Fourth Dimension Theories

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by kame, Jun 21, 2007.

1. kame Registered Member

I thought about the patterns through all of the dimensions. I was just wondering what the intellects of this community think of my naive ideas.

Starting with one dimension, if you have a line segment, and you cut it in half, the area of division is a point, one dimension less than the one you're in. If you have a square, and divide it in half, you get a line, one less dimension. If you have a cube, you divide it in half using a plane. Assuming the fourth dimension is time, you would cut it in half using a 3d figure. The 3d figure can go on infinitely, as did the other bisectors. Here is where I fail to visualize dimensions. (What if you go below the first dimension?.......) This idea works with all 3 simple dimensions, so it should continue to work, in theory.
    Building on this, starting back from the first dimension, visualize a line. Now fold it in half. You enter the next dimension by folding it in half...

fold it

\ /
    .\ /
    ..\ /
    ...\/

You are in two dimensions now, up and sideways. Now, imagine you have a square. Fold that in half, and you require a third dimesion. Now, using a box, you fold it. What dimension do you enter?

The third isolated idea is how to visualize time. I'm not sure how to start this off, and I have tried with numerous sentences, but... Imagine you have a black box. It shows three dimensions. If you pick up this box, you are changing its position on the infinite planes. Time also plays a part. You wouldn't just graph a big black rectangle-thing that shows every postion it has been in. Can't you represent the effects of time using color? Looking at a flat plane from above, seeing depth and width, let's say you have two people walking. One is walking from top to bottom, the other from left to right. Using no color, you see that they have crashed. Using visible color, you can now tell that they did not crash. It constantly flows from red to violet, and you see that one stream is yellow at the point of intersection, and the other is blue. Completely different times.
    It makes sense how time never began and will go on forever, just as the three dimesional planes never begin nor end.

Please tell me if my ideas are correct!

thank you for reading, I didn't mean to write a story or anything. (wow, it did go through. Last night, either my computer was having trouble like always, or the site was down)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007