For This Metal, Electricity Flows, But Not the Heat:

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by paddoboy, Jan 29, 2017.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Look Paddo, I like the science references you post a lot, and your enthusiasm is greatly to be admired and encouraged. However I have to tell you I am now reporting instances of your constant, tiresome sniping, as it spoils so many of the good threads you start. For example I have just reported your last post - it is quite unnecessary, especially when you are talking to me and not whoever it is you are sniping at.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Again 10% of 100% is outstanding and awesome result, despite pedantic comments re "headlines" as I'm sure most of us are capable of reading beyond.
    And as with many other difficult goals, such as metallic hydrogen possibilities, warp drive research ect will continue as it should and as it will.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes.

In this instance, a penalty has been issued.

Your criticisms of the moderation of the forum are unwarranted, especially since you did nothing to draw moderator attention to this thread yourself. If you have a complaint, the best thing you can do is to hit the "report" button. In this instance, somebody else did so on your behalf.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

The wheels turn slowly at SF at times! But ok, fair comment overall.

8. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

4 minutes ago, paddoboy took this advice (given to Q-reeus) and filed a report over an alleged insult which already happened in this thread. He finishes with the passive-aggressive throwaway line: “I trust you will handle this as per forum standards.” which is almost as bad as the “Please conduct yourself accordingly.” which is found as boilerplate signoff for a class of meritless cease-and-desist letters from attorneys without actual facts and law to rely on.

So let's actually handle the complain by forum standards.
    I strongly object to the above inference, particularly the insulting "darling"comment.​
    "Strongly object" does not clarify what forum standard was implicated.
    What possible inference is being made? Context explains nothing. The problem exists between paddoboy's screen and chair.
    Is darling insulting? It's a diminutive, but advances no particular defamation. Let's consider it an pejorative insult and a breach of decorum.

Fine.
    [ Mod hat:
    Q-reeus: You are directed, darling, not to insult your fellow forum members. I'm invoking Senate Rule XIX and ordering you not to imply paddoboy is slight or cute or fawned upon by forum staff.
    10 warning points issued.

Paddoboy: You are also directed, not to insult your fellow forum members. You have made the above report at least partially for purpose of seeking revenge for being called out and such after-the-fact revenge is 1) a waste of forum resources, 2) a complaint made with unclean hands as you have JUST been warned for attacking Q-reeus when he was judged to be in the right and 3) contrary to the spirit of civility and generosity James R has recently extended to you.
    20 additional warning points to be handed out for using a time machine to go dig up issues to take offense at.
    ]

exchemist likes this.
  9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

When I logged in this morning, there were about 30 reports in the moderator queue. So, yes, these things can take some time to sort through.

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'm sure they do.

Re Q-reeus's scepticism about the moderation, I have found, since changing my own policy and making more use of the Report function, that it seems to work, with a certain time lag. I have even been surprised in the change of tone of at least one of our more irritating posters, who I suspect has now been warned sufficiently strongly that he is changing his behaviour.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

P.S. This is a thread with some real science in it. I hope we have stopped the rot in time to save it from being consigned to the cesspool.

dumbest man on earth likes this.
  11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I sort of follow the above

My question is can this substance absorb space radiation so we can at last go to the Moon?

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

No! This is not about absorbing alpha beta or gamma radiation.

And, you may have noticed, we have actually been to the Moon, in the 1960s, using conventional shielding.

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Sorry misunderstanding but I did sign off with Poe

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

What is Poe?

15. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I think Humpty's sibling - but I could be confused....

16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Poe's Law

Similar to Murphy's Law, Poe's Law concerns internet debates, particularly regarding religion or politics.

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

In other words, No matter how bizzare, outrageous, or just plain idiotic a parody of a Fundamentalist may seem, there will always be someone who cannot tell that it is a parody, having seen similar REAL ideas from real religious/political Fundamentalists.

My Poe version is don't take me seriously although I do put Poe

on serious post relying on the tone of the text to convey the sense of the post

May be I should text out Please ignore the above as it is a joke

But that sort takes the edge off and slows any readers brain to think in an analytical way what they are reading

And really I do believe that we went to the Moon and have looked at the didn't go stuff which I find stupid

Look out in a few years for

We are not on the way to Mars

which will be folllowed by

We never went to Mars tribe

Lots more here

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Poe's Law&amp=true

See above

Have not abandoned Humpty altogether but looking for a new and improved version

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Ah thanks. I'll watch out for these in future.

18. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

So, the carefully coordinated 1-2 whammy tactic. First the mild #23. Wait for expected response. Then hit hard with #25. Except, who is being shown up there in #25? You explicitly contradict your own judgement (first highlighted line above) by subsequently using the very same term yourself(second highlight). And expect respect. Not from me.

19. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

You see coordination, I see history contingent on paddoboy's and your behavior.

Well, it's a form of 11-dimensional chess. Absolute self-consistency is for economic students.

Not even Urban Dictionary supports the claim that the use of "darling" is insulting, per se. paddoboy has yet to make a case that it is in his village. Out of an abundance of caution, I have taken paddoboy's claim that you two are not in a relationship where the term has its normal value as an expression of affection at face value. (c.f. http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16600000/Lum-and-Ataru-urusei-yatsura-16626038-591-584.jpg ) To demonstrate to paddoboy that we take his input seriously, I inflicted upon you the standard package, including a PM conversation which is the only legitimate place to protest specific moderation action. (hintity-hint-hint)

Then I assigned paddoboy double of what I gave you for his kneejerk (if, as you indicated, somewhat predictable to those that know him) switch over to revenge mode.

You're unhappy, paddoboy is unhappy, and it could all have been avoided if either of you had the strength of character to use the report button in a timely fashion instead of replying in kind. Lessons have been communicated.

Timid moderators do not survive long in this environment.

20. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

OK you have given a response which I can live with for the most part. But as regards filing reports, my experience has been it's a waste of effort. Judging by zero feedback under Alert tab in almost every case. No point going over specifics to argue merits in each case, so nothing further to say.

21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I have to say that is not my experience. Though the wheels grind slowly, they do work in the end. I feel sure I have contributed to the extended holidays earned by several tiresome people. But a certain degree of patience is required, definitely.

22. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Mileage varies. Just why requires delving into 'history' here and to do so is not worth it. Cheers.

dumbest man on earth likes this.