GRAAAAH! RAP/HIPHOP MUSIC!God someone help me im going insane!

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Squashbuckler, Jun 5, 2003.

1. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

yes, obviously. Fortunately your doubts have little to to with it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Ever hear of relativity? Beethoven is garbade, relative to someone else.

Furthermore, taste in music is entirely subjective. You can't tell people what is good and what to like, it's all relative when it comes to taste in music. 'Sides, Beethoven is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Wrong Robot Registered Senior Member

A lot of classical music is lame, but people stand by it simply because it's old.

That said, some of the best music I've ever heard has come from symphonies.

Does that mean I can't like hip hop as well?

of course not!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

Thank you for your astounding insight. Surely, I have been made a fool by your infinite wisdom of aesthetics. They ought to put you in charge of the music department in schools and universities the world over. You could start a foundation and call it "The Foundation for Advancing Western Culture". No, it should be "All Human Cultures", since your critique will be warmly embraced by all corners of the globe.

Incredible, a philosophy based on relativity, what a completely sane and logical idea! You are a sage indeed. Enlighten me as to how a starving African enjoys his life just as much as a middle class American such as myself does. Enlighten me as to how the decaying wasteland of the inner-city (the inspiration for this fine hip-hop art form) is as majestic as the rolling hills and archaic castles of Europe, the pyramids of Egypt, or the misty moutains of Asia. Truly deep.

8. brokenpower Registered Senior Member

Marry had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb, marry had a little lamb, her flece was white as snow... *sniff* why can't we just keep it simple kids

9. Wrong Robot Registered Senior Member

just enjoy all music, there is no reason to limit yourself.

10. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

one. i like HIP HOP music (such as heiroglyphics, del, ATCQ, dela soul etc), and some selective rap (such as 'pac) but i DO HATE THE NEW AGE OF RAP. its not even rap anymore, its more like POP, with very bad grammar and a pointless theme. Its all commercial now if u guys dont notice- 50 cent is just trying to make his 50 cents, ya know ? its nothing more.

go back in time and u can find some decent Rap and Hip Hop. search these artists u will find their lyrics are actually somewhat intelligent:
    - Jeru the Damaja
    - Del the Funky Homosapien
    - Grouch & Eligh
    - Heiroglyphics
    - Atmosphere

personally i have given up on this genre of music , mostly because of what its become today. so i dont listen to it much anymore, except for the old songs.

i find trance and electronic music to be the next big thing, and i like it alot better than rap. trance has spiritual energy and is very soul catching. house music gets your soul moving and groovin- which is always a good thing! and techno- well techno just trips me the hell out!!! heh.

"i love music. its the soundtrack to life. " -Jim Molina, R.I.P.

so, just be aware of what music YOU choose to be the soundtrack of YOUR life.

but back to the posts original statement:
    this new wave of crap rap and stupid meaningless verses is in fact going to effect the world- make no mistake about that. but as you may notice thru time, music genres have came and gone, and left their mark in mankind's history.

so hopefully this POP RAP shit dies out soon !

long live ELECTRONICA !!!!

11. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Damn this thread is old..........

Can someone please retire it..........

-Guyute

12. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

so just unsubscribe, problem solved.

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I love chingy's new song- "holidae inn".
    It addresses the serious issue of renting a room at a hotel and having a party, becoming enebriated and fornicating with females.

Ok how can you be against a form of music for not having "intelligent" enough lyrics and then support a form of music with no lyrics?
    If you can appreciate the production of electronica you should be able to ignore lyrics and appreciate the production of rap, pop, whatever, because making music sound good is making music sound good, the art isn't any more respectable in any particular genre.
    People who criticise the lack of depth in the lyrics of pop/rap usually listen to crappy musicians who focus on having some important message in their lyrics rather than decent music, and as much as I hate to admit it they have a tiny trivial case, but you have no case whatsoever, your genre of choice focuses on production in the same way pop and recent mainstream hip hop do.
    There is nothing more noble or highbrow about electronica as far as I can tell, and if we are to be honest the people making it aren't as talented and creative as the producers behind britney spears, christina aguilera or the aforementioned 'chingy'.
    They're doing the same thing, they're just not as good at manipulating the part of the brain that enjoys music as the pop producers are.
    They came up with one good idea, the fucking repetitive "mmp-tss" beat and then exploited it for a decade and continue to exploit it mercilessly, pop producers come up with a new "mmp-tss" equivalent on every track of every album they produce, as well as so many other aspects specifically designed to captivate an audience.
    Granted they fail at times, but they can have consecutive number ones often and all they are doing is using the reasoning behind the repetitive beat of techno(making people feel good) and being more creative with it.
    Basically I think pop and mainstream rap have it all over electronica, and every other genre, in the purest primal "sounding good" sense this is hard to argue as it is backed up by a domination of the charts, YES the fans are dumb, and that proves my point, they are reacting like animals purely to the stimulai of the music. Their stupidity and simpleness removes the aspect of opinion, its not their opinion that this music is the best, its the natural chemical reaction it causes them to experience. This is why I firmly believe, with a few minor exceptions for explainable reasons on a case by case basis, that the best selling songs are the best sounding songs in such a way that is not a matter of opinion.
    There are many factors that lead one to like a certain type of music, ie; relating to the "sadness" in the lyrics or agreeing with the message of the lyrics, seeking the image that liking such a form of music will grant and then forcing the brain to like it etc, all factors that the simple animal-like majority are immune to. For them it is the sound and sound alone. Which is why popular music is popular, it sounds the best.