For VI and other interested in Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Idle Mind, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Went for a ride tonight after work and made some better trail selections this time around. Had a much better time of things.

The bike is finally feeling pretty dialed as well. I have the Avid Elixir Rs now, 203 mm rotor up front and 185 mm on the back, and they have such great modulation it's crazy. Very powerful as well. The bike is fast. It loves the choppy technical sections and seems to float through them. Very confidence inspiring.

The main thing I will have to learn to be more careful of is pedal position. I have the sag set at 35% so the bottom bracket is quite low to the ground and the pedals and crank arms will strike the ground or rocks quite readily if I'm not paying attention to where my feet are. And, I think I need to add a bit of air to the fork since it's quite soft, and I need to play with the rebound setting to get it to pop a little more. It seemed kind of sluggish and wallowed a bit in certain situations (which is common for Marzocchi forks). I can improve that feel though, so it should be tweaked and tuned after the next ride.

I'm excited for the season; it's going to be a great one.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Any updates from anyone?

How's the riding been in the respective necks of the woods?

It was really dry here for a bit, but it's been raining on and off for the past couple days. Making the trails really tacky, but also making the roots a nightmare, and making rock faces that much sketchier. Still super fun though.

I also decided to dive in and have ordered a 2010 (wtf, I know) Boxxer WC. Should have it for the following weekend.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

No mountain biking, but I've been doing a fair amount of road riding. I did a century ride a couple of weekends ago. It took a little less than seven hours. It's pretty mild century, only 4,300 feet of climbing. The last time I did this particular one was 1990. I was in the best shape of my life then, and tore through it in five hours and twenty minutes.

I live about eleven miles from the start/finish, so I just rode in. The ride home was pretty slow going though. 122 miles in one day. I need to commit to another ride to give me incentive to stay in shape (and continue to get in better shape).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Jeez! Good on you for doing that ride. I did a few longer road rides on a commuter bike, and after 30 miles I was pretty bagged, and that's without the 4,300 vertical feet.

I'm impressed.