Getting High On Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by alexb123, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Funny you mention Tom Cruise, you see he believes that mental illnesses are a myth.

But I think we are on the same page so there is no point discussing him.
    Besides, what better opponent to psychology and psychiatry than a ufo cult?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

There is a great correlation between food and happiness. Eating junk food and binging are unhealthy for the body, and the symptom is depression. Eating moderately and eating healthy food is good for the aura and general health of the body, you feel better. Tom cruise is alright, he just needs to shut up once in a while.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. valich Registered Senior Member

I just threw in the comment about Tom Cruise just for a quick laugh. He was very much mistaken in his comments toward Brook Shields and has since apologized to her on national t.v. He himself has changed his viewpoint.

Okay, So what do I do about this everlasting craving for pizza that I have everynight?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't recommend anti-depressants, everyone I know who has tried them, seams to have suffered more negative effects than positive. Mainly in that there becomes a reliance issue.

8. mic Registered Member

You're not supposed to feel anything but normal when taking medication. If you feel this way in the fist two or three weeks it may just be side effects that will disapate. Sometimes other disorders(ex. bi-polar affective disorder)
    will respond negatively to SSRI's. They could send you into a manic episode.(Dancing on tables, love everyone, spending too much money). Visit the canadian mental health association web-site to find characteristics of different disorders. Whaterver goes up must come down and if you have another disorder you may crash hard. Call your doctor and be referred to a psychiatrist.

9. v8charger Registered Member

Lucky

I have been on celexa and lexipro (both SSRIs) and neither one of them got me high (or seem to do anything at all).. I just started Remeron (mirtazapane) its a TeCA not an SSRI.. I take em at night and at first I didn't feel anything, but after i laid down I felt a little high. Not comparable to OCs or rollin though

10. Babyfacemagee Registered Senior Member

The Danger Of Antidepressants.

Huwy, maybe you should reevaluate your promotion of antidepressants. I was on them for years...Prozac, then Zolft and then Effexor. The withdrawal from Effexor nearly killed me. Check out some of the articles on a site I put up after this experience sedatednation dot com

Also check out ssristories dot com

SSRI and SNRI drugs have destroyed thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands of lives. Perhaps millions. They don't cure anything. Depression and Anxiety are disorders not diseases and by putting people on drugs you are actually abusing them twice. If you truly understood what anxiety or depression were then you would know they are caused in a person by being in an unhealthy environment. It is the environment that is unhealthy...not the person. The person is simply reacting to it. In order to fix the situation you shouldn't be 'medicating the victim'. You should be fixing the environment. As an example.

If you have a child growing up in a home with a self absorbed or controlling parent that child will often develop anxiety, frustration and depression because he is not getting the proper emotional/social requirements from the parent. By putting the child on drugs you are basically abusing him twice. It is the PARENT that needs to change...not the child. Putting a person on ssri's or snri's is a way to basically drug the person down into a state where they will not feel the unhealthy environment that is causing the problem. It is a completely backwards approach to the problem.

The correct way to deal with it is to have the person either change or leave the unhealthy environment. In other words teach and encourage and help the person make changes in their life to relieve the problems they have. Don't 'keep the problems and drug the patient'. All that does is make the pharma companies and doctors rich. It doesn't help the patient.

I come from a family that has 3 generations of doctors and pharmacists in it. These people know NOTHING about human emotion or psychology. They simply are lemmings that throw whatever drug the pharma companies tell them to. You know why? Because that's the only way they get paid. If they don't give out the drugs...they don't make the money and don't get reimbursed by the insurance companies. The whole thing is a fixed system. The FDA is basically bought and paid for.

Read some of the articles on my site sedatednation dot com and you'll start to see the real picture of antidepressants. By the way I was on them for a full decade. Biggest mistake of my life. Basically spent a decade of my life feeling so 'fine' that I didn't accomplish anything. All the passion and excitement I had had before I was put on these drugs were drugged out of me and I look at it as a wasted decade. Biggest mistake of my life. Now that I'm off of them I have huge regret that I ever let myself be talked into taking them. They are HIGHLY addictive and I like most people never had anyone educate me about how the withdrawal process can actually fool you into believing you have massive anxiety and panic when it is just your brain's addiction to the drug. It took me a full year to feel normal after I stopped and I had a 'cold' feeling in my head for months and months aftewards. For all I know I had some brain damage from that sh*t. I was on Prozac....and then Effexor for 8 years. That stuff is junk. Nearly killed me.

Make sure to read the New York Times article I have linked on my site. My experience was similar to this guys...but even worse.

In my opinion antidepressants should be reigned back in. Family physicians and general practitioners should not have access to these drugs. They aren't even remotely qualified. In fact in my experience most psychiatrists aren't even qualified as they don't emphasize fixing your problems and just throw people on drugs. I only recommend them in the most urgent and serious of life and death circumstances...as in when someone is seriously a danger to themselves or others. And even then it should be for a short period of time. Just a month or two until they can get heavy therapy to teach them how to be in control of their emotions and to make the lifestyle changes that will make them stable and happy.

Using drugs as a crutch is a dangerous and slippery path to eventual misery. They have no doubt ruined countless lives. But you won't hear a pharmaceutical company tell you this. It's not good for business. Thank god we have the internet these days so can see the hundreds of forums and tens of thousands of first person experiences that let us see through the bullshit that pharma companies push on us.

And just to be clear, I am not some kind of holistic nut or anti-medicine junkie. I believe in antibiotics and vaccines and modern surgical techniques. But using drugs for emotions...it's just backwards Your emotions are your guides for your life. Drugging yourself to feel emotions you haven't earned and aren't reflective of what is truly going on in your life is a recipe for disaster.

11. Babyfacemagee Registered Senior Member

You just don't get it. There is no 'normal' on medication. What is normal is for you to feel exactly how you feel...however that is...off of medication. Your emotions are accurate reflections of the experiences and situations you are in in your life. You are supposed to be feeling whatever anxiety, depression etc that you are because if you do it is telling you that you are in an unhealthy place and need to make appropriate changes to your life/environment so that you feel happy again.

What needs to happen is people need to be educated on what their emotions mean. Instead of thinking of them as some meaningless 'things' that happen to you...you need to understand that they are your guide signals to your life. Listen to them...understand why you feel the way you feel...take control of your life and take control of your emotions. Drugs are a backwards way of feeling better. They simply suppress and camouflage your emotions. But what you are feeling when on them is NOT real. It is artificially induced...and hence dangerous. More people have had years, even decades of their lives wasted by being on antidepressants than any benefit they provide. They are highly dependency inducing and can be extremely difficult to get off...often requiring a full year or even more to wean off without excruciating withdrawal effects. Do some reading on sedatednation dot com -or- ssristories dot com.

12. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

One, how can I tell you probably don't have major depressive disorder?
    That pesky oxygen habit you have. Plus functionality.
    Untreated major depressive disorder has a roughly 20% kill rate-as in people kill themselves due to the suckage.
    Highest death rate for a psych disorder.

Antidepressants have probably been overprescribed. They've also kept a lot of other people from offing themselves.
    Just because you didn't need them, don't assume others don't...just as I don't assume schizophrenics don't need antipsychotics because they'd likely turn me into a lump.

Two, a GP had me cold-turkey off of Zoloft in order to do a med swap, and it was a major drag, but it was nowhere near dangerous or horrible...I didn't miss work, alright?

Third, you're spamming your own website, which isn't cool.

Fourth, this thread was last active September of last year...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Babyfacemagee Registered Senior Member

Wow, you really are intellectually corrupt. Tom Cruise never said mental illness is a myth. What he said was that he doesn't believe in psychiatry. That is VERY different than saying mental illness is a myth. Any other fraudulent and made up information you'd like to contribute to the forum? It's very obvious you know next to nothing about how the brain works or how emotional problems develop. Perhaps you should learn some elementary psychology and neurology before you come to a public forum and spew nonsense and false information. Are you a paid shill for the pharmaceutical industry? Own their stock maybe???

14. John99 Banned Banned

yeah, i suspect some of these arguments are based on the pocketbooks.

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Normal, then is wanting to die, crying, hating myself, unable to get out of bed, unable to think straight, unable to sleep less than twenty hours a day, unable to be left alone with an unlocked gun (which happens often anyway), constantly thinking about driving to the nearest tall bridge and jumping off, except too exhausted to do so, and thinking up other ways to kill myself and what a worthless piece of shit I am.

An endless parade of every petty thing I have ever done wrong since I was a small child parading itself behind my eyeballs...over...and..over...the Blooper Reel from the ninth circle of hell...yelling at myself aloud to try stopping it and failing...

Self-injuring because the external pain is less intense than the internal pain it replaces.

Feeling like someone dear to me has died.
    Wishing it was me dead.

A punishment I'd wish on very few people.
    And yes, therapy was tried...never took until I got on meds.

Just because you were prescribed meds when you probably just had normal teen stuff going on and could have done with some therapy alone...does not mean there aren't people out there who aren't in deep misery without pharmaceutical treatment.
    Trust me, I wouldn't buy it if I didn't need it, I don't make enough $$$ for that.

You're taking your own situation-being prescribed stuff YOU didn't need-and projecting it on everybody else in the world.

Babyfacemagee: Everybody is not exactly like you.

Please stop thinking that they are.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  16. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

depression just a state of mind? thanks for the laugh. well, technically, I suppose you are right--- but you make it sound like a choice, as if you can change your worldview and depression will lift. It isn't like that.

I remember lying in my bed thinking "damn, I am alive, I have great friends, a great family, I'm from the most beautiful place on Earth, I don't have to worry about money, I'm young and handsome and intelligent and athletic and kind--- and I am MISERABLE."

that's all the proof I need that depression is not "just a state of mind"

sorry to be edgy, but that comment irked me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011