Good News

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Morteza Olangui, Feb 21, 2004.

1. ItalianItellectual Registered Senior Member

I just go my license and I'm 16, and I find driving a necessity. What planet have you been living on for 27 years?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Italianintellectual, you don't think much do ya!? Not all individuals have had the financial means on earth to aquire an automobil, so respect is in order, not all individuals have had their daddy purchase their car, some people live with out ever learning to drive, even here in the Americas, I've met such peoples, your only 16, good for you, but before you call your self "intellectual" make sure you use some (intellect).

Godless.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Morteza Olangui Enemy of the people Registered Senior Member

HI Godless:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you sound a bit tough here. Teens should be encouraged not discouraged. quack-quack, thanks

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Morteza it's a matter of "perception" I thought I was being encouraging, by showing his flaws, and misdirection, he chooses to be called an intellectual, so I only ask that he use some intellect! that is think before you speak, don't assume, and blather the ovious by western standards. My dad bought my first car, however I had to pay him back, my own insurance, and maintenance. Now that I have no dad, I know how hard it is to aquire a car new or used, to maintain pay insurance, and try and get by with minimal pay. He "assumes" any individual should be driving by age 16, with out the knowledge that poor people may not be able to afford an automobil, no need for license, no driving skill required, unless economical means change, and they are able to aquire one.

Godless.

8. ItalianItellectual Registered Senior Member

True, I agree w/ Godless. Thank you, I've been conditioned in thinking as a person that does not suffer through the hardships. Sometimes I yearn for those experiences. I couldn't believe I made such an awful mistake. Thank Godless for opening my eyes. Forgive me Morteza. And no I don't assume that everyone should have a car, I had a moment of complete stupidity, I'm human, and "intellectual" is just a catchy name. Even though I spelled it wrong. I'm changing it to Italiano.

9. Silverback Registered Senior Member

"What is defensive driving?"

Assume that no matter how wonderfully you drive, obeying every rule, the guy in the car next to you is a complete moron who is not paying any attention to the world around him and might not even see you. In fact, he is probably drunk. You follow the rules, but you are prepared for his mistakes.

And then you re-read the first post by Godless, and you will be fine.

ps, I almost never use the horn. In my experience, it just makes the other drivers look around to see where it came from, rather than focus them on a problem. I use it if I am going to be crushed by someone coming into my lane when they shouldn't. They look to see where it came from and they see me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  10. Morteza Olangui Enemy of the people Registered Senior Member

Hi Italianintelectual:
    I

wish all intelectuals were like you. Just one post and your eyes

opened. It is really amazing!
    Godless, I congradulate you for having such an effective words. I do not call my self intelectual, just because I am not easily overwhelmed.
    quack -quack and thanks

11. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

yeah.. winter driving is rotten..
    i took out a fence a couple weeks ago.. ruined the car (shifted engine or something)..

i was sooo close to being able to answer no to that question:"have you had any accidents in the past two years?"

so close... but i didn't claim it, so only my chiropractor knows. hehe.

12. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Morteza claims that he just started driving, I doubt that he's had an accidents or driven during the winter much.

I've come to the conclusion that acsidents are unavoidable, one time or another some one may just run that red light or stop sign, and you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've been hit several times, most accidents I've had are not my fault, however once it clearly was, I took the chance and got hit, by someone I didn't even see coming, turning left on a real busy street. No one was hurt. (fender-bender) trafic is very heavy here in Houston Texas. It was a two way st. next to a sop light, the line was so long I could hardly see what was coming from left, I had to inch over bit by bit, on the oncoming trafic, polite people just let you in, however the girl was coming from the left side, and didn't see the nose of my car, plus she was speeding.
    I've never had a major acsident were it was my fault. I got run down on a red light, making a left turn with green arrow. The lady that ran the red light was drunk she ran the red light truck got totaled. Also been hit by someone that ran a stop sign, now a days passengers wonder why I always yield when going through neighborhoods that have stop signs.

Godless.

13. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Got rear-ended by a truck once coz i DIDNT go thru a red light and he thought i would. Ya cant win.

14. Morteza Olangui Enemy of the people Registered Senior Member

Hi:
    As I have said I started driving more than a month ago. As I live out of the capital, I have driven there once, in the heavy traffic. So far and fortunately I haven`t had any accidents.
    One thing I want to add is that I have no experience in driving on roads outside the cities. I am going to drive out of Tehran tomorrow., God`s willing.
    If any one can give me any instructions on driving on roads outside the cities I will be very thankful.
    P.S. There is a highway from near where I live to Tehran. I have driven on it a few times. Thanks, quack-quack

15. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Morteza, I do prefer to drive out in the country, that is outside of big cities, while driving for long distances. I wouldn't know how your hyways would be compared to the States, so basically do this: Enjoy the scenery, but remain constant watch for criters running out in front of you, don't let a small animal cause you an accident. Usually when I take a long trip, if it is about two hours, I like to stop for rest. Our hyways here in the states are equiped with rest stops, they have restrooms, candy-soda pop machines, nice scenery with picknics tables and even grills. A long drive is tyring, so if you start feeling it, good advise would be take a rest stop, or let your wife drive for a while.

Godless.

16. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

bottom line is be aware of your surroundings, try to predict the flow of trafik around you and move arcordingly to where you want to be, do not rush.
    ScRaMbLe was not aware of his surroundings, otherwise he would not have step on the break(assuming hard stop)

17. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

First; make sure your car is always road worthy--brakes, lights and tyres are very important.

Town driving:
    Never drive fast in side streets, always assume that a dog or child might run out into the road from between parked cars.

All roads:
    At junctions, look right, look left and look right again (sometimes you have to repeat that sequence) before you turn into the opposite lane.

Always allow pedestrians and cyclists at least 1 metre space.

Learn to check your side rear-view mirrors routinely as you drive and especially when you're intending to change lanes because sometimes, vehicles (esp motorbikes), tend to creep up to your blind spots from nowhere.

Never tailgate anyone and if anyone does it to you, don't get intimidated and feel that you have to speed up, just let them pass.

Never stay stuck behind a car that seems to be poing too slowly or too cautiously or too erratically, learn to overtake safely and without hesitation when the need arises.

Always keep your mind on your driving and avoid having arguments in the car, don't turn your head to look at someone you are conversing with or to scold a child, for example. Don't use your mobile phone, don't smoke, don't eat, don't drink, don't read and don't have sex while driving.

Always enter box junctions cautiously at a safe speed.

Check your mirror before braking.

18. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

is a box junction just another word for a normal crossing ?

19. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It's normally where 4 main roads meet up, so there's this large square shaped junction with a yellow grid pattern on it, which you mustn't enter unless your exit is clear, that is, you can't drive into the middle of it and stop to wait to turn left or right or to wait behind stationary traffic.

20. gnasher Registered Senior Member

Gosh - isn't everyone giving great advice?

Why then does everyone drive as if posessed by the devil? Braking distances measured in microns? The speed limit is the speed limiter in the engine?(1) Bus lanes are for buses and people in a rush. Amber at traffic lights now seems to mean HURRY THROUGH!

Just give in and copy everyone else, and trade the Matiz for a Range Rover. (Rather better in a crunch).

(1) If anyone in the UK ever uses the train that goes on WCML (London to Manchester) - take a look out of the window where it runs next to the M1 - I guess the train is going at about 120mph - and count the cars that overtake!

21. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Sort of. 6am, dark, raining, half asleep and the truck only had one headlight working. I thought it was a motorbike i was seeing in my rearview! Much less stopping distance than a truck.

22. Morteza Olangui Enemy of the people Registered Senior Member

Hi everyone:
    Thank you for your advice. Thanks everybody for taking the pain to post his/her advice. Your advice are very useful and made me heedful.
    On Thursday, My wife and I drove abot 300kms from our aboding place to our destination, north of Semnan, a province in central of Iran.
    We came back home on Friday. All the way back home, my wife was driving. As I have told you before, it is her car. And she enjoys drvining it. You should have been there and saw her. She was driving 100kms an hour.
    Now I can talk about my own driving experience.
    Dear ones:

1- You should know that it may be nobody`s business to know what you do, but while driving it is everybody`s business. The one who is driving behind, in front or besides you must know what you are going to do.
    2- I do not know about the situation in your countries, but here there are a few books teaching the traffic and road signs. People buy them and read them and when they pas the driving test and get their licence they forget it. I tell you that these books, like the Qoran and The Bible must be read, not to be left on the shelf.
    So when you read them the signs on the road talk to you. You do not pass them unnoticed. So read those books evry now and then. You will see!
    Thanks again for all your advice. quack - quack

P.S. Some body said : "do not make sex" while driving, is it possible?

23. Silverback Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah. Possible but not always advisable. Rather distracting...