Fortean phenomena

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I agree with pretty much everything Paddo said there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

This is compelling evidence of spirit contact from the Scole experiments of the 1990's. (the first 7 minutes of the video) These were highly controlled seances held with a physical medium with film in a locked box that resulted in many outstanding images and writings. Included also is footage from a camera that filmed it's own viewfinder thru mirrors. All of this occurred in absolute darkness. Examine the evidence for yourself:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Lewis and Clark's mysterious booms:

http://www.lewis-clark.org/article/1468

"repeatedly witnessed a noise which proceeds from a direction a little to the N. of West as loud and resembling precisely the discharge of a piece of ordinance of 6 pounds at the distance of three miles. I was informed of it by the men several times before I paid any attention to it, thinking it was thunder most probably which they had mistaken. At length, walking in the plains the other day I heard this noise very distinctly. It was perfectly calm, clear, and not a cloud to be seen."-Meriwether Lewis, July 4, 1805..
    =================================================================
    ‘Mystery Booms’

"Over the last two weeks, residents in South Dakota and California experienced strange mystery booms that shook homes, jiggled windows, and definitely rattled a few nerves.

At 2:00 pm, on November 7th, the residents of the Black Hills area in South Dakota heard a large boom that shook their windows, and vibrated their houses. That very same sound was heard as far as Nebraska and Montana. According to Lane Pilster, a rancher in Alzada, Montana,

"The beginning of it was intense, but then faded off with a dull rumbling like a jet was flying by. The sound probably lasted about 8-10 seconds…"

According to the Black Hills Pioneer, no seismic activity or meteorological events were reported, and no industrial companies took responsibility for the sound."----http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/11/south-dakota-and-california-hit-by-wave-of-mystery-booms/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nina Kulagina and the Soviet experiments..

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

They should trouble you. For example, earlier this year in Australia, a science documentary on the supposed dangers of cell phone radiation was broadcast by the national broadcaster. Complaints were made and the programme was later found by a media watchdog body to be biased and inaccurate in many respects.

No doubt you would have taken everything said in that program as gospel truth, unless possibly it conflicted with some pre-existing notion you have regarding aliens and tin-foil hats or something.

I'm not the one posting dodgy video after dodgy video here, MR. That would be you. I've actually made very few claims, whereas you try to make new bizarre claims in almost every post you make.

And you talk about all my made up shit. Hmm... something about motes and beams goes here.

But every time I ask you to show me the actual science you claim is being done, you've got nothing.

Why is that?

Where are those reports are asked for? Do you have the list of controls they used in testing Chi Guru Dude? See my previous posts for further questions.

Now is your chance to set the record straight. Just post the "science" surrounding Chi Guru Dude.

But you won't. Instead, you will continue to ramble on about how science doesn't know everything and how I'm a bad person because I dared not to just unquestioningly believe the latest bullshit you served up.

There's certainly precious little in terms of support for any of the woo you peddle, as far as I can tell. If you had anything, you'd have posted it by now.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nope. That documentary doesn't trouble me either. See, I actually do background research on them and confirm their claims unlike you who apparently just parrots the corporate partyline:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...e-radiation-study-reignites-cancer-questions/

What makes the videos "dodgy" to you? Are they not clear enough for you? Is the lighting bad? Do the people in them perform like scripted actors? Surely there is some empiricle basis for calling these videos dodgy? I mean besides them just being about a phenomena you hope like hell doesn't exist.

You haven't proven any of the videos or articles I've posted yet to be fake. Why should I take seriously your claims that they are? Because it's possible? Right..and OJ might've been framed too. So much for the world of possibilities...

The video showed skeptics doing scientific tests on that chi master. Tests ruling out fakery. I guess you didn't watch it long enough to see that. That's typical for you..

What reports? I gave you video footage of the actual tests being done. It doesn't get any better than that. Besides, a written report could always be faked you know, especially by scientists who are always desperate to get funding.

I posted actual video footage of him performing amazing feats and scientific tests ruling out trickery. But since you just claim that the footage is faked, or that this humble spiritual man is some kind of secret Houdini conartist who's been fooling everyone around him for the few years he was followed around by the filmmakers, it really doesn't matter does it?

I rarely consult science about anything to determine what's real in my life. I have my own senses, and photographs, and videos, and eyewitness accounts, that pretty much cover all that for me. The day I have to run to some overpaid career-obsessed nerds in labcoats to tell me whether something is real or not, then I'll be done. Cuz we all know they're only going to say whatever advances their careers and their reputations in the eyes of their peers, and of their publishers, and of their funders, and of the scientific establishment in general.

Says the guy who flames me constantly and continuously whines about the evidence I post always being faked.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. Yazata Valued Senior Member

He has a whole bunch of peculiar reports.

What??? Post #1, 13, 18, 19, 29, 66 and 102, for starters.

You wrote something I disagree with James, so you must be lying. Any intellectually honest person would agree with me about everything. (This board is infested with disingenuous idiots.) Go look in the mirror and then ban yourself for seven days.

MR has plenty of evidence, it's just that you (and I) don't think that it's strong or convincing evidence. But our skepticism about the quality of the evidence doesn't mean that the evidence doesn't exist. MR's right about that.

Now, if MR wants to convince me that this stuff is true, my reply to him is similar to my reply to Spellbound when he was claiming that he could dim the ambient light in a room with his mind. I told Spellbound to go to the University of Toronto (Spellbound lived in the Toronto area) and visit the physics department and perform the light-dimming for them. The physicists would get all excited, smell possible Nobel prizes, and everything would be off and running. Spellbound even claimed once that he could conjure up a demon. I suggested that he perform that feat in front of the university's religious studies department.

I can imagine him telling them that he can conjure up demons and them telling him to go away. He could just smile, close his eyes, and there would be a crazy horned demon all smelling of sulfur. They would shit in their pants! I don't expect that will ever happen though.

Unfortunately, these miraculous feats that supposedly 'prove' that the physical universe is ultimately constructed by Mind, only happened for Spellbound when he was alone in his basement. And MR's evidence is just a bunch of internet videos of unknown provinence. I find them interesting, but unconvincing.

I do want to say that unlike 90% of Sciforums, I do accept the possibility of anomalous phenomena that violate our current preconceptions. In fact, I suspect that such things happen a lot more frequently than most people want to acknowledge. Denying them is a psychological way to convince one's self that everything is predictable, well understood and under control. But particular evidence of an individual anomalous event will need to clear a fairly high bar before I personally embrace it. (I treat anomalies in much the same way that David Hume treated religious miracles.) Anecdotal internet reports aren't sufficient to convince me. But I can't blithely deny that evidence exists, because that's just demonstrably false. I just consider most of it to be weak evidence.

I usually discover what the weather currently is by looking out the window.

I agree that they are reports of weird events. And I'm not convinced that posting about them on an appropriate forum is damnable heresy. But I'm still not convinced that they "have no explanation", or that whatever explanation they have falls outside the scope of the scientific belief system.

Magical Realist likes this.
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

What?....A bunch of u tube videos that anyone can fake and that the internet is full of? I mean, really! That's putting a whole new slant on gullibility!

Yes it is! I was debating one last night over two threads.....the same one who in a similar vane to MR, simply refuses to acknowledge that because something remains unexplained, does not mean it is supernatural, paranormal, or some Alien.

Unexplained, unidentified and unknown...Yes those sorts of phenomena will continue in this big wide wonderful universe that we inhabit. That doesn't mean it is anything paranormal, supernatural or Alien.
    And can you tell by looking out the window, what the weather will be like tomorrow? or the next day? Or next week?

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I've been reading the new book "The Super Natural: A New Vision Of The Unexplained" by Whitley Strieber and Jeffery Kripal. In it a remarkable story is told by a reputable professor of a University about an experience he had when he was in his twenties. It's one of those experiences that makes you wonder "well if this can happen, what else is possible?" Just as all fortean phenomena do. I will quote it here at length:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "One morning in August of 1980, at the age of 24, Dan was making a large batch of blueberry muffins in his kitchen. He had just finished mixing the wet ingredients with a cup of honey. Honey being honey, he got some on the lip of the jar and so washed the jar off in the sink and sat it down to drip dry. He then turned to the business of the dry ingredients. Walking over to the pantry, he reached for one of those old-fashioned metal flour tins. As he pulled the tin off the shelf, it suddenly got heavier. His unprepared hands could not hold on to the new weight, and the tin dropped to the floor. Here is what happened next, in Dan's own words, which he was kind enough to share with me at my request:

"Upon meeting the carpeted ground, the tin lost its lid and much of its powdery contents. Rather upset at myself, I kneeled to clean up the mess. Then came the electric discovery whose current still flows thru me. Enough of the flour had run out to reveal that something was buried at the bottom of the tin. Naturally curious, I dug thru the flour with my fingers and then pulled out, of all things, a glass honey jar exactly like the one I had held in my hands and washed a moment ago, a jar completely caked with flour---as if it had been placed in the tin still wet. Puzzled, I turned my head to assure myself that the bottle I had just rinsed was standing where I left it. It was not."

Dan stared for two minutes, examining the situation and its impossibility. "The fact was obvious. The wet honey jar had been moved from the sink and deposited on the bottom of the flour tin. The explanation, however, was not at all obvious...

..Not that Dan had an explanation. He did not, and he still does not. When Dan told this same story to a group of us at a private academic gathering, he added his own immediate conclusion at the time of the original event. "I knew at that instant," he explained to us, "that materialism is false."

From "The Super Natural: A New Vision Of The Unexplained" by Whitley Strieber and Jeffery Kripal, pgs. 199-201. Published 2016, Penguin Random House.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Supernatural

Belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination.
    —Edward Abbey

To the scientist the word "supernatural" is a contradiction. Everything that is in the universe is natural; the supernatural is the natural not yet understood. And that which is called the supernatural is often the figment of a disordered, undisciplined or undeveloped imagination.
    —Elbert Hubbard (1905) Little Journeys to Homes of Great Scientists

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What the hell is a disordered imagination? Is this a medical diagnosis or something this Hubbard guy just pulled out of his ass?

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not sure, other then to say it makes far more sense then some of the nonsensical arse pulled claims you have made over the years!

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Disordered imagination" makes sense to you? Can you quote a reputable psychiatric journal from the 21st century describing this new condition? What's the cure for this dreadful affliction? A big old fat dose of "because I told you so" Science?

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...#v=onepage&q="Disordered imagination"&f=false

http://thesaurus.yourdictionary.com/disordered
    Sentence Examples
    » more...
    • He was a man of vivid, but disordered, imagination, without possessing any conception of statesmanship

Read more at http://thesaurus.yourdictionary.com/disordered#faG9smPWUsXCYuRm.99

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I know how he felt.

One day I could not find my car keys.

I looked everywhere and finally gave up and decided to make a cup of tea.
    When I went to the fridge to get the milk I found my keys on top of the butter box on the top shelf.

How did they get there I will never know because I don't remember putting them there when I was cleaning up after lunch just before I was going to go out.

Did I put them away with the butter box when cleaning up and getting ready to leave?...no it had to be more than that, it is another unexplained mystery.

So I told some mates at the pub and one told how he found his car parked in his neighbours drive one morning and he definetly thought he had left it in his own drive the night before.
    He remembers because he had got home very late from the pub and decided not to put the car in his garage so he didn't make any noise opening the garage door.

But when he awoke the next afternoon the car had mysteriously moved into his neighbours drive.

Another mystery unsolved.

Alex

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Yeah..the mysteries of intoxicated misplacement are indeed interesting, but not even in the same league as this event.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well, I would say gullible, but again, if the cap fits, then wear it.

22. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So you don't believe what you quoted? How typical..

23. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Of course not the wet jar in the flour is really something.
    Oh and I was not drinking when I found my keys had disappeared so maybe that is a real mystery.
    Alex