God given rights?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Xelasnave.1947, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I just realized something; Empathy is generated by "mirror neurons" and a well developed mirror neural system helps in cognition and imitation of all behaviors, including skill sets.

I believe that all animals capable of empathy are able to learn better from visual observation of others performing complicated tasks.

An example of empathic behavior in Bonobos;
    Watch the immediate response to the person signing he/she is hungry.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Really? You "just" realized that mirror neurons are related to empathy in humans? That's a pretty old correlation. How old are you?
    You do know that relationship doesn't hold in animals, right?
    However, these brain regions are not quite the same as the ones which mirror hand actions, and mirror neurons for emotional states or empathy have not yet been described in monkeys.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron#Empathy

Just presuming the thing you wish to assert (empathy), as justification for something else (learning), doesn't actually support the claim.

"Signing"? Maybe you posted the wrong video.

Notice how they play with the food? Likely because they aren't all that hungry. So wanting company is likely being mistaken for sharing. Just more anthropomorphism.
    That, and you're usual lack of scientific understanding.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

10 years ago I had a thread on mirror neurons and empathy. It's typical that psychopaths lack empathy.
    All the original studies were done on the Macao monkey and they have empathy..!
    Then clearly you have not given it any thought. Heretofore there was only the assertion that mirror neurons are instrumental in learning, both in humans and primates. I extended it to include all species that rear their young for extended periods of time.
    Apes don't sign?

Use of sign language
    Clearly you do not have keen observational powers, or lack empathy.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Communication
    https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/behavior/behave_4.htm#
    [/quote]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

So why did you "just realize" empathy was related to mirror neurons? Took you 10 years to make that connection?

What studies? All you're doing is empty arm waving.

No, your assertion requires evidence, not just "thought". And now you're just lying, as you said:
    "I believe that all animals capable of empathy are able to learn better from visual observation of others performing complicated tasks."​
    You made an assertion about animals having empathy, that you have still yet to support.

LOL! So you consider apes "people"?
    "Watch the immediate response to the person signing he/she is hungry."​

And you can read primate body language? Okay Dr. Doolittle. 9_9

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Aw, shucks, Vociferous. You're making little old me blush! You big softy, you!

You still sound angry. Do you think it could be possible for you to calm down and have a civil discussion with me without calling me a crackpot, etc.? (And please, don't insult my intelligence by pretending that's not what you did there.)

If you'd like to have a discussion about whether animals have a moral sense, we can have that discussion - perhaps in a separate thread. Clearly you regard animals as similar to automatons. I do not. For the purposes of this current discussion on "natural rights", I think that to debate the matter here will take us significantly off-topic. Besides, I'm not convinced you are in any frame of mind to take part in a civil discussion about that topic.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Earlier in the thread, I explained why I have a problem with your idea of natural rights. It's not that I don't understand your preferred definition. I just don't think it's very useful. In fact, I think that attempting to phrase moral questions in terms of rights is not always very helpful. It can tend to obscure the underlying issues by laying a legalistic framework on top of them and then pretending that moral questions can be solved by appeal to black-letter definitions. Staunch conservative that you are, I understand why you might find the legalistic approach appealing, especially when you think you can frame the laws to suit yourself.

Do you and I have some history that I'm unaware of, Vociferous? Are you a sock puppet of a previously-banned member, perhaps, come to exact revenge under a new handle? You sound like a man with some kind of grudge.

I thought we were discussing whether it is acceptable to murder in order to survive. Or - perhaps better - to kill in order to survive. And the circumstances surrounding that.

I think we could find some common ground on such questions. What do you think?

As I understand it, murder is the unlawful killing of another human being. Survival is the avoidance of one's own death. How did I go? Did I get the difference right?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, exactly. Can you elaborate, please? What was the straw man and why was it a straw man?

It's okay. I forgive you. I'd prefer you overestimate me than underestimate me. It saves time. It's also a sign of civility and respect, to assume the best rather than the worst in people, don't you agree?

That all sounds fine to me. I think we're in agreement on that.

Yes, I agree. If you thought I was making some argument that intra-species predation is morally acceptable because inter-species predation occurs, then you obviously made a mistake somewhere. I'm glad we cleared that up!

That seems like a non sequitur. What does an objective basis for rights have to do with inter-species vs. intra-species predation? I can't see any obvious connection. What would be an objective basis for rights, anyway? What did you have in mind?

As I said previously, a right typically goes along with obligations imposed on others who might otherwise impede the exercise of the right. A right that doesn't oblige anybody to do anything isn't really a right worth talking about, is it?

I realise that this does not directly address your question about whether rights are "granted". I suppose one could say that those who respect the associated obligations "grant" the right, if you want to talk about it that way. Is that the kind of thing you are thinking of?

Did you know I live in Australia? Is that what you're describing as a "country that doesn't know any better"? Can you please explain what you are referring to, exactly? Also, it looks like you're generalising again. Do you mean nobody in the entire country knows better (about whatever it is you're talking about)?

Fun fact: did you know that the Australian Constitution is modelled on the US Constitution, and shares a lot of similarities with it?

I think you need to explain to me what you think your objective basis of rights is, and why you think it is objective. It would help if you also explained why you think I am different to you and have no objective basis for rights.

Are rights knowledge? Are they observed facts? Is that what you're saying? I'm guessing that you think that natural rights exist regardless of what people think about them. Is that correct?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Apes form social groups in similar ways to human beings, so I'd say they are "people". It really depends on how you define "people", doesn't it? If your definition of "person" means only "a member of the Homo sapiens species", then apes are not people. But that's not the only possible definition, obviously. A person might, for instance, be "a sentient creature" or "a creature with the ability to reason" or something else.

What is a person, according to you, Vociferous?

Also, I'm intrigued at the nervous "LOL" tic that you display every time somebody suggests that human beings are animals or that other animals are similar to human beings. What is it about the idea that apes are people that makes you nervous?

Sure. Can't you? How much time have you spent watching great apes? (I'm guessing not much.) You know that scientists have studied the great apes closely, don't you? We do know quite a lot about how primates communicate and express themselves. Maybe this is new to you?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I don't know James I would say probably more time than could be considered healthy considering the selection of avatars.
    Alex

James R likes this.
  11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Do you think that "empathy" is the same thing as "learning" new behavior ?
    It just occurred to me that mirror neurons not only allow for "cognition of behaviors", but that they may well be instrumental in "learning new behaviors".

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

OK, articles on "empathy" are not so difficult to find.

Empathy
    Evolutionary across species
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy#Affective_empathy

First, it seems that 10 years does tend to dull memory. I used the term Macao monkey, which is wrong!
    The proper term is Macaque monkey.

Rudimentary empathy in macaques’ social decision-making

SIGNIFICANCE

ABSTRACT
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4687595/

13. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Really? All you have, by way of supporting your own claim against the null hypothesis, is poisoning the well and trying to deflect a topic you introduced here?

Why do you think animals having a "moral sense" and them being "similar to automatons" are the only two options? Seems like a false dilemma.

Yeah, this is what you said about the definition of natural rights:
    And I already addressed all that. Though obviously not to your satisfaction.

Again, you're the one making claims against the null hypothesis. Why should imposed obligations be necessary to rights? Why should rights confer benefits? That presumes that rights can only be given, by the imposer or benefactor. IOW, it just asserts there's no such thing as natural rights, without any supporting argument at all, aside from maybe incredulity from a culture that may find the notion alien.

I never said all moral question can be couched as rights. People have the right to do plenty of immoral things. So we agree, and you can dispense with that straw man.

"Grudge"? I just paid you a compliment. In your religious topics, definition of God, God's image, absent parent, you seemed to make much more rational, good faith posts, without all the fallacies. Lately, you're sounding more like Alex.

My post #84 (which you claimed you read, in post #176), followed by your straw man in post #113.

Doesn't seem to be working out too well, considering I usually end up having to explain things in excruciating detail anyway. That can happen when people read absent words and miss present ones.

Yeah, I guess you have completely different conflated reasoning for your beliefs about abortion.

Not with intra-/inter-species predation, per se, but with what spurious reasoning can justify in general. Without a basis in fact, it's all motivated reasoning and whim.
    I'm pretty sure I've repeatedly said survival is an objective basis for rights.

14. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Cont...

Rights themselves do not typically go along with obligations. Only when people form governments tasked with protecting rights does said protection impose obligations. But even then, like all laws, such obligations are still voluntary, as crimes still occur. The only difference is that the government assumes sole authority to mete out consequences, that would otherwise occur naturally. Only natural, preexisting rights can be protected. Any other form of rights are granted rights, which are privileges that can be just as easily revoked.

The fact that you can't apprehend that is likely a cultural blind spot (although I'm sure Aussie legal scholars understand).
    Australia is the only liberal democracy not to have either a constitutionally entrenched bill of rights or rights or a national human rights act. A debate on whether Australia should have a bill of rights has raged since the 1970s.

What human rights protections does Australia have?
    Australia has never had a bill of rights to offer protection of human rights in a single document. Victoria and the ACT are the only jurisdictions within Australia to have enacted human rights acts.
    Supporters of a bill of rights argue that parliament cannot be trusted to protect human rights and that a bill of rights is needed to strengthen and consolidate human rights protections and ensure that legislation passed conforms to human rights principles.
    https://www.gotocourt.com.au/legal-news/australia-bill-of-rights/

https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work...how-are-human-rights-protected-australian-law

You seem completely unaware of that.

Fun fact:
    A Comparison of the Constitutions of Australia and the United States States
    This was stated by an eminent English lawyer in the course of the debate on the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution bill in the British House of Commons:
    The difference between the Constitution which this Bill proposes to set up and the Constitution of the United States is enormous and fundamental. This Bill is permeated through and through with the spirit of the greatest institution which exists in the Empire. ...I mean the institution of responsible government under which the Executive is directly responsible to-nay almost the creature of-the Legislature. That is not so in America .... Therefore what you have here is nothing akin to the Constitution of the United States except in its most superficial features.​
    https://digitalcommons.law.buffalo.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3958&context=buffalolawreview
    So no co-equal branches of government to ensure the rights of the people. The OZ executive is beholden to the legislature, and as some other Aussie here recently pointed out, the legislature can also abolish courts it doesn't like. So "modeled" is an extremely loose term, at best.

I've repeatedly told you that survival is an objective basis for rights, and it should be obvious that we can observe what is necessary for survival.
    You've yet to tell me the least little objective basis for your own conception of rights. Seems a conspicuous omission.

If you ever manage to gasp the notion of natural rights, you'll understand. If not, I'm afraid it may be a cultural hurdle too far to bridge.

Vocabulary lesson:
    people - human beings in general or considered collectively.
    the men, women, and children of a particular nation, community, or ethnic group.​
    person - a human being regarded as an individual.​

Redefining such simple words (or scare quote equivocations) really isn't a good look. But please, do cite sources for your own definitions.
    But hey, if you guys really identify so closely with apes, who I'm I to deny that your feelings are genuine.

There you go projecting again. You know, most people laugh for reasons other than quelling their nerves. Like when they find a notion ridiculous on its face. Man, what I life you must lead.

No, like entertainers, I don't really care what apes do. But then, I don't consider them my peeps either.

If Write4U had said "the ape signing", instead of "the person signing", I would have accepted it without question. Of course, I defer to his vast understanding of primate body language.

15. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

The null hypothesis is that empathy has no special relation to learning.

"Cognition of behaviors" is an even greater leap. Again, contrary to the null hypothesis.

Citing a guy with zero science degrees, I see. A philosopher conflating the areas of the brain involved in pro-social behaviors with human empathy. Pro-social behavior is not empathy.

Again, pro-social behaviors that merely suggest "that macaques have a concept of their peers’ well being", is not evidence of empathy. It's motivated reasoning, at best. And conflating mirrored behaviors, like empathic eye blinking, to empathy is equally so.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Vociferous:

You're a very abrasive conversationalist. You seem to think that you're schooling me on things, most of the time. I suggest that you might find that people will like you more if you lose some of that arrogance you put front and centre. Of course, maybe you're a lovely person in real life and this is just the persona you choose to display here. Still, it strikes me as counterproductive to civil discourse, and ultimately self-defeating. At the very least, it makes it less likely that people who could teach you something new will want to interact with you.

Probably people have mentioned this to you before, but if not, please consider.

Remember I mentioned earlier that if you want to know what I think, you have only to ask. Try to make fewer assumptions about what I assume and what I do or do not know or understand. They are not doing you much good so far.

I'm quite satisfied that we hold different views on natural rights. You seem unwilling to change your mind, so what more is there to be said, if you're satisfied you've covered all your bases adequately?

That null hypothesis you have there seems to float around as per your requirements of the moment.

Because they are more or less meaningless without them. Like I said.

What use are they if they do not?

Haven't I already commented a number of times on that - most recently in the post to which you're responding? Was I not clear about what I think about that?

Nor did I. What I said was that rights layer over moral questions.

Straw man or no, if we're in agreement then all is good. Done.

Do you think I missed that you tried to avoid answering the question I asked you there? I didn't. I noticed that you declined to give an honest answer. Why is that?

I previously invited you to discuss abortion in a separate thread, if you want to have that discussion with me. I have no conflated reasoning on that topic.

Perhaps you can spell out for me in more detail how that works. If you want to.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

(continued...)

Yes they do. For instance, if I have a right to freedom of speech, it obliges other people to allow me to speak freely. Other rights work the same way.

It is always "voluntary" to choose to obey the law, or more generally to act morally. But there are consequences for refusing to obey the law and for failing to act morally. When it comes to rights, it makes little sense to talk about them at all if there are no consequences for failing to respect them.

It sounds like we're more or less in agreement again. But you're still angry. Why?

What would be an example of a non-natural right that cannot be protected?

Another mistaken assumption about my level of awareness and knowledge. You probably should stop doing that. Petulantly throwing little barbs to try to make yourself feel smarter than me isn't having a lot of impact on me, other than to lower my opinion of you and my willingness to engage with you.

Nothing in that refutes my basic statement that the Australian Constitution is modelled in part on the US Constitution. Good to see you delving into Australian historical debates from the 1890s, though. It's always good to discover new things!

That's not really how it works in practice. In fact, it could be argued that the legislature is mostly beholden to the executive. But there's very little mention of the executive in the Constitution. There's no mention of a Prime Minister, for instance.

I'm not sure that rights have any objective basis. What do you mean by "objective" in that context?

Good to know!

You are unwilling to look beyond a dictionary that records everyday usage of words, to delve into what those words mean in any more depth? Seems strange for a scholar like yourself.

I mean, here we are, ostensibly having a discussion about what personhood entails, and the best you can do is to pull out a dictionary and look up the word "person"? Then pretend that your ability to use a dictionary puts you in a position to school me on the concept of personhood?

A suggestion: try worrying less about boosting your own ego by trying to belittle other people. Try to engage with people in a more honest way. Enter into discussions in the expectation that both participants might possibly learn something from the exchange.

I don't think that would be a good use of my time, in the current state of our discussion. If you aren't interested in going beyond the dictionary of common usage (whichever one you're using), then I don't think my referring you to philosophical treatises on personhood is very likely to sway your opinion.

It seems to me that you have some kind of prejudice against the great apes. It's almost as if you find them distasteful or repulsive in some way.

Fun fact: You share a common ancestor with the great apes, Vociferous. They are your distant cousins.

Sometimes, but not in this case. Do you think I didn't notice how you avoided yet another direct question there? I noticed. I find it so fascinating in certain conversations on this forum that people think they can avoid facing matters that make them uncomfortable simply by ignoring them.

If I may observe, my impression is that only a very narrow group of people appear to qualify as your "peeps". I get the impression that they have to resemble yourself quite closely before they qualify. It smacks of a certain level of narcissism. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe you're a really loving inclusive guy in "real life".

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  18. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

When you call cited definitions "incoherent" without any attempt to provide alternatives more to your liking, it's very hard to presume you apprehend the subject.
    Like I said earlier, people overly concerned with others liking them, like people in media/entertainment, tend to be leftists. I really can't help it that you take the disparity between our degrees of surety in our own views as arrogance. That would be your own, uncharitable presumptions (and possible emotional reactions) that are counterproductive to civil discourse. I genuinely wish you were more sure of yourself and weren't afraid to support your own claims. "Self-defeating"? Again, you seem to presume some motive, like maybe persuasion. I harbor no such illusions here.

People here teach me things all the time, even without interacting with me. Granted, mostly through my own research, in response, to better refine my own reasoning.
    Personally, I find the idea that I should care what anonymous strangers online may think of me a bit ridiculous. If that's part of your motive for posting here, and the idea, that someone else may not be as vested as you in the interaction (or not reciprocate your own desire to forge such friendships), is troublesome, maybe you don't want to interact with me. And that's okay. Your feelings are valid, to you.

Um, I thought I just asked a question. *crickets*

Okay, you're just incredulous that they exist at all. Like I said, likely cultural blind spot.

The null hypothesis is always that no special relationship or significance exists between any two things, like obligations and rights. Could be frogs and comets, for all it matters to the definition of the null hypothesis.

Bare assertion.

A thing does not have to be "of use" in order to exist. But I'd say survival is very useful.

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems you agree.

"Layer over"? Like obscure? If so, how so?

I did answer your question: "In your religious topics, definition of God, God's image, absent parent, you seemed to make much more rational, good faith posts, without all the fallacies."
    That's where we previously interacted and I formed my more positive opinion of you. But since you seem to want it spelled out, no, I'm not a sock puppet. I thought explaining our previous interaction would have covered that, but I guess there's no accounting for paranoia or whatever's going on there. I didn't realize you thought that was a critical question, demanding response. Maybe add an exclamation mark to the question mark next time. =D

If you say so.

Kind of pointless when you dismiss natural rights out of hand.

The fellow next to you could just as readily sock you in the mouth as allow you to speak. That obligation is completely voluntary, hence not inherent to the right.

19. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Cont...

There are always consequences for violating even natural rights, in nature without government. I've told you this before. Even without the threat of law, if you try to kill another, the natural consequence is that they try to end that threat by killing you. That's the natural right to self-defense. Now, you might be able to avoid those consequences, but crimes go unsolved and fugitives remain at large all the time too.

That's a pretty neutral statement of fact. So either you're projecting, you're laboring under the ill-conceived notion that I have a goat that can be gotten, or it's a pretty weak attempt to poison the well. Beside, I'm really not sure how a statement of agreement can be angry.

For example, the positive right to healthcare only exists so long as it is granted/provided. If it is no longer provided (like no more available funding or manpower), no amount of protection can make it provided. Whereas natural, negative rights exist inherently and thus can be protected. They are not contingent upon a grantor.

Then maybe you shouldn't make garbage claims about the similarity of the US and OZ constitutions, especially as they pertain to rights. Seems to have become a habit of yours to make arguments about a person's emotional state whenever you flat out avoid the response you get.

So the Australian Constitution now has a bill of rights and checks and balances between co-equal branches of government? You know, fundamental defining features of the US Constitution. Could you give me a reference to study up on?

That would still only seem to validate my observation that the OZ constitution doesn't have co-equal branches of government.
    As I understand it, the Aussie PM is technically appointed by an envoy of the Queen.
    The prime minister is appointed by the governor-general (the representative of the Australian monarch, currently Queen Elizabeth II). The position is not specifically identified in the Australian constitution, but its creation was assumed by the constitution's authors based on the conventions of the Westminster system.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Australia
    Remind me, from whence does the Westminster system hail?

You know, since the US Constitution does specify the office of POTUS.

Anyone is capable of observing it, like survival necessities.
    Does that help you formulate an objective basis for your own conception of rights?
    You know, so I know I'm not "different to you".

Lot of bellyaching for:
    A bunch of controversial usages justified with nothing more than anthropomorphism. No wonder you can't cite anything credible.

Again, you project emotions when you can't support your own claims.

Oh, you're a mind reader now, huh? Very cool. Too bad you're no good at it.

I told you what I thought a person was, with definitions (you know, how I define it). Since I'm not as cool as you, I can't answer questions that were not asked by mind reading. But I have noticed when questions go conspicuously unanswered. Very telling indeed. Especially when people overcompensate for them with projection (like you failing to give your definition of a word you had just asked me to define).

The group of humans isn't very narrow. Although, I admit, it is narrowed a bit by not including anonymous strangers online. But then, considering them your peeps (often used to refer to a person's friends or associates) is rather sad and pathetic.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Vociferous:

I'm trying to learn more about the subject. How about you? Do you think you already know it all?

Clearly our mileage may vary on what we regard as "over concern" in this regard. Your life experiences, too, have no doubt shaped your expectations of how much love you can expect from others, and you have adjusted your attitudes in response.

I really can't help that you take my assessement of your arrogance to be based on your degree of self-confidence.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I sometimes wish I was more sure of myself, too. On the other hand, I think it can be wise not to be too sure of yourself and puffed up by your own opinions. Don't you? As for fear, you're mistaken again. Best not to make assumptions like that.

I was thinking about the wider picture. Not here. You. Your life in general.

Glad to hear that. The same applies to me to some extent, although I'd probably be more charitable in how I'd go about expressing that sentiment.

I understand where you're coming from. You're consistent in your attitudes, at least.

Possibly worth considering is that whenever you write something for consumption by an audience, that audience will form an opinion of you, whether or not you value it. That opinion will inevitably influence their choice to avoid you or to read more of your writings. It could well be that the size of your audience doesn't matter to you. You could just perhaps keep a personal diary and be content with that.

Yes, but your question was based on an incorrect assumption about what I think. It's not conducive to discussion to ask somebody "why do you think X?" before you have established that they think X. Understand?

Not incredulous. Skeptical. It could be a cultural blind spot, or it could be that they don't exist at all, other than as a relatively incoherent concept, as I suggested. I'm willing to be convinced either way.

I explained why previously. You can read back over my previous posts if you've forgotten.

Technically, I agree. Certainly the concept of natural rights exists, useful or not.

I'm glad we cleared that one up, too, then.

The concept of a "right to do X" can distract attention from the more important issue of whether it is moral to do X, or in the meta-sense whether it is moral to give a general licence to do X.

For instance, in a discussion about the display of the Confederate flag, we might agree that Americans have a right to display the flag. However, it appears that you and I disagree on whether it is moral to do so (or about the circumstances in which it is moral to do so). The moral discussion doesn't end once you say somebody has a right to do something.

Thank you. You could have just said that initially. It would have saved time. Instead, for some reason or other, you tried to avoid making a statement on way or the other on that. I can only guess at your motives at this point, but several possibilities occur to me.

What makes you think I dismiss them out of hand? I have posted questions about them. I have ventured opinions on them. I am hoping to learn more about them.

If we are not having a discussion about natural rights, what are we talking about? The thread title, remember, is "God given rights?", which you equate with "natural rights", if I understand you correctly.

How could I then claim that I had freedom to speak? Isn't the implication of a right to free speech that one can speak without being socked in the mouth, thrown in jail or subjected to other penalty when one carries out the mentioned activity?

What use is a "right" to free speech if you get socked in the mouth every time you try to exercise it? Is it even coherent to claim to have such a right in that circumstance? Wouldn't you look a bit silly standing there with a bloody mouth for the 10th time saying "It's my right to speak freely!" (I'm assuming here, as you do, that rights don't need to impose any obligations on anybody else in order to exist.)

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

(continued...)

Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm trying to understand. You're saying the "right to self-defense" is a natural right because if somebody else tries to kill you then you can try your best to kill them instead (or in response).

Do you think, that having the capacity to take a certain kind of action is enough, in and of itself, to bring a "right" into existence? Would be it be fair to say that I have a "right" to do anything I can get away with?

Even that "getting away with something" idea implies to me that somebody else is there, either to approve of my action or to disallow it or penalise me for it. Otherwise, whether my would-be murderer kills me or I kill him is just something that happens, with no particular impact on the rest of the world. If I stand up and proclaim, after the fact, that it was my right to kill the other guy, what does that matter? Nobody else is affected. Nobody else cares. Or do they?

Contrast this "natural right to self defence" with a legal right to self defence, say. When I stand up in a court of law and say "He came at me with a knife; I had little choice but to kill him or to die myself", then the judge might say "The law - and we the people who uphold the law - recognise your right to self defence. Therefore you will not be jailed for killing your attacker." I would say that it would be quite reasonable in these circumstances to walk out of a court and proclaim that I had a right to self defence, confirmed by the court in this instance.

In my court example, there is a concrete benefit to my having the right. In that example, I avoided jail because I had the right. But that doesn't appear to apply in the dog-eat-dog survival world. In that world, the only thing I avoided was dying, because I managed to kill the other guy first. It would make no difference at all to my subsequent life whether I stood up after the fact and loudly told the world I had the right to kill in self defence or not.

Maybe you're saying that the legal right to self defence follows in some way from the supposed natural right to self defence. But I'm not sure that's true. The "natural right to self defence" appears to mean little else than "sometimes people are able to defend themselves against attacks", which is just a statement about facts in the world. But the legal right to self defence is a moral judgment about what "acceptable behaviour" includes. I don't see any way to get from your "objective" facts-in-the-world to the moral "subjective" judgment about what kinds of behaviour ought to be protected.

I hope you can explain.

From your description, it seems to me that the only guaranteed protector of natural rights is the individual claiming those rights. Whereas granted or provided rights are not necessarily guaranteed, even by the individual claiming them. Is that correct? Would this be a valid way to distinguish natural rights from all other rights - the ability of the individual to enact the right on his own?

I haven't made any garbage claims about that. In fact, I haven't discussed with you how or whether the Australian constitution protects rights. I've made a correct statement that the Australian Constitution was modelled on the US Constitution. If you prefer, you can substitute the words "strongly influenced by" for the words "modelled on" if the latter form offends you for some reason.

Habit or not, I'm accurate, as evidenced by your angry reference to "garbage claims" etc. That is hardly emotionally neutral language. Maybe you don't even realise you're doing it.

Not a bill of rights. We can put a big tick next to check and balances and co-equal branches of government, though.

We could have a separate discussion about how rights are recognised and implemented in the laws of Australia if you're interested in learning more.

No problem. I can give you many:

Click here

You're mistaken.

Correct. The Queen is the titular Head of State. However, the Queen is no longer empowered to make any laws for Australia or to exert executive power in Australia.

No problem. It hails from England, now part of Great Britain (or the United Kingdom).

The equivalent powers of the US President are distributed in the Australian Constitution. Sensibly, we didn't choose to vest too much executive power in one person. Although modelled on the US Constitution, the Australian Constitution does not blindly reproduce it. Australia had the advantage of being able to observe how well your one worked, or failed to work, before writing its own.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

(continued...)

Survival necessities may well be observable, but rights are somewhat more intangible I think.

No. It doesn't help me much. I'm not convinced that an objective basis for rights can be found, as I said.

How does it go? Oh yes. I'm supposed to respond with "Bare assertion" at this point, aren't I?

Maybe you need a primer on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personhood

Maybe. Let me ask you some direct questions, then, so I'm not making unwarranted assumptions.
    1. Do you find the apes (chimpanzees, Gorillas etc.) distasteful or repulsive, in general?
    2. Do you accept that human beings and the apes evolved from a common ancestor?
    3. Do you agree that chimpanzess share about 99% of their DNA with human beings, and gorillas around 98%?
    4. Do you agree that there are many anatomical similarities between apes and human beings, which most likely result from the shared DNA?
    5. Do you accept that apes can communicate with one another, and with human beings?
    6. Do you accept that apes have complex brains, capable of formulating concepts, such as those that would be prerequisites for communication?
    7. Do you accept that apes have the capacity to experience pain?
    8. Do you regard the scientific evidence for features such as the shared DNA, the ability to communicate or feel pain, say, as "controversial usages justified with nothing more than anthropomorphism"?
    9. If apes have the ability to communicate and feel pain, do they have any rights?
    That will do for starters, to help to clarify things for me.

Mind reading is not necessary. Just careful reading combined with an application of one's own knowledge and experience of human behaviour and, in this case, commonly-observed behaviours of posters to internet forums.

Yes. You define it as a human being.

I think your definition is naively and arbitrarily restrictive, as well as being self-serving.

Don't beat yourself up. Not everybody can be as cool as me!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I haven't got the impression that you are at all interested in how I might define the word "person". In fact, I get the distinct impression that you have already decided that any definition other than your preferred one must necessarily be nothing more than a "controversial usage justified with nothing more than anthropomorphism". Let me know if this is incorrect and you want to explore the matter further. But please read the wikipedia article I linked, first.

That's a matter of perspective!

Really? Do you think it is sad and pathetic to have friends or associates online? Why is that? People are people, whether they are on the internet or off it, aren't they? It sounds like you might be just a little jealous of the idea that I might have some online friends and disappointed that you do not, so you're trying to make yourself feel better again by trying to put somebody else down.

Do need a hug, Vociferous?

23. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

James. James, James, James:

Can't help you much when you just dismiss citations out of hand. Would seem to be some motivate reasoning going on there.
    I don't know it all, and I've already told you that "People here teach me things all the time".

Aw, you don't seem to know the difference between neediness and healthy expressions of mutual caring.

That was a bit of advise, not any assessment of what you believe...which of course, is completely valid, to you.

Hey, I'm not the one who's the cool mind reader.
    As far as supporting your own claims, I'll believe it when I see it.

Wow, you really place a lot of significance on an online forum full of strangers.

Absolutely! But considering the flavor of interactive audience here, I tend to think more about the possible passive audience.
    And it has nothing to do with the size of the audience. Again, that tends to be more a consideration of needy leftists.
    The active audience here only serves to help play devil's advocate in refining my reasoning. And it is appreciated. A diary couldn't do that.

Do you know how questions work? It often helps to couch the question in a way that clearly illustrates what misconceptions you may be hoping to clear up, e.g. my assumptions. Now, if you take that as a loaded question or something, well, I did give you the out of agreeing that it was a false dilemma. You could even call it a straw man, as unintended as that may be.

And if absolutely nothing else, any question is an invitation to say "I don't think that, but here's what I do think". Instead, you seem to have opted for the supremely uninformative and assumption-egging no answer at all. To which I can only say, no, I do not understand.

Sounds like you've already decided, and as I've said, I'm not here to convince anyone.
    As long as you persist in making unsupported claims against the null hypothesis, that things like obligations and rights are not inherently related, it seems we're at an impasse. At least a supported claim would provide something to work with.

No, that whole chain of argument has been bare assertion, from the beginning.

I never said nor implied that it did. I agreed that:
    "People have the right to do plenty of immoral things."​

Again, I didn't know that was a burning question, consuming you until directly answered. Please, feel free to somehow point those out to me when you ask them. I wouldn't want you to lose any sleep over it.

Oh, bare assertions and unsupported claims often attend to dismissals.
    Unless you can see your way to either accept my cited definition or provide one more to your liking, I really don't know how else to overcome your insistence that all rights are essentially only granted rights. But I'll try a different tack.

If you were out in the wilderness, far from any law enforcement at all, would you consider it your right to defend your own life?
    Do you require the law, no matter how far removed from a situation of imminent peril, to grant you the capability of exercising that right? Or do you have that capability, regardless of the proximity or existence of any such grantor?

Well, that's an argument against any rights existing at all, now isn't it? Since all laws (that protect rights) are fundamentally voluntary, others only refrain from infringing on your rights out of the goodness of their hearts. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from all consequences for your speech. And getting socked in the mouth is regrettably among them. The First Amendment largely only curtails the government from infringing on your speech. Only laws against assault protect you from that possible consequence, in all practicality. But still, only to the extent that people are good or wish to avoid the consequences of assaulting you. The wrong person could always decide murder is the best way to do that.

Considering that circumstance is the possible reality, insisting upon absolute rights seems to be an argument against any such rights existing at all.
    But if someone has assaulted you, your right to self-defense then takes priority. You can always continue to speak freely after dealing with that threat. No right exists in a bubble.