick peas, tomatoes, onions, chili peppers and many fragrant spices such as cumin, ginger, curry and cinnamon. You “drench” the Kulche Naan bread in the sauce you create, and then pour the sauce over it. I can’t wait to try my hand at this!

Someday, I will travel to India but with CV19, might be a while.

I could make the bread myself but I don’t have a gas stove and it seems it comes together best, over fire.

22. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I've taken to making pooris: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puri_(food)

If you don't know them, they are quite easy to make and rather satisfying to cook, because they puff up so dramatically. I eat them with spinach dhal usually.

You don't really need deep frying, just a couple of inches depth of hot oil in a small pan.

wegs likes this.
  23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

moon cakes
    maybe, it was a situational thing?