Gas pistol for self defence

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Avatar, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

- N

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, I'd prefer to test the gun before buying.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Besides the shop owner can't then sell me shit, because he knows that I can come back and demand the money back.

Sneezing and having a bad sense of direction is good as well. I hike in heavy army boots with titanium foot inlet, besides being totally waterproof and protecting against sharp objects (our forests are laden with echoes of war) they are quite heavy and excellent for "reinforced" kicking.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Thanks for that article, Neildo!!!
    While we have only a few brown bears in our forests, this applies to stray dogs, wild boars and wolves in winter too.
    Thanks!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, aside from the mechanism you're going to carry, I'd say the most important part is the quality of the mixture you're using, whether the spray canister or the ammo. Is there any information as to the quality of the pellets that gun you're interested in fires?

- N

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't have any info on that yet, but I'll be sure to ask the shopkeeper.
    One my work collegue showed some of his pepper ammo and there was written - Only against animals.
    So I guess it meant that it shouldn't be used against humans, so maybe it's quite powerful.
    Or maybe in the producer's country it's illegal to use pepper ammo against human-animals.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Just get a big knife and hope no farmers come after you. Especially if their from Georgia or someplace like that.:wave:

10. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yeah, if it mentions animals, it usually has a higher concentration and Scoville rating, but the main reason is due to politics. If something is labeled as an animal repellent and whatnot, it's classified as a pesticide, which would be illegal to use against humans even though it's practically made the same, just classified differently.

It's the same way with natural drugs and herbs. Even though we know certain herbs are helpful, many types of vitamins, aspirins, etc will say "this hasn't been tested by the FDA" etc etc because under it's natural form, it can't be classified as a drug and what they're selling to you is basically a drug. I dunno, I can't remember the exact details of it all, but it's basically some political thing like that.

So yeah, if the pepper is for animals, it's classified as a pesticide and can't be used against humans even though there's no real difference, it's just political marketing label wording. Saying "for use against animals" makes it sound better so it may sell better, but that's just a label kinda like when Nvidia had their whole ad campaign that said "Best Played on Nvidia" during a game even though an ATI card was faster on it, etc, but then because of that label, it's classified differently. And if it doesn't mention animals, it's classified as a food grade substance by the FDA so it's legal against humans, but due to it being a food grade substance, it doesn't have many regulation so you'll see lots of different varieties claiming such-and-such even though it may be weaker although claiming to be better for marketing purposes.

Most animal sprays may have a higher concentration, but you can get the same quality that's legal against humans. Just don't think that because it says to be used against animals that it's somehow better. What you want to look at is the SHU rating to see how hot it is. Don't even bother looking at the silly OC rating because you can have a 2% rated spray be way hotter than a 30% spray due to the peppers and whatnot used making the scoville rating way higher. How in the heck a weak spray can be rated high, I have no idea, but it comes down to silly marketing again. So look at the peppers in the pellets and make sure the scoville rating is high, at least 4-5 million+.

- N

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have three, but they are good only for wood craft - preparing fire wood, sharpening staffs, making totem poles, giving light signals and the like. Real life is not jungle book, and I'd take a staff before a knife any time.

That, and I already said that I'm interested in pepper based repellants. The question now is - is spray enough or do I need a pepper gas pistol too.

I doubt there would be any Georgian farmers in Latvian forests and fields.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Thanks!! You've been of great help.

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Here's some reading for ya that explains it better than I did:

- N

14. John99 Banned Banned

I would not mess with sprays on a big animal, especially outdoors. With a gun it will make you feel safe but most likely in the woods if someone wanted to kill you they would stalk you for awhile and you would never get a chance to even take it out.

Not to mention your serial killers. Have you ever seen the movie deliverance?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  15. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

It all depends on the range in which you want to engage the animal. If you want maximum range, use the pepper gun. Hopefully you could even just fire near it to scare it away from the sound and mist and maybe the fumes tickling it's noise making it go away rather than having a full-on engagement. If you don't mind being under 15 feet in range at a higher risk, you can use the spray. Or you can play it safe and carry both.

I'm not a hunter so I don't really know much about wild animal confrontations and how they react, but I know their sense of smell is much greater than ours so the peppers outta be more effective against em. I know they're curious so hopefully just a quick shot can spook em off without actually hitting em and pissing em off, heh.

- N

16. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Squeal like a pig, boy!

- N

17. John99 Banned Banned

yeah, that was the only part i didnt really care for. classic.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm not a hunter, but I spend lots of time in the woods.
    An animal mainly can attack you on three occasions, provided that you got noticed.

1. Rabid animal. Spooky stuff. Avoid physical contact at all costs. Rare, but extremely dangerous.
    2. He's already pissed off, because you're in its territory. Double that if it has cubs. Tripple if those are wild boar cubs. This is the most usual contact - an animal protecting its territory.
    3. Really, really hungry animals. A rarity, because there's usually lots of game in our forests, but it happens in cold winters with wolf packs. Raided a few farms by a forest a few years ago.

I think I'll buy a pepper gun in order to increase my range and double my ranged defence capability. I usually carry a staff too. I'm trained with japanese bo and jo staffs, but I usually make one from a forest branch too. For a calming effect I even sometimes sharpen one end.

19. kmguru Staff Member

That is the real news. What I do not understand is, we spend hundreds of billions in war (you do what you must), but the soldier's well being is not addressesd properly - making sure his family is OK etc. There should be a compete familiy support unit that are professional and have money for that support. Whatever ragtag group exists, they need to beef it up.

20. Donnal Registered Member

wish we had protection in australia
    we got the worst criminals here and they all kiddy thingos
    they get kicked outta other countires and flee to you know where
    and they dont pass certain history tests to do with hitler and get embarrassed and run here so we got dummies as well as dirt scum
    and no gun laws to protect us
    dam its hard when you cantfight against dirty people with high jobs

21. Donnal Registered Member

australia was for many years been used for a prison
    and still is

22. Donnal Registered Member

and people go .....why is this happening like duh

23. Donnal Registered Member

nice bow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.