Fraggle Rocker, slander and inappropriate comments

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by S.A.M., May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

From the thread on President Obama throwing Israel under the bus:

I'd like to hear admin and moderator feedback on the appropriateness of this post in the above named thread in the Politics World Events forum

What recourse do members have to moderators who stalk and slander them?

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well, you can't call him a dick...that's against the rules.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Well, those members who also have moderators that follow them around and defend them from detractors, could presumably appeal directly to said "Guardian Angel" moderators for some help. Supposing they don't mind being infantilized and tokenized more than they already are, that is.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Just pm the fraggle and tell him it's out of order to diss you or any other poster in public just so he can get a cheap laugh at someone else's expense.

9. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

When somebody trolls me, I deal with them as I deal with any troll. This whether they be a regular troll, a mod, an admin or nobody of significance.

I have stalkers that have followed me from site to site for more than 10 years now, a site admin who threatened to shoot me - and posted up his picture with his big old 44 revolver. (I kept a copy, still have it).

"It's best when they do it to themselves." Said a friend.

Anyone who plays those games will indeed do it to themselves, sooner or later. Frag has a rep here. It is up to him how he builds it. Like anyone else here or elsewhere - if he is too obnoxious for too long, everyone will know and they will start to note it.....

I have been watching it progress for a while now...little comments here and there, pix with subtitles etc etc. I am glad that I am not in that space myself, but then, that is me.

Stay within the rules and play smart would be my advice. People who get set on harassing others make many mistakes besides that one.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In general, I agree with you - I try and keep my comments limited to criticism of ideas rather than personalities. I also tend to overlook aspersions made in the course of debate since well, we are all human and we tend to get emotionally invested in our own opinions and take personal umbrage at being challenged on our ideas.

But this post was specifically a troll post, i.e. it made no contribution to the topic, no point I made was specifically addressed or rationally countered and in fact, the sole purpose seems to have been to make crass comments about my integrity. I have overlooked several similar posts by Fraggle in the course of debates, but this one has crossed a line.

So, I have decided to take a stand on it.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

??

Question about definitions here: how is any of that slander? I think the word you're looking for is libel, which it doesn't seem to be either. And if it's not slander libel, is it really inappropriate?

12. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Words posted are fair game to show as honest or dishonest.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Stating the Obvious

I think you already know the answer to that question, in both theoretical and practical contexts.

That is: Theoretically, plenty. Practically speaking, though? Probably nothing.

Barring any drastic change in policy outlook, I do not expect the administration to be especially (i.e., at all) troubled by the episode.

As Stoniphi noted, "Frag has a rep here. It is up to him how he builds it."

14. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

I find that the lion's share of your criticism addresses national character, with occasional forays into the damning of the moral character of certain specific sub-national political groups and individuals. All of which is a matter of "personalities;" "ideas" only figure in so far as they make easy pretexts for bombast directed at personal/group/national character (typically via superficial misconstrual or other such cheap tactics).

I do not think that you will fool anyone with these rosy self-characterizations; you've burnt far, far too many bridges for that. All you accomplish with such transparently self-serving lies is to demonstrate yet more basic disrespect for everyone else here.

Pretty funny complaint, considering your characteristically tenuous adherence to topicality, in that very thread and many others.

Specifically, that your lack of integrity makes it pointless - even, counterproductive - to specifically or rationally address or counter any point you advance. That's the reputation you've energetically cultivated here, for years on end. It's a point that arose in that very thread, in direct response to such behavior, and which Fraggle addressed - he did not simply pop in and interject his view, but offered it to another poster expressing frustrations that he felt familiar with.

You should worry less about what Fraggle does or doesn't say about you, and more about the fact that you've spent years energetically cultivating such a reputation. If these reactions are somehow coming as a surprise, then I must say that I feel rather sorry for you. The gap between your self-image, and the reality that you present, must be very taxing indeed.

There are problems with Fraggle as a moderator. Honest description of yourself, and the futility of engaging with you in good faith, is not among them.

You should be worried about the fact that Fraggle's indictment has legs - and represents more than just his personal opinion - than the fact that he voiced it. Him keeping quiet about such isn't going to change anything that matters.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Fraggle has been acting awfully (uncharacteristically) prickish lately, wtf gives man?

16. Bells Staff Member

We have one member making deplorable, racist and bigoted stereotypical comments about another member, and we now have a moderator step in and make equally deplorable comments about said member and both without sanction. But I forget. It's Sam. So white male members on this forum are allowed to make such statements and white male moderators are allowed to make comments about her being their fucking "rite of passage".

Thank you Fraggle.

For lumping us all in with you with your little "Sam is our little private joke. You're in on it now, a rite of passage..." comment. What you have effectively done is make the incorrect assumption that we somehow agree with you and made it public.. being the big man and big moderator. Tell me Fraggle, how will others interpret that "rite of passage"? Which other female member formed a part of your "rite of passage"?

With that little statement Fraggle, you have cost us all any level of credibility we have had left. Do you have any idea how insulting you have been, not just to Sam, but to us, your fellow moderators? The only thing that comes to mind is "fuck you" Fraggle.

You do not represent me.

17. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I think Fraggle wants to join the Old Bastards Club.

This has chapters for grumpy old bastards, crazy old bastards, and silly old bastards.
    We're trying to incorporate more, but, well, the OBC can only get so big before administrative problems start to crop up at the AGMs, you know?

Now, if you'll excuse me, my club needs some more rusty old nails.

18. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

He's in the high wisdom club, for his posts are ever filled with golden ore.

19. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

SAM you are an obvious manipulator and troublemaker IMO and you deserved to be called on it whenever you decide to put these less than admirable attributes into practice.

Grow a pair of balls for Allah's sake, you basically called me an ignorant American and I did not go crying to any moderators!

Why get upset when people call you on your propaganda and persuasion?

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you expected any better bells? i thought you were smarter than that, from word go he had jumped in where ever he feels like it using his "Linguistics mod" statice as "spelling police". He has used that to harrass and ridicule as he saw fit with impunity. Why did you think he was anything but a racist and sexist pig?

21. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

I can almost hear SAM giggling in India! What fools!

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thats actually irrelivent, what he did would earn any other member an instant ban.

23. John99 Banned Banned

WOW...Everyone has bad days, problems at home they dont discuss here etc. You wouldnt want people saying that about you when you came off the wrong way once in a while. And i am not part of any clubs here or cliques, no interest in it really...here or anyehwere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.