Fountain of Youth

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Rambler, Feb 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Hi Again,
    In a recent 60 Minutes program (In Australia) they devoted the entire program to the future and what awaits us. A very reputable scientist (Aus again) stated that the todays younger generations (up to age 30 I think) will be either the last generation/s to die or the first to live forever. Apparently Genetic engineering is on the verge of being able to engineer a virus that you drink and it repairs your body so that you will in affect be no older (biologicaly) than about 20. We will be able to live upto the age of about 5000. Which according to him is as good as forever. He was then asked what do we do with population problems etc, his answer was I don't know but the cat is out of the bag -- so to speak. We will have the technology with in the next 40 years.

What do you guys think?, do we continue with this kind of research or do we let nature take its course? How many of you would be prepared to live to the age of 5000?

------------------
    work to LIVE...don't live to WORK.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Well you can be sure it won't be available to everyone, that's for sure.
    There would have to be radical and major restructuring of societies. Control of overpopulation will inspire formidable solutions I'm sure.
    Religions will probably become reduntant and ethics will fly out the window, as people realise that they don't really want to work hard for the next 4550 years.
    People will become lazy and unmotivated as time simply won't matter anymore. It will be a case of 'so much to do, so much bloody time to do it in - "oh sod it, I'll do it next millenium")

On the other hand, I can imagine the advantages of having people with great minds living and acquiring knowledge and wisdom for 5000 years.
    Oops, but then again I can imagine some really bad guys living and doing their thing for 5000 years (tremble).

The whole idea is actually quite mindboggling, strange, exciting and dangerous all at the same time.

------------------
    "The crows are already stoned", he said.
    With a look of dispassion on his sad face.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

There will be a huge need to move on to other planets. At the moment Terraforming and colonising Mars is a distant possibility. If we develop a medical tech that will extend our life span by such a huge amount then this will become a nessessity. I believe that we are in point of technical evolution where our technology is growing at a very fast rate and I believe exponetial nature. WE will probably not be able to recognise the planet in 20 years, and in 30 it will be all that much more advanced. You can't keep this kind of tech hidden for long so maybe we will be the last to die, but then again..............

Its very interesting what this would do to our social structure, if the human race as a whole would survive?. We have enough trouble trying to avoid wars now imagine a 5000 year old grudge, WOW!!!!!!.

What are your opinions, is the human being able to cope with such a long life?, especialy the first generation to recieve the treatment, a generation that for say 40 years of their lives expected to die by 70-80???.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.