Fun Distraction: Alien Encounter Scenario!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dufoe, Jul 26, 2013.

1. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Well your presidency will not be long, if such an action would be taken.

There is no sound in space, thus no sound waves.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

No sound? Then how does a astronaut hear his friend in space?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

if he is doing an EVA than through digital intercom that relays the data through radio transceiver. Inside the station or space vehicle though, there is air, so its normal speech.

http://www.spaceref.com/iss/eva.wardrobe.in.space.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

those sneaky aliens think of everything!

8. brucep Valued Senior Member

That's your opinion. Unfortunately your opinion is nonsense. Nobody is making any decisions based on the Drake equation and faith is a religious concept not a scientific one.

9. brucep Valued Senior Member

I'm an atheist so I never take anything on faith. How you got that from my post is beyond me.

10. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

Well, now I think human can not against alien

11. CHRIS.Q Registered Senior Member

Because they can be remotely interstellar voyage, humans can not

12. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

geez mate lighten up. i was referring to people on internet forums placing to much "faith" in the drake equation by thinking that if they just plugged "good guesses" in, or not "good guesses" then they would have a answer. i was merely pointing out that some aspects of the equation we know quite well, some are as yet untested and some downright made up. and the reason i put "faith" in quotes was to point out the misguided view.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I didn't get that from your post.
    As I said, my faith in ETL being out there sometime, somewhere is based on the extreme numbers and content involved, plus the stuff of life being everywhere we look. So I prefer to call that faith, a logical assumption.
    The Drake equation, if anything, probably underscores the possibility of the existence of ETL anyway.
    But anyway, faith certainly does in situations and circumstances, exist within science....Just ask Maxy Planck.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

i'll add that i consider myself to be an agnostic as i see that position as more scientific than atheism. i'm pretty much agnostic in all ways. "show me the proof."

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Far more scientific also to ask for evidence to support a claim/model/hypothesis, both observational and experimental....No real proof in science anyway.

16. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

yes, it should be "show me the evidence".

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I think it was Carl Sagan who said something like: There probably is intelligent life out there but they haven't been here because there are so many other interesting places to visit. (It's like sitting on a side road in Oklahoma and wondering where all the tourists are. They're in France.)

All I have to compare them with is human history. Like the European discoverers of America, they would probably do as they pleased and treat the indigenous lifeforms like part of the landscape.

There's no reason to think that humans will ever band together for "the good of mankind". Some of us would side with them.

18. Gorlitz Iron Man Registered Senior Member

+++ = reply.

19. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

@youreyes,
    If I wouldn't make it president. I would still fight here against aliens. But any president has a bunch of others to bounce ideas around. If my idea would not work someone would tell me so. Like you did. So I don't have to come up with a idea all on my own.

20. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

so you need smart scientist like me ^.^

21. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

PaddoBoy: My view relating to the rarity of a technological culture elsewhere was discussed in detail in several threads. The basic concepts are as follows.

There is a habital zone for a planet & a habitable zone for a galaxy. The first is obvious. The second is not so obvious. Basically, too close to the center rapidly moving stars & radiation makes life difficult to maintain. Too far from the center & the heavier elements like carbon, oxygen, iron are almost nonexistent.

A stable solar system for billions of years seems necessary for the evolution of intelligence. This & the requirement for habital zones cut down the odds.

The history of the Earth indicates that life is likely to occur soon after suitable conditions for it exist.

The history of the Earth indicates that a technological culture is very unlikely.

Note that dinosaurs existed for circa 150 Million years. The last of them were not much smarter than the early ones. This indicates that intelligence is not an inevitable result of evolution.

The Neandertals & the Denosavans seemed to be potentially as smart as Homo Sapiens, but did not survive long enough to develop technology much beyond the Stone Age.

The primate body plan seems to be the only candidate for a technological species. Yet most species of primates were evolutionarily successful without developing technology.

The above suggests that many galaxies have no technological cultures & few (if any) have more than one.

BTW: The Drake equation is a joke. It is merely organized guess work. Analysis of the history of the Earth is a better way to estimate the odds for/against the evolution of a technological culture.

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm not going to go through all of your points, suffice to say some of them are irrelevent and some just plain wrong.

The sheer enormity and near infinite [if not infinite] size of the Universe, and the vast near infinite numbers of planets, and stars that are involved, together with the stuff of life being everywhere, is in my opinion, ample reason for science to assume that ETL most probably exists somewhere sometime.
    I find that assumption as reasonable as any other scientific assumption, such as for example the assumptions of the Isotropic and homogenious nature of the Universe.
    To deny such probable assumptions, is to highlight the arrogance of human kind and the centralist doctrine that governed and severely curtailed our scientific knowledge for many eons.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

On the Drake equation....
    WIKI:
    The Drake equation is a probabilistic argument used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy. The equation was written in 1961 by Frank Drake not for purposes of quantifying the number of civilizations,[1] but intended as a way to stimulate scientific dialogue at the world's first SETI meeting, in Green Bank, West Virginia. The equation summarizes the main factors which scientists must contemplate when considering the question of other radio-communicative life.[1] The Drake equation has proved controversial since several of its factors are currently unknown, and estimates of their values span a very wide range. This has led critics to label the equation a guesstimate, or even meaningless.

What they fail to say, is that the Drake equation is a probabilistic argument for "LIFE AS WE KNOW IT", and is why if anything, that it actually under estimates our view of the galaxy we are a part of, the Observable Universe, and of course beyond the observable Universe.