Giving Blood

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carnuth, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Carnuth i dont Registered Senior Member

I just gave blood today! Who does it? Who doesnt do it? If not why not? Personally i would only do it if its convenient, there was a bloody line and it took so long. But i got to miss 2 classes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But in my spare time, its one of those things ( to me) that id have to Get ARroound to doing...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

How kind of you. I wouldn't be pleased to donate any part of my body......

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I use to donate until one time a few problems happened. The first thing was that the vampire that was trying to put the needle into my vein screwed up a couple of tries and that was rather painful. The same time after the vampire finally suceeded in getting it in was that after my blood was taken I became rather ill and I felt ill the entire day. I had to go home from work I was so ill. I don't know whether the vampire took to much blood or if the needle was not sterilized but something happened that has made me not want to ever return again. I gave about once a month for a few years until that time so I've done my part that's for certain.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Once a MONTH?

I'm a lapsed blood donor, and used to donate just less than a pint every SIX months. I think they have increased the frequency to three months now, but you'd have to donate far less once a month or you'd be almost constantly low on red cells.

I've donated 15 times, and keep meaning to go again.

8. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Tattoos.

:m: Peace.

9. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

I think it's been increased to once every two months.

I have only gone twice, but I didn't mind it at all. I just know if I had never gone there would have been a day when I needed blood, and there wouldn't have been any for me. I'm just trying to increase my chances of survival. I think of blood donation as a sort of insurance. That's how it should be run. If you put in, you can get back out. However, they need to have some for you, because you put in your dues. But while you're not using it, others can.

Eh..just a thought.

I recently asked my sister if blood can be sold legally. She said she didn't think it could be, but if it could, she wouldn't let me sell mine. She thinks blood is a body part and shouldn't be sold. That makes me wonder why she allows me to donate blood then. Is it ok if I donate my hand then? I guess I just cannot sell it.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

goofyfish .......

It was more like every 2 months now that I think about it but it seemed shorter back then to me.

11. jjhlk Guest

I was going to give blood as much as possible. At least, that was the plan before I turned 18. But the time came and I couldn't be bothered. I like helping people, as long as it requires little or no effort.

If I could get the blood people to let themselves into my house and take blood while I played UT2003, then I would do it.

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

ive donated around 6 times or so. someday I might need to get a whole load of blood back.
    It owuld be easier for you if they came to your house, but much less easy for them, imagine all that travelling and setting htings up etc.
    Here in the UK there was a kerfuffle when we found out they were selling some of our blood to people, private hospitals etc, when we'd all donated it for free. Its one of these odd things, people will queue up to donate their blood for nothing more than a few biscuits and tea or coffee.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

the blood, it's mine, my own, my precioussssssss

14. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

me mum always told me that if you're able to donate blood, it's your duty to. my parents always did until their health failed. they both take so much meds now that no one would ever touch their blood (especially dad with his cancer meds). but i'm very healthy so i give every now and then. i tend to have a long recovery period. i'm weak for the three days it takes to replenish blood volume. but i don't mention that cause i don't think they'd let me donate then.
    if you are squeamish about giving blood, get over it. it's selfish.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

So I'm selfish. It's my! I seem to have a very passionate attitude towards my blood.

16. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

ALL donate blood, and make sure it is not HIV +.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!