Gaydar

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have lousy gaydar. My best friend is gay and I can never seem to remember that. She is forever pointing out subtle things I never see. I always thought it was sterotypical crap.
    well, apparently not.

....Observers' accuracy

As the gay men walked, they slightly swayed their hips. The observers were accurate in assessing the men's sexual orientation a little more than 60 percent of the time.

“There’s reason to think that gay people can’t conceal their homosexuality,” says Michael Bailey, a professor of psychology at Northwestern University. “I don’t think it’s a performance that gay people enact. I think it’s something that either is inborn, or it’s acquired very early, perhaps by watching members of the other sex.”

Research such as Johnson's may give scientific credence to "gaydar," suggesting that people really can tell whether someone is gay or straight from visual clues...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have no gaydar, but apparently a propensity to collect gay friends of both sexes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

this is all bullshit, you cant just judge how one walks is what his/her sexual orientation is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

60% is pretty shitty when you have a choice of gay or straight.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I have several gay friends. A couple of them act very feminine and a couple of them are not feminine at all. My friend Scott, you would never even be able to tell he was gay unless you already knew.
    I don't think it's a matter of having gaydar moreso than how the other person acts.
    My friend Chris and I, we are both straight as an arrow. We do not act feminine, nor do we dress flamboyantly, yet he and I both have been asked if we were gay. Maybe it was the atmosphere. Who knows.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

9. draqon Banned Banned

it is exactly what women do, they judge men by their covers. They call it love, but all it is, is lust for money and support of her baby. And than they divorce taking away the child and the money.

10. Atom Registered Senior Member

Okay I'm gay.

..or so my lil nephew tell me.

<< sob >>

11. Atom Registered Senior Member

Its a lot easier with guys than men although ,,yeh Rock Hudson etcetera.etc.

Mind you he was only on film..maybe if we saw Tom Cruis...er..Rock Hudson in real life we would know.

If we REALLY knew we would out people left, right and centre..but only on film

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. draqon Banned Banned

your newphew has no right to decide who you are.

You are who you are, not what others tell you.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

gaydar is modern day myth, 60% success rate is poor in terms of evidence. you can tell when some people are gay, it doesent take any ability apart from observation of traits. the way people walk is not a natural thing, some gay people may choose to walk in a more feminine way.

peace.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My friend pointed out how hand gestures are different on gay men. When a man does hand gestures closer to the body and not as broad...he's gay. So I started watching for it, and I'll be danged, yep!
    And I know its not 100% every gay guy does and straight men don't, but...

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Oh come on now. That's like saying that every woman that wins a beaty pageant is going to create threads about cheating.

16. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Sure, no little set of rules can work. But my guess %ages are very good with both lesbians and gays. there is often a definite vibe. There are exceptions and I have been surprised enough not to be surprised anymore, but I do much better than random. 'The same is obviously true for hets of both kinds.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

alot of gay men do things knowingly, like alor of straight guys do things knowingly that are masculine, gay guys try to act femanine with gestures and body language, human beings are very observant and know what they do and how they act.

its just like the style of clothes people wear, gay guys dont just wear tight stuff and femanine clothes out of natural instinct, it is all calculated in an attempt to portray a certain look. like with the hand movements and walking, gay guys can walk differently if they choose, its not like walking patterns in gay people are different due to body structure, its all choice and lifestyle.

if there is a guy walking down the street in tight jeans, swaying his hips as he walks, and he talks with the typical gay femanine voice, it doesent take gaydar to realise he is gay, its just observation of culture and lifestyle choices.

ofcourse not every gay person fits into the stereotype, i know a few gay guys and you wouldent know they were gay unless they made a sexual remark or comment, thats because they dont choose to portray the typical gay guy. other gay people dont know they are gay either first of all. they dont choose to walk in a femanine way, or talk or dress.

peace.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

PS.
    women walk differently than men due to physical body structure, they have bigger hips and a nice ass that sways side to side. gay guys try to incorperate the femanine walk knowingly, it is not a natural effect.

peace.

20. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Not all women have a nice ass.....not even half

21. Atom Registered Senior Member

all i want to know is whether people consider it a 'natural' sex act.

havingrefused to do so I would say its unnatural...forget gaydars. I can 'dar' a lot of stuff.

22. John99 Banned Banned

That is just something from their childhoods, as children gay men would be predisposed to emulate females. Just as straight men emulate their role models (tough guys) gay guys do the same. The same could be true for lesbians, although at a younger age being a gay male is tougher to deal with and is usually more apparent.

NO, i am not gay.