For peaceful life among us here is an biblical advice

Discussion in 'Religion' started by timojin, Dec 4, 2015.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

Proverbs ch 1
    7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
    9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.
    10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
    11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Doubt is the beginning of knowledge, not faith.

Yazata and sideshowbob like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. timojin Valued Senior Member

Knowledge is an understanding on how to solve a problem . Respecting God's commandments will bring peace among us .

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Is that why Christians are so peaceful to each other?

zgmc likes this.
  8. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Which God?

zgmc likes this.
  9. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of an appeal to emotion. But yes, fools despise wisdom and instruction, but the wise know when they see an appeal to emotion, and also when can see the difference between instruction that is valid and when it is mere preaching.
    Ah, yes, and when the mother and father take opposite positions...
    They give instruction when you know no better, and mere opinion when you do. One should remain respecting of their positions as parents but appeal to their authority is fallacious as soon as you know what that means.
    Well, it would be nice if you finished the proverb rather than stopping at a colon. But ultimately all it says is if people suggest doing evil things... don't do it!! Wow. Deep, meaningful advice. Way to state the ****ing obvious!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Undoubtedly you will claim the Bible as being the original provider of such ****ing obviousness.

Be that as it may, please stop preaching.

zgmc and Kristoffer like this.
  10. timojin Valued Senior Member

1 . I am no preaching, I just copied .
    2 . Some Proverbs come from Egyptian and older cultures including Hebrews .
    3. It is obvious to you because you are an older person . It is written to young one which are growing up (My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: )
    4. If the father and mother take opposite direction on front of the children , they must be immature , this proverb is pertinent to them to.
    5 . We all are emotional , you are an emotional being also , even you pretend to be very rational. Again, you mind is set up calling this post preaching, What would you say if I would not have called bible but
    I would say, Confucius said ?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You could quote almost any set of moral standards, however strange, and they would create peace, as long as everyone believed and obeyed them. That's the hard part.

zgmc likes this.
  12. timojin Valued Senior Member

That is the point. We obey if we know there are consequences for not obeying , That is the point, fear make us obey

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And how do we know? Consequences not of this world remain a mystery.

14. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Real.

15. river

Real ? Continue.......

16. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

The One through whom all things are possible. Where no concept of self is the One known.

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

The problem is that the consequences are arbitrary. The gods kill everybody, whether they obey or not. The most faithful religionists are hit with earthquakes, plagues, etc. along with the most depraved. If you want to train a dog to be obedient, you have to be consistent. The gods need to learn that.

Kristoffer likes this.
  18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

To be honest... this is kind of preaching... per Merriam Webster:

You are, quite simply, preaching timojin - especially as your original post had no question or point of discussion, but was delivered simply as a statement (presumably of fact)

19. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The proposed relationship between fear and knowledge needs more explanation. (My guess is that the Hebrew word translated as 'fear' may not mean precisely the same thing as our English word. If so, then that needs more explanation.)

I'm inclined to doubt that fear is the beginning of knowledge. It seems to me that skeptical curiosity might be the best path to knowledge.

And just spiritually speaking, is fear really the best attitude for theists to take regarding their God? Might love or respect or appreciation be better?

Isn't it equally foolish to credulously believe anything we are told? Wisdom and instruction need to come from sources qualified to convey them. Recognizing them is often the hard part.

I agree that our parents, and the traditions that they ideally represent, should be listened to and heeded.

Don't fall in with bad influences. Ok, I can agree with that.

But what if the bad influences pretend to be sources of wisdom and instruction? How do we know who we should be listening to?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  20. river

Be more explicit. For go the connotations.

21. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Okay. If one begins on a path to nurture a relationship with God by devotion and guidance, they will find all things possible as miracles manifesting in their everyday lives. Everything can be explained by science.

22. river

Yet I find that in the end religion will be the down fall of Humanity. Humanity will be destroyed by god.

23. Spellbound Banned Valued Senior Member

Can you tell me how you arrived at the opinion that a benevolent all-knowing Being will deny us the choice to evolve?