future of genetics

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by awhimsicalfire, Feb 19, 2004.

1. awhimsicalfire Registered Member

One of my high school biology teachers told our "genetics/bacteriology/embryology" class that within 5-10 years, the field of genetics will be one of the most booming and in-demand work fields in the world. One day I want to study genetics and hopefully get a job within this field, but I have a few questions about it. First, is this true that genetics will be so in-demand in the near future, and if so, how? What kinds of jobs are going to to be/already are offered dealing with genetics? What can high school and college age kids do now to ensure getting this jobs in the near future? Do colleges offer majors in "genetics and genetic research"? If not, what do students major in to pursue a career in genetics, just general biology?

If anyone can answer these questions I'll be extremely grateful. I'm seriously considering a career in this field because I love it, but I don't have a clue as to what's out there/what will be out there in a few years. Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I advice you to follow your interests and not pay too much attention to what will have a future. Do you really want to work in the field of genetics if you are not truly passioned about it? Ask youself what interests you most in biology and follow that path. I can tell you that I made the mistake by doing what people expected from me: apply for a top lab in genetics. But is t what I truly am interested in. Now I am looking at evo-devo positions and don't really care if they are the 'best' labs. That is because what is best for you is not always best in the eyes of others.

But since you 'love' it this shouldn't be a problem. If you are interested in developmental biology genetics is THE thing in the drosophila field and also the top labs working on other model systems do the same. It will then depend on your own capabilities and your network.

I don't know about other fields in biology.

You always have the be careful with 'demand in the future.' The thing is that science is a luxury article. The demands for certain subsets of science varies. What is in demand now can lose its appeal in 5 years. Extrapolations on what will be hot in 10 years are therefore difficult. It is dependent on funding and funding is not predictable. The government might decided in 10 years that science is unimportant.

That said, there should always be a need for good geneticists. I can't really see how that will change in the near future. But if the funding disappears slowly you might find the competition harder. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you are good. But I think this is valid for all professions.

So in conclusion, genetics is quite a solid choice in my opinion for what it is worth.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

I agree with what spuriousmonkey posted, but have some other stuff to say -

What is likely to be more industrially in demand is molecular genetics. The truly cutting edge stuff in this field is moving closer to molecular modeling driven by the need to synthesize all the information into predictive models. This is also critical for developing/modifying genetic systems in the context of genetic engineering etc.

I find that kind of work very fascinating, and may be biased in my beliefs about it's importance as that's what I do, but if you don't find it interesting you may want to think twice. Traditional genetics is still very powerful and in some demand, but molecular genetics, forward genetics, and chemical approaches to perturbing genetic systems are becoming more popular/fashionable.

There are definitely plenty of schools with genetics majors, but I would look at attending one with strong computational aspects. Particularly if they attempt to integrate math and biology.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. awhimsicalfire Registered Member

Yes, I'm definately interested in genetics and am as passionate about it as a high school student can be (meaning I haven't had much training with it.) But right now I'm deciding upon colleges to apply to and focusing on what I may want to do with the rest of my life. I've always wanted to be a scientist ^^ but I wasn't exposed to the field of genetics until just two years ago. Ever since then I've been interested in everything about it, reading articles and talking to people and even joining this discussion board. I think what I'm looking for here is for professional scientists to give me advice upon what they believe to be the future of genetics and what I have to do to grow along with it. I appreciate the replys, because it seems as if you are both professionals, and I appreciate the advice, and it would be great if you had any more.

8. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

If you'll be more specific about what your interests are I'm more than happy to try to point you in the right direction or give more advice.

9. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

it's already a super hot field. look for a college that offers a major or concentration specifically in genetics/molecular biology but most good biology programs already focus heavily on it anyway. you could try to get an internship at a lab that will hire high school students. some labs like cshl offer research programs for undergrads (which i wish i had known about when i was an undergrad!! grr). but don't worry about it so much now in high school.
    more advice: don't bring your fly cultures home. trust me on this one.