God proved to me that he exists.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you would say it was photoshopped or a weird coincedence and you know it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

If somebody wants somebody else to believe something, especially something that's unbelievable by its very nature, the burden of proof is always going to be on the one making the claims.

Healthy skepticism is probably the most intelligent position to take regarding claims of extraordinary miraculous events.

If some God was really writing things in the sky, then that would obviously be the most important event on the planet.

Of course, the problem is establishing that some God was really doing that. I think that given the realities of human psychology, that imagination, self-delusion and conceivably even psychopathology are more likely than divine miracles to be explanations for these kinds of reports.

I happen to personally know a guy who often hears voices speaking inside his walls, talking about him. Nobody else has ever heard those voices.

It's sad, but it happens. In fact, it seems to happen a lot more frequently than gods writing Arabic across the sky. And that in turn suggests that the explanation for miraculous words seeming to appear in the sky are more likely to be psychological than theological.

But like Spidergoat says, if these words in the sky were visible to other people too, visible to everyone (even to non-Muslims) who looked up at the sky, and if they could be captured on cameras and recording instruments, then the odds might start to shift towards some other kind of explanation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I might say it was photoshopped, as that is a reasonable explanation. However, some evidence is better than nothing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think chi is probably just wanting to share, and i don't think that sharing should be such a burden.

why?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you mean like condensation?

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

lol. not if it's deemed photoshopped or chaulked up to a coincedence it's not.

9. Yazata Valued Senior Member

If it was just one single photograph, then I'd be inclined to think that it was likely photoshopped as well.

But if this miracle occurred over New York City or something, if thousands of people from all religious backgrounds reported seeing it, and if there were hundreds of photographs from a whole variety of sources all showing the same thing from different angles, then I would be inclined to think that something really happened and that whatever the explanation was, it probably wasn't going to be individual psychology.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  10. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

not saying i believe him or not..

but has anyone considered how much Arabic writing resembles clouds?

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you mean like the bevy of mass ufo sightings and respective documentation?

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

People can be subject to mass delusions, but if it were clear enough it might be convincing. If it were captured on film. I would only ask if God told EmptyForce'oChi anything that we don't know already. Any predictions? Prophets usually do stuff like that.

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

oh for god's sake.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why are your standards of evidence so low? Or do you have any at all?

15. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

my standards aren't low. god actually had to prove himself to me remember? i'm a rare case according to my standards.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But you seem to have trouble convincing anyone else. Doesn't that seem like a problem?

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

it was a huge problem for me for a while. a source of frustration and isolation, that i was planning on advising chi about...

i didn't, and couldn't, rely on another person's testimony to prove god's existence to me. and i realize now that it's not my responsibility to prove anything to anyone. if god can handle proving his existence to me, then he can handle proving it to others as well. that's not to say that my experience won't be influential to others, it already has been, and i believe it will continue to be; it's just not my fault is all. i can, and i did, scream from the rooftops about what happened to me. i can be as honest, and as sane as the day is long. i can be intelligent. but i can not make someone believe what they are not willing to believe. as a matter of fact, i don't think god can either.

18. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

You mean the voices in your head? That's a low standard indeed.

19. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

for all it's worth, why don't you just grunt, jump up and down, and pick your ass or something, and leave us all out of it?

20. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Ah, you mean you only want to hear from those who drink the kool-aid with you.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

no, that's not at all what i meant, but i'm not surprised you didn't get it.

22. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

I guess I don't get it because I don't hear voices in my head.

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

OK - for the sake of argument, let's say God does reveal itself to some.

1. Why some and not others?

And, ya gotta admit, some people who claim to have talked to God are whackos, so...

2. How are those of us, whom it has chosen not to talk to, supposed to distinguish between the two?