GRAAAAH! RAP/HIPHOP MUSIC!God someone help me im going insane!

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Squashbuckler, Jun 5, 2003.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

didn't they say the same thing about rock 'n roll?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

yeah, but first, it's not hiphop/rap, it's pop music. I'm sure any REAL fan of r n b wouldn't call destiny's child r n b, for the same reason, all REAL hip hop heads know fifty cent is pop. His shit stinks, should change his name to shitty scent, but I digress

Regardless of whether he's pop, hip hop, or neither, there is one fact that remains: he is, first and foremost, pure and utter garbage!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Leviticus Banned Banned

basically grazzhoppa is right
    in a generaion so BLOODY affected by the media people are just going to like what the industry tells them and what they hear all day and night. If youve got a problem- blowup every record company, advertising agency, and basiclly any madia buissnes that is run by people and you may just find that music that is good will appear at number one. (of course you blew up the radio station but whatever).

However, if you do that, then youll just get someone posting a thread here saying about how they hate all this music on the (now non-exsistent) radio and how they like all the mindless crap that used to populate the airwaves.

Personally, i dont give a toss what is number one. Just because everyine else likes it doesnt mean you have to listen to it as well.

Anyine that complains is just succumbing to the peer pressure that the media pile on you and your just going to be helping them in theor task- BY MAKING PEOPLE TAKE NOTCIE OF THEIR MUSIC, even though it is derogotory.
    Whether its bad image or not doesnt matter- getting shot a when your ten is looked at as GOOD PR in the rap industry.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

95% of cRap falls under one of these categories according to lyrics= Sex, Money, Drugs.

The ad company that does the anti smoking comercials should do a commercial with the slogan- "Rap is Crap"

Later
    T

8. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

The same way "rap people" are "trying to be tough guys", the "rock people" are trying to be whiney insatiable uproarious punk-kids or isolated "freaks". I don't believe rap people are stupid if they are making the most money. The majority of rock-listeners honestly just can't relate to alot of things rap talks about because of there social-platform or whatever other reason.

Also, 50 cent is a retard. Listen to intellectual or underground rap. You woulden't want me to judge lets say, the whole rock scene on one type of rock would you?

9. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

well said. the number of hip hop heads on this forum is scarce, even if we get together in an effort to try to show cats what's hip hop and what's hip POP, it will most likely fall on deaf ears. Let them be is what I'm going to do. Ignorance is bliss to the "haters" of rap.

Oh well. What's everyone's favorite WU joint?

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Here is a site that has interpreted the lyrics to a Lil Kim/50 Cent "song".
    Original:
    Translation:
    http://www.music-critic.com/breakdown/lilkim50cent_magicstick.htm

11. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

so if you can't spell crap without rap
    then you can't spell crock without rock.
    either way if people say rap is crap then i gotta defend (even thoguht someone posted its uncivilized to make fun of someone elses taste in music)
    rock is a crock it just sux play and simple, i hate listening to the guitar played that way...it should only be played either in the spanish style or chinese/jap style.

Top10 rappers/groups(2Pac/biggie being 1-2)
    2Pac
    Biggie
    213 (nate/warren/snoop)
    BTNH/twista(they have similar styles)
    Scarface
    Lox (you can't split them up,better together then never)
    MobbDeep
    Eminem
    Big Pun/Fat Joe combo

1 of 4
    ice^3, X or busta or will smith(back in the day) would be my last ones

I'm waiting to see how the chinese dude does in the future(then i might put him in the list)

12. freeky1 Registered Member

Agreed. With that said...I HATE RAP.

13. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

I'm just checking, you are aware of the fact that you are calling yourself a racist?

14. lostminotaur Registered Senior Member

there are so many good hip hop groups out there.. dont judge hip hop by the mainstream crap.. if you're interested in good hip hop, check out mos def, talib kweli, dead prez, the roots, atmosphere, aesop rock, afu ra, common, sole, sunspot jonz etc etc... there's tons of good stuff out there man... u just have to look for it..

15. Wrong Robot Registered Senior Member

you find trash in the popular mainstream "designed to appeal to the masses" of ANY style, not just hip hop or rap.

On the super bowl halftime show they melded P.diddy, Nelly and Kid Rock with Janet Jackson, it was pretty horrific, but the crowds liked it.

Don't turn your ears off to a style or sound because one group misrepresents it.

16. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

Or you could try something significant that transmits values, engulfs the senses, celebrates the human spirit and outlasts generations:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Beethoven

Wagner

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  17. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I won't argue the greatness of Beethoven or Wagner but people seem to forget about the pretenders who inevitably envelop every style of music (in every time in history). How do we know Beethoven and Wagner are great? we know because they have lasted.

How can you compare music a few centuries old (using it's lasting power as an argument for it's validity) with contemporary stuff that hasn't even left the charts yet?

I am not a huge rap fan but I get tired of people who point out the worst of a contemporary genre and compare it against the greatest in history forgetting there was plenty of crap back then as well.

We can't yet know if "Beethoven's" exist in rap or r&b today, give it a few centuries. Wether or not someone dislikes a music style is meaningless without a bit of time passing to put it in perspective and overcome the generational bias' that infect every era.

18. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Occaisionally I like oldskool rap, like grandmaster flash & the furious five or NWA, but that was way before the puffies & the biggies showed up on the screens their record companies portraying them as arrived popstars in shiny suits driving the Humvee, waving guns & dollarbills & bunches of bitches like it was glamourous to be a a crackdealer....

NWA made gangster rap also, but raw & real & ugly, sometimes even with a political message, right from the ghetto and not from Beverly Hills. But apparently political conciousness has given way to shallow materialism of young wannabee rich consumers....

The most unlikely pimp of them all has got to be Snoop Doggy Dogggg...He looks like a strung out broomstick, You sneeze hard and he falls, you wouldn't give the man a dime if you look at him / or hear his records, but others don't think so. The man should be on DeathRow, oh wait he already is, man, that Dr. Dre can produce the greatest idiot into a real slim shady....

What's my #%@$% name ?

19. Wrong Robot Registered Senior Member

How can you say "don't listen to rap, listen to beethoven" ?

how about I listen to BOTH

My favorite composer is Igor Stravinsky, but do I want to listen to the firebird suite or patruschka everyday? Do I get the same emotional response from listening to the Rite of Spring as I get from listening to Prefuse 73 or Hieroglyphics?

of course not, if I did, then it wouldn't matter what I listened to at all, and I could listen to the same song a million times and I wouldn't need to spend so much money on music.

The point that I'm trying to make here is that I think it's shortsighted to limit what you listen to for any reason other than you don't like how it sounds.

as far as I'm concerned if I like the way it sounds, I'll listen to it, I don't care who or what it is. "I need a girl(pt.2)" by P.diddy, that song had a slick break, I enjoyed listening to it, I can't say I cared much for the lyrics, but the beat was enjoyable, does that mean you won't find lyle lovett or joni mitchell pop up right after that song on my iTunes?

I think too many so called music-lovers spend too much time avoiding music.

How often do I hear "I love all music, but I hate rap" what kind of shit is that?!?clearly you don't love all music from that statement alone.

Personally, I can't say I love all music, I have heard bands and songs that I didn't like, but that doesn't mean I didn't give them a fair chance, additionally, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening to that style entirely just because one band didn't appeal to me. I generally don't like progressive rock, I think it's pretty wanky and boring for the most part, but I do like Dream Theater and Tool, I have also heard a couple independent prog-rock bands that were pretty fresh.

open your ears and your mind for a change, there are millions of songs out there, are you really going to let a sour experience with a couple shut out thousands more?

20. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

Man, that's fucking hilarious

21. YoungWriter Audiophile Registered Senior Member

If all you listen are the Clear Channel radio stations of rap, then what you'll here is *mostly* horrible rap. Same thing with most clear channel pop stations, rock stations, etc...

Of course, it doesn't mean there isn't good music of those genres out right now, but they aren't gonna be in your face and on MTV. You might have to find the music yourselves.

Hell, I live in the middle of the Midwest and we have 2 great solo rappers and one great rap group from here, so theres gotta be some good shit elsewhere too.

Think about it:

On your punk station, you have your new found glory, blink 182, simple plan etc.... They all sound similar (though I do like blink 182, hate em live though)

on your top 40: you have whatevers popular

country: songs written by same songwriters but different performers

Saying all rap/hip hop is horrible because of 50 Cent (i consider hip hop the style, rap the music....but thats just me) is like me saying all rock music sucks because of that fuckin taproot song.

22. YoungWriter Audiophile Registered Senior Member

WOOOOOOH.....so creative, I never heard that one before!

How old are you, 12?

23. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

I am promoting a standard of excellence, it has nothing to do with time.

I doubt anyone would seriously entertain this.