Gaia

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Tristan, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Yogamojo Here's lookin' at you...? Registered Senior Member

¿How do we "get to the bottom" of the Gaia issue?

The preceeding posts by Tristan, Avatar, Mr. G and myself are actually directly related to the topic of this thread in their point that we may have a wealth of information about our Universe, but perhaps not enough to assert as to whether or not there is a conscious Gaia. That was the jist...:bugeye:

¿Furthermore, what kind of experiment would determine this, and how much speculation can bring this subject to light?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. I thought that I had posted this reply some days ago but came back today to see that its not here.
    Anyway I’ll see if I can remember what I said. This is really annoying, anyone else experienced this?

Sorry Yogamojo et all, I just did not want the thread turn into a slagging match. What I guess I meant to say was that we may not know much about Life the Universe and everything but I think we know enough about the interdependence of biological and non biological systems to theorise that the Earth as a whole is analogous to a living system.

As for consciousness I personally think that all forms of life have consciousness, just that some have more than others. I just don’t ascribe any kind of mystical significance to consciousness, I think that it is just the way that any life form senses and makes sense of its surroundings enough to react to them. It just happens that we have a very sophisticated form of consciousness that allows us to “think” abstractly about things. Since we can’t experience what other forms of life experience I don’t think we can prove this. I would not like to speculate about the Earth having consciousness, but If you agree that the Earth is analogous to a living system then I guess you would have to agree that that it must have something analogous to consciousness, that is if you agree to my definition of consciousness.

And in answer to Yogamojo’s question

¿Furthermore, what kind of experiment would determine this, and how much speculation can bring this subject to light?

I would have to say that maybe we are currently conducting that experiment and Gaia is about to turn and prove its consciousness by wiping out the human race. It would only take one of the smaller mass extinction events of geological history to do it. It’s just a pity that no one will be left to see it proved.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(yes I have been reading the thread on global warming before writing this one.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The Earth is a living organism and also the Universe...

Love,
    Nelson

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.