Gaia Theory

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by reformedtopunk, Oct 7, 2002.

1. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

hope this is the right board to post this in. Also, note that i don't expect everyone to believe in my ideas, i just like stating them, and i think its an interesting topic.

Its been my opinion *strongly influenced by danial quinn's "ishmael"* for a while now that the earths biggest problem is overpopulation. basic rundown of the idea is this:

a basic law of nature is that quantity of food in a given area directly affects the population of said area. less food = less population. this works for all species. naturally, in a desert there are fewer plants and animals then in a rainforest. Humans enter this equations quite simply. in areas of the world such as some places in africa and the Eurasia, there is a low quantity of food, but our human emotions come into play and speak to us by saying "oh my god! there are people dying over there. we need to help them!" and we send them more food. More food = more babies, and more babies = more population. more population = more need for foreign aide. But who wants to be the one to stop sending food?

The gaia theory states that the earth is a living organism to itself (another idea i believe) and that humans, through their actions of self preservation, have become a sort of "plague" unto it, and it is releasing its "immuse system" onto us. Things like Aids, the increase in famine, and Ill Nino are all a credit to this theory.

Another example that i can think of which I may or may not be right about, is the black plague in europe. In the areas affected by plague, another problem was that of overpopulation. And we all know how many were lost before the plague ended.

So i guess , taking all this into account, that our BIGGEST problem is our fear of death. maybe not even out fear, because i think that's natural, but perhaps our non-acceptance of death as the next stage in development.

or maybe I'm wrong.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Bah....I just can't believe the whole Gaia thing....there is only speculation on the whole idea, no real proof to back it up. The virus' can be just virus' or they could have come from Gaia or something else. For now, we can only proof that they are just in fact virus'. So there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I feel the Gaia theory is just as entertaining as some eastern philosophies...Taoism to name one.

And it made a great storyline for Final Fantasy 7.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

and also- Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Too much elaborate fiction has the unintentional effect of discrediting the theory. It does not state that the earth is sapient or any weird &#&#%^ like that. It just says the earth is composed of self regulating systems that keep it habitable by life. That is not too far-fetched.

9. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I don't believe in the Gaia theory either. It's interesting though, that the Earth may have feelings (awww) and we're hurting it/him/her. It's too much animism for me though.

And...what's that word?!?! Ok, it's a literary device, and it's used when the author has linked an inanimate object with human feelings. what's it called..?!

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Loveloch's original theory said nothing about it having any more emotions than mildew.

Earth gets hot, things happen to cool it down.
    Below an optimum level of O2 for life, more plants grow.
    etc

11. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

Personification.

and yeah, i wanted to point that out. nothing was ever said about feelings. just a general will to survive.

12. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

YES! That's it, thank you Punk Reformer...dude!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I was going nuts trying to figure it out. Made a mess of my English notes, I did.

Yeah...everyone's so scientific here, eh? It's not bad though. I guess it's hard to swallow a theory that gives inanimate objects "feelings"...

However, everyone seems to accept the fact that money is evil...:bugeye:

13. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

If money is evil you should try to get rid of it. I will take it upon myself to take the burden of your money upon myself. Send it all to me.

14. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Lol, hey, my money may be evil, but I'm no angel either.

*stashes money away*

15. You mean, "Anthropomorphism" ?

16. Delvinity Registered Member

It seems to me that it has more of a fantasy aura to it....Im not sure I buy it, but I can see how it is "forseeably" possible.

17. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Yes, and personification. I think anthropomorphism is a better term though..but we used personification in English class.