Gendanken's Banning

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by invert_nexus, Aug 20, 2004.

?

Should Gendanken be unbanned?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2004.
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

That was crap. Gendanken says, "FUCK YOU ALL" and she is banned? Is that an insult? Since when? This is ridiculous. It is also obvious that she was being sarcastic. Gendanken has a tendency to be rude and cruel, but this is beyond belief that she was banned for uttering this phrase.

I ask you to reconsider this, GoofyFish. Rethink your hasty actions. Gendanken is one of the best posters on this forum and banning her for saying fuck you is outrageous. Does anyone else agree?

BRING GENDANKEN BACK!

And the closing of the pic thread was wrong as well. There is a new pic thread, but how much easier it would have been to reopen the old pic thread merge the new pic thread in with it and pretend the whole stupid thing had never happened?

Edit: Another point to consider is the context in which Gendanken uttered her phrase, "FUCK YOU ALL!" It was in regards to others being allowed to insult and bully with seeming impunity at some tiimes.

Hypocrisy. This is getting out of hand.

Edit: Forgot to put a link to the banning. It's in here. On the second page, she utters her [post=660792]fateful statement[/post], "FUCK YOU ALL!"

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oh. Thanks for the move, Goofyfish. Don't know what the hell I was doing putting this in site feedback. The insanity of the banning just outraged me so much I wasn't thinking straight.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Not a tendancy; a habit.
    This is not the first occasion.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Interesting, I read "Should Gendanken be banned?" instead of "Should Gendanken be unbanned?". Hence, I voted exactly the opposite for what I wished for; I think she should be unbanned. Her insults usually were uncalled for, but that in itself does not justify a ban in my opinion. Maybe she was banned not as much for the final insult itself or her habit of insulting posters, but for plainly ignoring a warning of a moderator.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Freudian slip perhaps? You unconsciously desire her banning? Or at least support her ostracism?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyway, turns out it's a temp ban. 7 days. But, I suggest people vote anyway. For solidarity purposes.

9. Arditezza Banned Banned

I miss gendy already. I always need someone to darken my normally sunny and bright days. Besides... what's a match without a bit of TnT?

Bring her back, damn you.

10. kazi Banned Banned

the goofball probably thinks he is making a meaningful distinction.

elaborate. what was this warning? do not cuss?

11. Roman Banned Banned

So she's a bitch. She's also an interesting bitch.

Bring her back.

12. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

She's no more offensive than I am and is no where near as mindless as others that have fallen to banhood.

13. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

She was warned. Besides, her "ALL" included Goofy. Did you think that Goofy might have had enough?

If she was so unusually intelligent, was it hard for her to quit the insults? Most things she said weren't particularly unusual; you could find all that out by yourself. What got people's attention was that she wrapped that common knowledge in insults and words from foreign language (not a sign of high intelligence).

14. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Bad Call
    Dee Cee

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like gendanken

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

bring her back!

16. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

Judge yourself, see here.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yeah. Sorry. Should have posted the link in the original post. Will correct that now.

Edit: Forgot to add that I disagree with mouse on his statement that Gendanken ignored a mod warning. Saying FUCK YOU ALL! in the context she did was not an insult. It was a crying out against hypocrisy. Against heavy-handedness. Against partial moderation.

Notice that she says "this issue must be addressed." (The italics are hers.) Why would she feel that merely issuing a blanket insult to all must be addressed? Because that wasn't the issue. It's the unfairness of judgement that's the issue.

It has been said my times before that this place is not a democracy. But, cmon. Fair is fair. And too far is too far.

I've been told that the proper course of action is to hit the report button. However, I've seen reports of people reporting posts and having nothing done. Who gets the report if there is no moderator for a forum? Do you get them, GoofyFish? Is that why you always seem to be involved in these things?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  18. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

I was banned three and then 7 days for supposedly insulting members. I made no qualms about it and simply took the punishment. If the rules are to bent because you think her a good poster then that is stupid. The rules must be implemented evenly. Let her serve her ban and then come back.

19. Undecided Banned Banned

Ur telling me her ban isn't even permament!?!

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'd be back in an hour with another name through a proxy server.

21. Jubatus Nought Advocate Registered Senior Member

I'm new to these forums but after skimming a few threads, the one person that struck me as interesting (apart from Dr Lou Natic) was gendanken. She can spot and pierce through societal dogma, which is alot harder than obvious religious dogma.

She dares speak her mind unrestrained from the all too common notion of hypocritical politeness, and for that she's being punished; this misguided political correctness, which prevents us from speaking our oppinion, yet our oppinion remains the same in our thoughts, which they can't control, yet. Proclaiming that a dwarf shouldn't be called a dwarf is insinuating that there's something wrong with being a dwarf and that you try to hide this unavoidably obvious "fact" from the dwarves by calling them something else. A dwarf is a dwarf, damnit, and no amount of obfuscating shallow politeness will change that...and why would it need changing?

Allow gendanken back or sciforums will suffer greatly in the department of intellectual challenge.

22. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

So there I go out drinking and what do I read when I come back? Gendanken banned... now seriously, I know she uses a lot of swear words, so what? I have been on the receiving end more than once (as most others), but what about it? It is part of her charm I think, and she writes good posts.

I think it is tolerable but I am glad that it is just a temporary ban.

23. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Yea, and if I think you are a bloody idiot, I should be allowed to voice it, because it my [i[opinion[/i], right? The mods have taken it upon themselves to eliminate personal insults, especially when it is not in response to another insult. It is not a permanent ban, so I won't complain. She is not the first to have been banned for insults, and from my experience and those of others, I say it is long overdue. Next up shoud be Xev. Let's create an environment free of needless insults, else give me back the ten fucking days I lost, so I can satisfy my urge to piss 70% of the forum off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.