Good Lif View

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Good Life View

A friend of mine has this incredibly cool outlook on life that I had to share, some background facts first though:

1) First, I'm not here to debate the validity of his thoughts, just wnat to know if this helps you. (So no arguments about God, please)

2) Second he believes, when we're dead counciesness ends.

3) Third, at only age fifteen (due to genetics) he has horrible cholesterol and a damaged liver (due to heart medication).

He believes that there probably is a God and that God gave you life so that to be in Heaven you make life Heaven, Hell is if you make life Hell. He doesn't let stupid things phase him, is constantly enjoying the beauty of life and rarely gets angery and I've never, ever seen him depressed. Even when his dad was in the hospital for a heart attack.

Though I've never really been able to live his lifestyle (I'm chronically depressed) hanging out with him always makes me feel happy, no matter what the hell has been going on. I think we worry about stupid things too much and never truley slow down and appreiceite things.

Just thought it might help.

~Cactus

Last edited: Apr 25, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I think you're right! We do worry about dumb stuff - like bills, what people think about us, etc... We should all live life like that. Always happy and taking time out to enjoy what life has to offer. I know sometimes when Im feelin shitty, Ill stop, look around and see that this planet is soo beautiful and that my problems are so little and insignificant compared to the beauty thats out there.

Groove on and take care of each other

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

If only we could all think like that. Unfortunatly, some of us can't.

I have a few things to say.

Most importantly, havey ou been professionally diagnosed as as chronic depressive? If not, PLEASE do not go claiming you have it. To those of us that do, it seems very ignorant. If you think you have it but have not been diagnosed, chances are you dont have it. Most teens now adays think at one point in their teen years (duh) that they are chronically depressed. Or unusually depressed. The fact is, most have regular depression. It's a result of society today. Chronic depression is another step on. I have it and get about 3-4 hours MAX of sleep a night when I go to be at 10:30 and dont have to be up until 7:30.

"He believes that there probably is a God and that God gave you life so that to be in Heaven you make life Heaven, Hell is if you make life Hell. He doesn't let stupid things phase him, is constantly enjoying the beauty of life and rarely gets angery and I've never, ever seen him depressed"

Then he's simply an emotional and idealistic thinker. Not unlike Nelson. People who shut themselves off from logical thought are generally quite happy and content with life. What does he base his opinions of God on? Nothing. No Bible or religious text states this. It's simply a faith. One that will make him quite happy, but also one that goes COMPLETELY against logic. It's heavily debateable which is better. Like I said in a past post......Is Ignorance Bliss?

"Though I've never really been able to live his lifestyle (I'm chronically depressed) hanging out with him always makes me feel happy, no matter what the hell has been going on. I think we worry about stupid things too much and never truley slow down and appreiceite things"

If you can be that happy, it's likely not chronic depression. Think about it for a second, do you have like month long sets where you are NOTHING but depressed? And then like a couple weeks where you feel normal? That's chronic depression. If you can have a depressiv month interupted by a single person, well, you're either in love with the guy (which really wouldn't even help in all likelyhood) or you aren't chronically depressed.

Third, this attitude, while making the person happy, will not help the larger population. It is the small things which make up life, so not paying attention to them will cause big problems eventually. However, this is only if you truly want to make an impact on life. I think we're all old enough to realize the chances of any of us actually be significant in the course of history is next to nill. So best of luck to your friend, but reassure him that to most of the people on earth, the small things do matter. Don't let them worry you (don't let the big things worry you either), but realzie they are important.

Fourth, and finally, change your damn font colour strgrl. I can't read it!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Sorry Tyler. When I said Chronically Depressed I wasn't reffering to the condition, simple that I seem to have a "passion" I suppose for depression. No I haven't been diagnosed and I'm not really sure I have Chronic Depression, in fact I doubt it, that's the reason for the other post. I may have had it at one time but not currently. No meaning to offend, I claim nothing.

Second, the main point of the post was just to show a outlook that does comfort me and that we should stop evey once and a while to realize no matter what happens the big picture is an incredibly beautiful thing.......

Thanx and sorry for offense, Cactus

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

A mere trifle consoles us, for a mere trifle distresses us. -Pascal

Don't let the little things phase you? Bull. Little things hurt us, little things make us feel better, and so on.

Unless you have an actual disorder. Clinical depression, Cactus, is not somthing that 'goes away', so you cannot have had it at one point then just gotten over it. In all liklihood.

9. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Thanx. Once again was not trying to start something. I don't share his philosophy, I'm only comforted by it. Sorry, shouldn't have posted this thread I guess.

Please except apologies ~Cactus~

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

No, you should definetly have posted the thread.
    Did you learn something from it? Yes.
    Is that not always good? Yes.

Did someone else learn from it, or gain from it? Probably.

So be happy about it.

And don't worry, no offense taken. I just want to warn you about mulling over chronic depression.

"I seem to have a "passion" I suppose for depression"

Teenager, right? Don't worry about it. I'm guessing you recently got big into philosophy and such, right? The initial step can usually cause depression. If not, then it's just being a teenager that causes it. And don't worry, eventually you'll get to accepting the fact that life is too short to worry.

11. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Thanx. No its not the usual teenage stuff, a lot of other really f*cked up factors. And actualy Philosophy has helped me feel better as far as religion goes. Questioning everything is a lot more comforting then just sitting there and believing it like a good boy.

Once again sorry, Cactus.

12. Psycho_Potato Kermit the Communist Registered Senior Member

I know how to tie my shoes

I figured out how to tie those shoes of mine the other day. It too great effort, and unfortunetly some pain and suffering, but I got it done. As they say in german:
    Ich bin ganz speziell, also halt die Schnauze.