Fuck

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Agent@5, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Ubermich... I wish I'd written that when i was sober, I'm sure i could have done a much better job of it. Having said that, it's good to see a healthy sense of humour

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Xev... Oh, I don't know. I get much the same reaction after telling someone that they really out to think about being defenestrated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Calling a man a bitch is effective? I laugh if someone calls me that. Bitch is an extremely weak word; fuck, it can be used to describe any woman at all according to most men (and women for that matter). Whore? Same deal. Never had the pleasure of being called that but thinking about it I think I'd just kind of chuckle if someone called me a whore. And swearing in other languages. I use to do that with Russian. Then it just started looking pathetic. People who do that always look like they're too afraid to say it in English. You want to call me a dickless piece of shit? Fine, then say it to me. It's like having an inside joke with someone else, then blurting out the punchline when the other person isn't around; everyone's just going to think you're an idiot.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Such matters aside, what in particular makes a word a "bad" word? Why is Fuck not ok, but sex ok? What makes poop a cute thing babies say, but shit something bad that you don't want children to hear?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

The choice of swear words can totally reflect the character of a person.

When a person decide not to swear at all, that can mean many things. It can mean the person is trying to be a saint, like buhddist monks, but 99% of the time that is not the case. (99% is a conservative estimate) For most people civility at all cost is a sign of weakness. It could mean the person is totally paralyzed by the potential negative consequences that the fear prevents the person from swearing. It could mean the person doesn't swear just because he is taught to do so by teachers or parents and for no other reason. It could mean the person is so bogged down by the corporate culture part of our society that the person is willing to be a slave of it, or it could just mean the person is willing to give up his/her personality, soul, and freedom in order to thrive in the society. It could mean the person is insencere, ingenuine, and manipulative. Some people "calculate" their every move. When all your moves have to be carefully planned, you will find swearing is very rarely necessary. Swear words are associated not with logic but emotions. It could mean the person has none.

Excessive use of the word fuck or shit means the person lack creativity and probably low on IQ. It doesn't take much to be excessive because fuck and shit are way over used. They already lost their meaning and effectiveness. I very rarely use those two words.

The curse words I like to use is "YOU FAG". "That is totally gay" "That is the gayest idea I have ever heard" "Shut your cake hole you faggot." "What a bunch of fags." That is my choice of swear word for the following reasons. The word fag or gay sound so reckless. It can get you into a lot of trouble. You can easily antagonize people who are politically correct. You can easily be labeled as homophobic. You can also be mistaken as a redneck/hick or uneducated or retarded or an asshole. However, I really don't have to worry about any of these things in real life. I have a pleasantly intelligent geeky look, especially when I wear glasses. That is something I am born with and used toward my advantage very often. With the different body language applied, you can achieve different effect. It can sound courageous, daring, fearless, or macho, or humourous, or rebellious. Oh yes, it can be awefully insulting too, especially when it is combined with your middle finger and say "you fucking fag". It is excellent for road rage.

Okay, those words are not for everyone. You must use it with care. It takes a lot of practice to use it properly.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The use of swear words (cussing) is something I grew up hearing. My father was actually quite fluent in the vernacular.

I find it rarely necessary to use them. I save those times for when I actually want to express just how teed I am. I find it rarely needed. I see quite a few shocked faces if I do so indulge, simply because those that know me also know just how rare it is. As such, the use drives home with force, my feelings much more effectively.

Constant use lowers the effect dramatically. As Joeman says it shows lack of creativity and a lack of being able to express oneself adequately. Those people need to return to school and relearn the language. Also how to think and express themselves.

9. ubermich amnesiac . . . Registered Senior Member

joeman:

i dont know you very well. tell me youre joking:
    first, this contradicts your last paragraph. you say fuck/shit can get you mistaken for the uneducated, but then you concede that saying "fag" can as well. what in the fuck?

this is quite politically incorrect and morally repugnant. ill wait for you to say that youre not joking before i say anything else. im hoping that the little big-toothed smilies face at the bottom of your post means that you are.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

Nobody ever knows if Joeman is joking or not. It's one of the great unsolved mysteries of the cosmos. I think he just enjoys pissing people off.

Anyways Joeman, look where it got your friend Erin during her flamewar.

"Fag"
    "Your point being?"

I actually used this once to get rid of some idiot who was annoying me. The look on his face was funny.

Squid Vicious:

A man after mine own heart. I love the thought of them thumbing through dictionaries to understand my insults.

11. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Well arent you two just Speshul. It's nice to know that merely refraining from swearing apparently raises the IQ by a few points... maybe I'll try that sometime.

12. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

You don't know anyone well, but why don't you imagine your own buddies saying it and tell me you are going to slam him right on the spot.

I was not joking when I posted it, but I am almost always joking when I apply it. As I said before, those are not the words for everyone. They need to be applied correctly and carefully. When you do they definitely beat fuck or shit.

I said it is only useful for a situation like in a road rage, when it is always their fault. You don't see that person ever again unless you are really unlucky.

True and true. That is why I use it. If I am a saint, I wouldn't be friends with Mallory Knox. If you don't know who she is, do a search on thread "Mallory Knox" or "Moderator". I am responsible for bring her to this forum, although I really didn't expect her to act the way she did.

I use all kinds of jokes - gay jokes, ethnic jokes, blonde jokes, sick jokes....nothing is off limit for me except for those jokes that are not funny at all. For me if a joke is funny, it is not offensive. Only people who can tolerate political incorrectness and have thicker skin can be my friend. Saying those words is a good way to weed out potential friends from acquaintances.

13. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

A great mystery of the cosmos should remain unsolved, but I don't enjoy pissing people off. I enjoy making people laugh.

A death penalty from sciforums unfortunately.

Here is a better line for you. "Hey you fag, why don't you bend over right here and let me fuck you with a strap on".

14. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

If you lack the IQ it is difficult to do.

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

Joeman:
    Bah. No enlightened and semi-intelligent person would regard "fag" as an insult.

Of course, "enlightened and semi-intelligent" is saying a lot.

No, actually it was her gloating over 9-11 that made me decide to rip her into teeny-tiny little Erin bits.

That was fun. Especially when Primeval Beauty started describing how she would kill Mallory.

Squid:
    Well said. A person's intelligence is not measured by how much they swear, but by the quality of their ideas and their ability to grasp other ideas.

16. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I want to go back to a point I was trying to make. It takes balls of steel to use the word fag in public, because all it takes is 2 out of 100 people getting offended to get you into a lot of trouble. There are always people like GB-GIL "I am going to report you to the moderator" the brat. He folded like a lawn chair in last flame war, now he tries to get me banned. But anyway, you have to be very good to use the word fag effectively and not getting yourself into trouble.

She didn't mean it. You were wrong about her in many things like you were wrong about me.

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

Joeman:
    So? I know if I were to start using the word "nigger" I would get my ass kicked within days of starting. Does that mean I am a coward for not saying nigger all the time - actually, at all?

I don't think so. I simply don't use it because it's offensive and racist and I am not such a person.

Well, offensive, but not in that way.

18. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

It totally depends on the circumstance. No it doesn't make you a coward, but it makes you very different if you use it effectively. Sometimes it is so shocking people can't help but laugh. Can you imagine "fag" being used in corporate meeting?

Now the situation with GB-GIL is totally different. If I am in a war I don't believe anything should be off limit. When you fight in a war, you don't see your enemy say "your tanks are too big. That is illegal."

Xev, actually I think you are right. I think over the internet guerrilla warfare is superior over full frontal assault. Sniper rifles beat nukes. Damn!!!! You rock

Haha. I am eeeeeeviiiiiiiieal

19. ubermich amnesiac . . . Registered Senior Member

joeman:
    i'm sorry, i'm not trying to insult you or appear condescending by asking, but do you just enjoy pissing people off over the internet and using discriminatory rhetoric because it boosts your ego? purely a question. you did say that you looked nerdy and goofy. i can't imagine what that does to your self-esteem.

in any case, i think you are an idiot if you really are serious about this one.
    okay, even if you are correct that the use of 'fag' is acceptable in some circumstances, those circumstances are almost certainly limited to excursions with beer buddies. corporate meeting? are you fucking kidding? just because "it is so shocking people can't help but laugh."? yeah, they'll laugh, then censure you in private. if you're lucky, you might even get fired.

i dont think its always bad to say stuff like that. the use of this type of rhetoric, racist/sexist words, must be used by the people targetted to change their meaning. it gives them sociopolitical power. "nigger" is now now not necessarily an insult, because blacks have coopted it. even trivial shit like 'yankee doodle dandee' back around the american revolution is an example...

20. imagepro Registered Member

What a fucking great idea, to run an entire fucking thread with such an awesome fucking word.

Ooops it is getting fucking serious.

21. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

OR... you could just try being civil, polite, et cetera. Just a suggestion.

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"i'm sorry, i'm not trying to insult you or appear condescending by asking, but do you just enjoy pissing people off over the internet and using discriminatory rhetoric because it boosts your ego?"

I wouldn't take that too far. Some of your good friends on here take pleasure in pissing people off.

23. ubermich amnesiac . . . Registered Senior Member

tyler:
    ??? well, true. i think a good friend of mine who does this does it for either 1)a much more noble reason because she/he is trying to discover something about his/herself, or 2)bc there is something personal between him/her and the person he/she is pissing off. in any case, i think either of those reasons is better than using 'fag' any chance you get for no real reason at all.