Free energy device in trials - radical claims and radical proving methods

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Quantum Quack, May 26, 2007.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Just got wind of this project underway for the last three years or so in Ireland.

http://www.steorn.net/

Any one heard of this before now?

n.b. have check for trojans at web site etc and all appears very legit.
    Have a read and tell us what you think.
    I have also subscribed to their e-mail notification of developements and no advertising is present both in site and in e-mails.
    apparently over 75000 persons have subscirbed so far

They took out an advertisment in a ecconomic magazine at a cost of $185000 aud
    to issue a challenge to the scientific community to build their patented device.
    Apparently they patented components as the whole device is disallowed form patenting.

No technical info is available at the site
    Care to discuss?

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The only thing that matters here is the verdict of the 22 scientists and engineers chosen to validate their device.

Steorn says they will be holding a public demo in London sometime in July.

They've spent a lot of their own money on this (without asking for any outside investment), and if it turns out to be bogus the company will be going bye bye in a big hurry.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The whole thing is pretty amazing. I keep looking for the catch or hoax. But can't find any...we just have to wait and see I guess.....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Steorn Ltd. is a small privately held technology development company based in Dublin, Ireland.

The company briefly drew the attention of the mainstream media in August 2006 by placing a full-page advertisement[1] in The Economist,[2] claiming to have developed a technology that produces "free, clean, and constant energy" and challenging the scientific community to review its claim.

This is, in essence, a claim that the company has developed free energy technology, or a perpetual motion machine. Such technology would violate the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and the first law of thermodynamics in particular. To date no evidence to support the company's claim has been made public. Beginning in January 2007, a panel of 22 scientists chosen by Steorn began the process of validation of Steorn's technology, branded "Orbo". In a video released on 13 April 2007 the company announced that a public demonstration of the technology would be held in London in July 2007.[3]

re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steorn

8. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

It's hard to get excited over it, with the only real description of the technology that I see being, "Orbo is based upon the principle of time variant magneto-mechanical interactions."

I've seen other devices that claim to use magnets to create "free" energy, and they invariably have not when you take everything into account, including the gradual degaussing of the magnetic fields being used.

9. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I read about that company on Wikipedia a few months ago. It seems to have nothing to distinguish it from the hundreds of other snake oil vendors. We shall see though.

Apparently they have presented zero evidence so far, and first announced their device to the media rather than the scientific community. That doesn't bode well.

10. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Their first annoucement to the media (in The Economist) was an invitation to the scientific community to come and test their device.

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

and they spent over $185000 aud on that advertisement.

Now I don't know about you but to spend that kinda money asking for scioentific validation and then building a web site with out a shread of net advertisemnt or asking for money certainly aint your usual hoaxa....IMO
    not even asking for investors....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

35 odd days to go and we shall all find out....

however it is possible that some one has worked out a clever scam.....

12. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

It'll definitely be interesting to see what happens, ive seen the head engineer in various videos and comes across as a very switched on, level headed guy.
    My only worry is even if their discovery is genuine, there's still not alot to stop the jury claiming some form of fraud is taking place with perhaps the caveat that they cant actually discern how the fraud is being commited.
    If there's any truth to this claim atall i can see lot of writs and counter-writs being issued left right and centre probably resulting in nothing more than a mutual stalemate. 'we think you're hoaxing us but we just cant prove it'

13. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Ah there's the stalemate.

14. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Why would there be a controversy if they came forward and said the device worked, and had indisputable evidence?

15. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Because it violates one of the fundamental 'laws' of physics, also id imagine alot of them are simply worried about it all turning out to be an elaborate hoax somewhere down the road and in turn having their reputations completely ruined.

16. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Well

hmmm...

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Exactly! And it's just a hoax even if some of the people involved don't realize it yet! If they DO make good on releasing info by the end of this month, there will be a lot of red faces immediately and very soon you'll hear no more about it from the original sources.

18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yeah of course it does seem to be an awful quiet Steorn at the momento. July has arrived and no clear agenda for demonstration has been published.
    The web site is quiet as well, with seemingly no changes.

Conspiracy theorists would reckon that they have been quietly neutralised. Steorn and management team no longer exists except as a memory.

However this itself makes no sense because if I was Steorn I would make sure that there would be thousands of files scattered globally waiting to be released in the advent of an intervention. So as this seems to be a way to obvious strategy I would not subscribe to conspiracy theories.

Remembering that the CEO has emphatically declared he has a working device and that the scientists jury is only for the publics need. He could very easilly have many devices placed all over the world waiting for release.

we will just have to wait and see I guess....

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

But if he has an working device, then what need is there for scientists?
    Why not just put Orbo batteries and motors on the market? Who wouldn't buy one?

I'd be willing to wager a very amount at very low odds (I'll bet my house against your $100) that Orbo will not meet Steorn's claims within the year. Or ever, actually, but I want to collect some time

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

New announcement from Steorn:
    http://www.steorn.net/news/releases/?id=1001
    Anyone in London?

21. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Update:
    I found a live link to camera 4. It's the only camera active, and isn't showing much right now:
    http://www.astream.com/live/steorn/camera4.html

And more info (posted 2 hours before this post) from Steorn:
    http://www.steorn.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=58649&page=1#Item_0

It says they have technical issues, will have a technical meeting in the morning, and plan to turn on the web streaming about lunch time (London time - so maybe 11-12 hours from this post's timestamp), working or not.
    They also promise more updates in the morning (again, London time. I'm expecting maybe 7-8 hours from now).

... And here's a funny thread at Steorn's forum regarding the latest update:
    http://www.steorn.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=58650&page=1#Item_0

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It takes a hell of a lot to put a product on the market, you know.

23. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Especially one that doesn't work with the lights on