Good Philosophy Books?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I was wondering what were some good philosophy books out there? I was looking for something about the debate on God's existance and then some works by Nietzsche maybe.

Thanx,
    Cactus

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

It is not a book, but infidels.org's library is a good place to start.

Thumbs up<br> Thumbs down
    And there's some more in the historical section.

Nietzsche's <i>Thus Spake Zarathustra</i> is widely regarded as his most important work.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I actually just got a neitzsche for my birthday. I believe it's just called 'The Collected Works of Neitzsche'. Very nice book.

Recent release; The New Thought Police.

8. Robeson Registered Senior Member

anything by Bertran Russell

9. BustedCrutch Registered Member

Nietzsche: Philosopher, Phsychologist, Antichrist. (Walter Kaufmann, currently at 4th edition. Princeton Press.)
    This book is great! Its a perfect beginning for anyone who wants to get a little Nietzsche in their life. Not only does it contain vital excerpts from his greatest work, but it contains the context surrounding them needed to understand them properly.

The Essential Kierkegaard (Hong/Hong, currently at 1st edition I believe. Princeton Press.)
    Who doesn't need a little exestentialism? Start with the man who, before Freud, insisted that our brain was complex processes of multiple processes interacting in reflection and inflection.

Plato's Republic (Public domain, buy the cheapest possible!)
    Regarded as Plato's masterwork. Try to get a copy with Crito and The Apology to get a good view of the real character of Socrates, since later in Plato's work Socrates seems to be merely a mouthpiece for his own motives and ideas.

Meditations on First Philosophy (Also public domain)
    We've all heard "I think therefore I am," now read how the man got to that point. Descartes systematically breaks down all knowledge which he can't prove to be true, and starts a foundation of absolute truth. "Cogito ergo sum," is that foundation. Though Nietzsche criticized the phrase, and thought it should be merely "I think" (therefore implies logic, and if logic exists before thought then "I think" is not the foundation), it still serves as a starting point for many journeying down a philosophical path.

Any more?

10. g4alien Registered Member

The Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living.
    this book is quite profound for me.

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The Human Condition by Lewis Mumford.

1984 by George Orwell.

EDIT: Actually the Mumford book might be The Condition Of Man. I can't find it. Need to clean up my library.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2002
  12. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think
    by George Lakoff

13. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I would get a book on the history of philosophy, read through it, decide what you like and go from there. You've got to decide what you like.

14. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Theism, Atheism, and Big Bang Cosmology by William Lane Craig, Quentin Smith

The Experience of Nothingness
    by Michael Novak

If you have never read nietzche, I suggest starting with "the gay science". It is much more direct than zarathustra. Nietzche doesn't beat around the bush in proclaiming "god is dead". It was my first nietzche read, and it rocked my world.