God (Does it make sense?)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by JJMMLL7, Sep 15, 1999.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Vanja--

Unlike the missionaries of old, I see no reason to go out and start killing Christian missionaries. Despite centuries of Christian-inspired evil across the face of the Earth, I cannot hold the modern missionaries responsible. They, after all, did not invent encomienda, advocate slavery, or create the godly sense of Manifest Destiny which terrorized the North American continent. Modern missionaries are not responsible for the Crusades or Inquisitions, either.

The actual point of my post was that, no matter how much a given people want to be rid of Christian missionaries, said evangelists never, ever get the hint. History shows that, once a Christian missionary effort is in place, only large amounts of death will drive them out. Unfortunately for all involved, the last deaths are usually the missionaries', to stack atop the pile of social decay they brought with them.

I think it is unfortunate that a person might believe in something so deeply that they feel the need to die for it. Certainly some government regimes are less than pleased with a missionary presence among their people, and to kill missionaries for this purpose is most definitely wrong.

But, inasmuch as I can accept the validity of your reply to Mierdaan ... if we apply the same standards to the missionaries as they have, historically, applied to their intended converts, then yes, Freedom of Speech must go straight out the window. Missionaries are the classic example of a group demanding a right which they would deny to other people.

And no, I don't know the price of bulletproof vests. Unlike missionaries--extensions of the "Christian" institution--I have no need for one; after all, I don't go into the middle of chaos and begin insulting people while telling them it's for their own good.

Tiassa

------------------
    "Let us not launch the boat until the ground is wet." (Khaavren of Castlerock)

[This message has been edited by tiassa (edited October 21, 1999).]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 666 Registered Senior Member

to: JJMML7

This is in reply to your first post. Ones way of thinking / out look on life change with time. The debating of any subject is helpfull in reevaluating ones stand on any given subject and you gain experience with understanding the view points of those who do not see things your way. Understanding the views of others even if they don't compliment your own acualy helps dispell alot of conflicts, not to mention verry stimulating. If sharing my views and trying to understand the views of others makes me confused, then I will be for ever confused!

------------------
    The Belief that there is only truth and that oneself is in possession of it
    seems to me the depest root of all evil that is in the world
    -Max Born

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.