Godel and Boolean logic

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Vkothii, Feb 27, 2009.

1. swarm Registered Senior Member

Math doesn't prove anything directly about the universe. The universe proves or disproves the mathematical models we use to discuss its nature.

I think what you are trying to get at is that no formal system is sufficient to completely and coherently discuss everything there is to discuss about the universe.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

You seem to have little training in logic.
    What you're describing here is a conditional material implication.
    Which is not the same thing as a proposition.

Hopefully, whilst you're banned, you'll take some time to study.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Well said swarm.
    This is exactly what I was saying in Posts #4 and #20.
    I think that Vkothii/sherlok is confused about the purpose of mathematics/logic (or any closed system for that matter..).

This may be an interesting idea to investigate.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. swarm Registered Senior Member

I think its a foregone conclusion that all formal systems are subsets of the universe and Godel showed any formal system capable of self description is at least either incomplete or incoherent therefor applying a system which can't fully handle the subset is not going to result in success with the superset.

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

Closed System

Definition

An isolated system having no interaction with an environment.

A traditional cybernetics term connoting a system which is hermetically isolated with respect to environmental influence (e.g., impervious to external "feedback"), and hence not responsive or adaptive to its medium over time. The opposite of an "open system" (in the same traditional terminology).

http://www.imprint.co.uk/thesaurus/closed system.htm

9. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I don't; it's you who are confused Vkothii

I can only take from this that you've never encountered a dictionary of philosophy.

A proposition is any implicative statement. So, for example, 'p' can be a proposition.

Unlike a proposition, a conditional material implication is a form of argument, generally of the form: If 'p' then 'q'.

Note how the two are completely dissimilar in form.
    Note also how the latter necessarily contains at least 2 (though usually 3) of the former.

Seriously man... take some time off... go study.

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Hence the scientific method or... sanity. It's easiest to presume the universe can't lie and if we encounter an anomaly it's the theory that's short of explanation power rather than the universe 'lying'.

True dat, but alas, you have what you have to work with. Really I think godel touched directly upon the circumstance of perspective, and in a weird way, contradicts his own argument by having established a universal truth!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

just my opinion of course.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Translation: There's no way to know if you missed something.

12. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Indeed.
    What's more, Godel demonstrated that you can't use your methodology for determining whether or not you've missed something, to determine whether or not that methodology has missed something.

13. swarm Registered Senior Member

Actually its more subtle than that.

If you have a formal system for knowing then either you have missed something and/or you are crazy.

14. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Lol, awesome.

15. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

endless loopy stuff

16. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

lol

True enough.
    That's what I was haphazardly trying to say, but the formulation just wouldn't come out right.
    I think Godel's work can only be really understood correctly when taking into account how it was a reaction to the challenge posted by Hilbert (one of them at least..). In particular, Hilbert was seeking a proof that a formal system can be complete and decidable; Godel sought to accomplish that, but succeeded in the opposite.

Cool.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

18. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

No, the statement "I am a liar" is not problematic. What you want is "this statement is false." That one is where the issue lies.

Well, I guess that's the same thing if you define "liar" to mean "someone who always and only makes false statements." But that's not the normal definition of "liar," and the point is more clear if you just refer to the statement directly.

It's not a tautology, because it only applies to systems of formal logic sufficiently powerful to encode the statement "this statement is false." I.e., you need to be able to make statements about the truth value of other statements in the system. Systems that are too weak to do that don't suffer from this flaw - they can be shown to be consistent and complete.

Also, even for strong systems, your statement isn't true as written. I can most certainly construct a formal logic system that is complete by simply adding the required statements ("this statement is false," etc.) to it. The problem I'll encounter if I do that - and this is the meat of Godel's theorem - is that the resulting system will be inconsistent. I'll be able to both prove and disprove any statement I can come up with.

Godel's theorem goes like this: any system of formal logic powerful enough to model the natural numbers cannot be both consistent and complete.

Note that there exist interesting systems below the power threshold in question. Euclidean geometry is known to be both consistent and complete. To the thread title: Boolean algebra is not subject to Godel, and has been proven to be complete.

And you can always construct a system of formal logic that escapes Godel and still proves any first-order statement you want it to, simply by making the axioms an exhaustive list of all first-order properties you want to be true. Granted, that's kind of trivial (and bloated), but there it is.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  19. Emil Valued Senior Member

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You bumped a 3 year old thread Vkotthi thread to link to a locked and cesspooled 3-year-old Vkotthi thread?

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Did I do good, or bad?
    What's bumping?

As far as I can see, the ban on discussion of TRI*****S has not been rescinded.
    It is written.

What's 3 years in the history of the universe, after all?

If bumping means going off topic, then I apologise.
    In future, please no-one even mention not being allowed to mention ***ANGLES.
    It is clearly off limits.

Last edited: May 9, 2012