Gas pistol for self defence

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hi,
    some time ago I talked about getting a pistol for self defence,
    but I've decided that I don't really need it for now. Instead I've been thinking of buying a gas pistol or revolver, but for now I lack info on them.

Can you please tell the correct English name for gas pistol and any other info I should probably know about these weapons? Links to good articles would be great!

I've had loads of experience with real hand guns, but none whatsoever with gas pistols. I don't know their range, effect, reliability... nothing...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think they are probably useless for self-defense. Try a crossbow!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They look like a real gun that's why many people have them, just to scare others away.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

If you mean what I think you mean, the English term is air gun or air pistol.

They hurt a lot to get shot with, but to a determined person, it might not be enough. I would suggest getting a real gun, but I don't know how strongly you feel that you don't need one for now.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Humm, I didn't think those pellet guns, but those that shoot with pepper gas.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

How about a tazer?

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Tazers are stupid for various reasons.
    One of them, of course, is that you need to recharge them, which is useless in the wild.
    Another is that too many people have been killed by tazers lately. If I wanted to risk that, I'd get a real gun in to time.
    Yet another is that it's useless against more than one target.

I did ask for info on gas pistols for a reason.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Found one local weapons store selling those Russian ones, will visit it tomorrow and ask about them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Are you talking about a tear gas gun?

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Most likely, I don't know the correct English name for it.
    It shoots with pepper/tear gas, probable range of about 3 metres. The ammo looks like standart rounds, but with no bullet on the top.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That won't work in the wild, too much wind.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, yes, that's one of the things I'd like to know from someone who has tested that on open plain or in a forest.

I know that pepper spray does work, but it's not gas, it's liquid under pressure, so wind doesn't affect it that much.

18. kmguru Staff Member

Get a 9MM short nose handgun with laser sight (the one that sends a laser beam). Just turning on the laser beam will scare anyone because they know you can hit the target.

19. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

I'd get a combat knife over a gun...but then again that's probably because I've been trained extensively in knife-to-hand, knife-to-knife, and knife-to-gun combat.

20. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Do you know what happens when you bring a knife to a gun fight? you die.

21. kmguru Staff Member

"Knife to gun" combat? Perhaps you would win if the gun guy watches too many movies.

If a badguy is holding my kid with a knife or gun and says to drop the gun that I am holding, before he finishes the sentence, he will be dead with a bullet between his eyes. At 10 feet I am at bulls eye without laser sight.

22. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Your better off with a can system, they sell them just about everywhere, it is a pressurized aerosol can, it is safer because it won't be mistaken for a gun, if you have a gas gun shaped like a pistol it will get you shot because it will be taken for a real gun, get pepper spray in a aerosol can, but no matter what wind will seriously affect the range and dispersal of any gas or liquid projector.

But remember that individuals under the influence of some drugs when sprayed with pepper spray or tear gas, will not be affected, in some cases it acts as a stimulant, and really sets them off, people under the influence of PCP become totally enraged when hit with pepper spray, and develop massive rage strength, there are some more drugs that when taken have the same reaction on the user if hit with Pepper Spray or Tear Gas.

23. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

No the shot you want is right on the point of the nose, or from the side right through the ear canal, if you shoot them between the eyes there is still a involuntary reaction, and the hostage could get hurt, or killed, but sever the cerebral cortex and its light out not even a twitch, look at a cross section of the human skull, that is what you need to destroy to make a dead stop no involuntary reaction shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.