For James R. 'The Honest Theist'.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by phlogistician, May 21, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Recent posts of Jan Ardena to me, or of Lori to me and many others.

The playing field is not equal.

It is the theists who come forward claiming they have The Solution. As such, they have greater burdens and greater responibilities.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Signal:

No.

I am an academic. As such, I am trained to sit on the fence - to examine all sides of an argument and to sort the bad arguments from the good no matter who is making them. Moreover, I am used to playing Devil's advocate. It is a valuable exercise to try to argue for a position that you personally do not support, to the best of your ability. It forces you to really examine the best arguments that are available. You can't sweep inconvenient truths under the rug.

As I said before, the assumption that all arguments for the existence of God are flawed or poorly thought out or unconsidered or stupid does a disservice to the many very bright theists who have made them over the centuries.

Have you ever read any Thomas Aquinas, for example? He was no fool, I can assure you.

That's true, of course. And the same thing can be said about many atheists, too, I'm sure you'll agree. There are atheists who are atheists not through any process of reasoning but rather because they simply don't like religion, or they feel they are rebelling against society by being atheists, or whatever.

Theists, just like atheists, lie on a continuum. At one end, we have people who just blindly follow whatever position they take with no real thought. At the other end we have people who have looked at both sides of the matter, put long and careful thought into it, and made a considered judgment.

As do atheists.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If what you are saying is true one would expect to see an absence of texts on defining qualities of a spiritual authority and also an absence of dialogue on holding the said spiritual authorities accountable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What do good arguments guarantee?

So what?

Who knows if "weighing arguments and making considered judgments" makes for a meaningful belief in God.
    I don't think it does.

Like I noted above: the playing field is not even. Theists have a much greater responsibility, a much greater burden, because they are the ones claiming to have The Solution to mankind's problems.

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Surely, there are such texts. Such texts also disqualify run-of-the-mill people from making any judgements about spiritual authority.

The presence of such dialogue - although it is usually just a monologue from the side of the complaning party - does not guarantee anything. It's just bureocracy, diplomacy. And more of "It's just your jaundice / You're not advanced enough / etc."

EDIT:
    If these authorities are so right, if they are so advanced, if what they talk about is so important, if people's choices about it will have eternal ramifications -
    then how come these authorities can't or won't make people see it?
    Why is the only argument that these spiritual authorities give for their superiority and advancement, our "jaundice", our "lack of advancement"?
    Why don't these spiritual authorities do something that would positively inspire us?
    Why is spirituality a matter of "grit your teeth and bear it, indefinitely"?
    Why is the only way to see these spiritual authorities as advanced, by telling myself "I am too stupid to understand, surely they must be right"?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i won't argue about Jan (i'm scared of her), she is the exception not the rule..
    and lori has already admitted she is just as messed up as the rest of us...

you have never been so excited to learn a new truth that you wanted to share it?

the problems come with how we communicate such truths, the bible says live it, be the example, not force everyone to be the example. a proper theist would not make an issue of how much of a sinner you are, and focus more on what God wants for them in their lives.(tangent night i guess..)

anyway the point was specific to sciforums..most new users start posting thing to validate their own opinions, there isn't any difference between theist and atheist in this respect,

and you added
    so part of the burden and responsibility is to the listener to be sure he is hearing what he thinks he is hearing,and not dismiss it out of hand.
    (see james arguments about being a good debater)

and i do agree with:
    test all things and hold on to what is good.
    ---
    why?
    prove to me that the texts say that we are not responsible for our own spirituality?
    or prove that there has to be an authority (other than jesus.)

where does it say that the only way to know God is through some man (other than jesus.)

my point is you are the authority of your own spirituality. not someone else.

----------
    wouldn't rebelling against society (in your context,and in present day) mean one would join religion?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Actually they exist primarily to enable run-of-the-mill people to make such distinctions

If that was true one wouldn't see the social body that is attached to religious institutions bearing any influence on redefining the structure of teh said institution

Actually that is an argument for one's inability to adhere to the regulative principles of freedom from material existence ... something which can strike even advanced personalities (surely you must have heard about jada bharata falling down from the position of bhava)

"You are jaundiced/have material attachments" certainly does not render the speaker spiritually superior.

Spiritual investigation is about finding the association that does, rather than impersonally and unrealistically assigning an impossible category of behavior to the first aspiring spiritualist one meets

Its always the case that advancement is slow and painstaking and falling down is incredibly easy and quick. Thats why it is often talked about as a razor's edge.

If that is the only thing you are calling upon to determine who is a spiritual authority I think you have to go back to the drawing board with your definitions

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

They go a long way to making informed judgments and important decisions in a rational way.

So, phlogistician's point in this thread is that "All theists are dishonest". My point is that they are not. Nor are they stupid.

Are you religious?

Really? What's the solution?

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Then why do they disqualify them in the same breath?

Yes, and officially, this is called "the degradation of religious society".

The same person who tells us they know what is best for us also tells us that the reason we don't see them as superior is because we have jaundice.

All we know about spirituality, we know from the same people who tell us that the reason we don't see them as superior is because we have jaundice.

We don't know anything else, we don't have any other source. It's either this, or nothing.

Reality is not like that.

In reality, there is a number of people, spiritual/religious organizations who claim to be spiritually advanced, who claim to know what is best for us, and who in their public addresses criticize the run-of-the-mill people as rascals.

One is supposed to join a religious or spiritual organization without any prior investigation.
    We are supposed to come there, and commit fully the first time. If we don't, we're rascals.
    If we're not inspired by them, we're rascals.

Spiritual/religious organizations make no allowance for a search.

And it is either these spiritual/religious organizations, or nothing.

EDIT: Given that we are supposed to choose among several religions / spiritual paths/ organizations (they certainly all want us to choose), how are we supposed to choose, when they all appear so similar? The names may be different, but the teeth-gritting and the insanities are the same in them.

Why do they keep saying that "chanting the holy names is sweet" and things like that - when so many have just the opposite experiences, for long periods of time?

Years of practice, and not a single positive experience. But people should just continue anyway, banging their head up against a wall?

Like any of those spiritual authorities would forgive me for doing so.
    Moreover, I would be reading about those definitions from them. And then to use those same definitions against them?? What kind of logic is that?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Meaning, the whole point of making good arguments is to make oneself feel good about one's choices -?

No.

Jesus, or Allah, or whichever.

14. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

What is wrong with being a rascal. Try being a Micky shit house mouse for a while. Little Rascal's becomes a picnic . I don't listen to super preachers to much . They do have a tendency to be full of it . Jole Osteen . Him I kind of like . He is pretty up beat for a preacher . Not that I can listen to him that long either . I like it when he starts talking about the garden and the House and the good things that are coming . Me being a GreatHouse you can use your imagination what the garden is . Ah yeah Me likes Gardening. Plowing the garden is fun

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

disqualify them from what?
    Reading?

regardless of what you imagine it is officially called, if it was true, you wouldn't see it happen
    :shrug:

sounds like a good time to do some reading on the qualities of a spiritually advanced person (don't seem to recall anything about a need for them to personally establish themselves as superior)

ditto above
    I seem to recall three authorities, not one ...

hence the issue of inspiring association

enter the analogy about choosing a medical procedure ....

so if you have a nice experience about anything, you only talk about it when others also have an identical experience?

a person cannot do anything for years without a single positive experience, no matter how it is dressed up

You have the authors of SB and the gita calling you a rascal?

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

From making assessments on who to associate with and how.

They have a number of followers who do that for them. And nobody gets to the guru except through his followers. Who are ever so ready to make it infinitely difficult for anyone else to come near.

There is still one source that tells us about guru-sadhu-sastra.

(Apart from those three, there is a fourth one - self-satisfaction. But I am not sure when one is allowed to count on that one.)

It's an issue, allright.

I've addressed this in the other thread.

How is that related to what I said?

Don't underestimate the power of discipline, misery, and pride.

Not by my first name, but to people like me.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ten points Sir!

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

Prejudice,.... oh James, that's a low blow.

I simply do not believe in the deities people attempt to describe to me.

It really is that simple.

And here's the thing, you still can't give me a description of your god that makes sense, AND you know your target because you do not actually believe yourself, so _should_ be able to come up with something that avoids the regular criticisms, but you hung yourself from the outset.

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

Quote and link. Don't think you can hide behind assertions.

Which statement is that?: Quote me or get reported.

IF? Did I? What did I say?

All I require is a description that bears scrutiny. That has NOT changed.

Intentionally? Demonstrate with quotes, or be damned, sir.
    This thread was for JamesR to make his arguments for God, not for others to divert the conversation.

13 pages of explanations? Hardly. All I've had from James is a couple is sentences that don't hold water. He's been too lazy to even tell me how he arrived at his beliefs. It's like trying to get blood from a stone. Believers should have sound reasoning to explain their beliefs, the fact we have 13 pages is rather proof that they do not.

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

I'm pretty sure that argument, IF you are making it, and not dancing around it, negates omniscience and omnipotence. So what are you saying?

It is if God is omniscient and omnipotent.

No it wouldn't, but surely God, being omniscient, could dispense with gravity and hold everything together by sheer force of his will over every single particle he created?

Pay attention, I already told you the 'God moves in mysterious ways' excuse has no value.

I'm not following your diversion. Do I need explain the purpose of this thread yet again? Simply, I ask you to explain your god to me. It's not a debate.

How do you prove it's not X?

I ask the questions, you answer. Stop with the diversionary tactics.

James, YOU are supposed to be giving me YOUR explanations for such here. You are supposed to be giving me YOUR definition, and telling me YOUR reason for belief and the motivations of the thing in which you believe. The above seems little more than an admission of defeat that you cannot explain yourself.

So, do you want to try again?

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

Weak. You know, as a scientist, the best we can do is statistical correlation. That does not mean everything is based upon Faith, nor that all Faith based propositions are equal.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

phlogisitician:

Why not?

Post #26:

"God is an all-powerful supernatural being who created the universe we live in. He is omniscient and omnipotent."

What doesn't make sense about that?

And what, exactly, are the "regular criticisms" you refer to?

I have answered the three specific questions you have asked so far in the course of the past 300 posts.

I also responded explicitly to your question about how I arrived at my beliefs. Try to keep up.

Nothing I said there negates omniscience or omnipotence.

Empty claims with no justification are useless.

My point was that to all appearances we live in a world of consistent physical laws. Clearly, God chose to create such a world. Why, then, would he violate his own creation by suspending or altering those laws at a whim? Did he not think in advance about what he was doing? Surely, any God worth his salt would be more organised than that. See the point now?

No you didn't. Besides, empty claims without justification are useless.

It's ok. I'll wait. Not that I expect you to demonstrate any evidence that you can think through this problem. It must be gnawing at you by now.

So, got any questions?

Are you unfamiliar with methods of gathering evidence to prove or disprove a point?

I don't claim to know all the motivations of God. He is an omniscient, omnipotent being. I am not.

It still puzzles me in how you can be so interested in the motivations of something you cannot even define, though.

How do you define "faith", if you think my definition is "weak"?

Oh, and we can do a lot better than statistical correlation in science.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

Just look at this thread! I asked for a description of your God. You claimed to have drawn upon many sources to arrive at your conclusions, yet when pushed for your most recent definition, I get two sentences WITHOUT supporting reasoning. That's it? Two sentences?

'Supernatural',... well, you know that excludes proof, and that it's just a faith based proposition, yet you utterly fail to admit reasonable doubt.

Omniscience and omnipotence. The 'all powerful' part of your first sentence is a tautology considering you say 'omnipotent' later. I guess you have so little you feel the need to pad out the description!

So, 15 pages in, and the BEST you have so far come up with, is two sentences, and it's padded at that. I've had ego and attitude in spades, but very little content. But thankyou for that, because your attitude has proven to be you cannot support your claims honestly.

But anyway, just for laughs, let's hear you justify the few claims you have made, wrt omniscience, and omnipotence, given you have said God is supernatural and therefore you cannot have evidence for such.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011