For the record

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Jan 20, 2000.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Because it's actually important to me to climb out of the mire every once in awhile, I offer the following link with no more commentary than this sentence of introduction.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/news/nation-world/html98/amis_20000120.html

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    Take a side you say, it's black and gray. And all the hunters take the hunted merrily out to play. We are one, you say, but who are you? You're all too busy reaping in the things you never sown. And this beast must go on and on and on .... Nobody gives a damn. (Floater; "Beast")

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori Registered Senior Member

Why was this post-worthy? Just asking. Don't you wish more people solved their problems this way as opposed to hiring a lawyer and suing?

This isn't really funny, but there's Amish in the state where I live and in the paper the other day was the account of a buggy accident. Two teenage Amish boys were apparently "drag racing" at all of 5 mph or so, and one ran the other off the road and into a ditch. The boys were ok, but a horse died. Poor horse. It's just so ironic or something, I don't know. It just struck me as funny.

------------------
    "Go Jesus, go! Go Jesus, go!"

I finally get to be the cheerleader that I always wanted to be but could not, as I was not a fluff chick.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Lori--

Actually, I believe you have answered your own question.

As a Christian issue ... finding such avenues to resolve certain problems is, by my interpretation of my own Christian experiences, the appropriate way to resolve the issue at hand.

As a broader, human issue, though, I think it's a wonderful example of understanding.

For the benefit of our past disagreements, I offer a few points:

* You asked why the story was post-worthy. I actually would ask why it's newsworthy. Apparently, the acts of compassion which facilitated this result are unusual ... so much so that we, in Seattle, have heard about this traffic accident. This aspect I find disappointing.

* For all the harping I do about the difference between faith and practice, here is what I consider an excellent example of the union of the two. As I grew up to understand it, this was par for Christianity ... the lack of such "forgiveness" is one of the first things that whispered to me it was time to leave this faith ... but that's a sequence of events and applications of ideas much longer than I want this post to be. (I put "forgiveness" in quotes because I think there's more going on to the Amish mode in this ... perhaps it's the idea that there may actually be nothing to forgive; but again, this is a larger exercise in philosophy than is presently necessary.)

* And I did want you to see that there are aspects of Christianity which I can appreciate ... the application of Christian principle here is simple and direct, with few necessary justifications. In other wrods, I thought it would be a nice change to offer an example of Christian interpretation that did not involve the negative aspects we argue about.

BTW--I heard about the buggy-racing. We acknowledge the tragedy, and no, it's not funny ... but it is tough, sometimes, to not smile at that one. I feel badly about the horse, but it just goes to show that we all have to step up and do some odd things in our life in order to meet the abstract standards we set. This, I'm sure, had more to do with machismo than it did "the need for speed". But, either way ... it could have been much worse. Hmm ... maybe it's not necessarily irony that's funny (I don't know what the ironic counterbalance is here) ... but I might offer the humor of the absurd?

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    Take a side you say, it's black and gray. And all the hunters take the hunted merrily out to play. We are one, you say, but who are you? You're all too busy reaping in the things you never sown. And this beast must go on and on and on .... Nobody gives a damn. (Floater; "Beast")

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori Registered Senior Member

Well, Tiassa, I'm so impressed with you. I agree with what you've said here. It is a shame that this is news-worthy, but I do wish that more stories like that got some attention. I think more of this goes on than we hear about. Tragedy sells.

------------------
    "Go Jesus, go! Go Jesus, go!"

I finally get to be the cheerleader that I always wanted to be but could not, as I was not a fluff chick.