Frame dragging and univeral expansion

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Anton, Jul 15, 1999.

1. Anton Guest

Hello everyone. To start off I would appreciate all ill willed and negative comments be kept to one's self. I'm 15 years old and still in highschool, much of what I know about physics and astronomy in general is from the internet so bare with me. I was curious about frame dragging. Yes, I believe that is what it is called. I read somewhere that it was observed in space when mass moves and drags a bit of space-time behind it. I was wondering if this occurs when the galaxies rush away from one another due to univeral expansion. It would seem to me that it wouldnt because the galaxies are not pulling on spacetime, but spacetime is dragging them with it as it expands. Any comments are welcome thank you.

-Anton

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I don't know about 'baring' with you; maybe we should get to know each other better first

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Frame-dragging indeed occurs on all scales, at all speeds. However, the effect becomes significant enough to observe with current technology only in extreme relativistic conditions (high spacetime curvature, high relative speed).

The spacetime doesn't drag galaxies anywhere; it merely expands. Within spacetime, the galaxies aren't moving at the expansion rate; they are rather orbiting each other at much slower speeds, while the distance between them gets larger and larger because the spacetime gets 'inflated'. If you think I'm nuts, you are probably right; this stuff gets to you after a while...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anton Guest

First off I'd like to thank boris for answering some quesitons i had. I knew he'd come through. Second of all, I'd like to hear what anyone else's thoughts are on this subject. Thank you

-Anton

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.