Grades = Intelligence?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by CaptainCaper, May 31, 2003.

1. CaptainCaper Registered Senior Member

A combination of the "Sex = Love" thread, and the GPA thread.

Personally I think (as do probably many of you) that grades achieved in school have very little to do with actual intelligence. Certainly, you cannot get good grades if you are VERY dull, but I've known many a remarkable person, a near genius in their own right, who simply are not motivated to do well in school. Conversely I've known a couple of valedictorian students who are nothing more than a chipper smile and a lot of extracurricular activities as window dressing for an only passable intellect. Grades aren't an expression of how smart someone is, but rather a measure of how well one can do what they're told. I think.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Grading is a system to detect the avarage student.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I agree with you captain. Grades just measure how much you are willing to follow what you are told. In school, you were basically given assignments so that teachers had something to grade you on... and to prevent students who choke up at tests from failing. Most of the assignments are simply 'busy work' because the prof feels a need to give students something.
    Personally, I despised homework. I generally learned more going through the book and doing a few examples, not 20 or so just so I could get credit. That said, it was an automatic 10-15% of my grade... but I wasn't there for the grade. Unless you are going to grad school, GPA just doesn't really matter.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

and if you are worried about your GPA and grad school, just become a graduate student abroad.

8. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I think grades are measuring one's work ethic. Usually, the extremely stupid people stand out, but not always the smarter people. At school, there are people that are not necessarily smarter than everyone else, but they get grades in the 90+ range because they have a good work ethic, and pften very little social life. I am an intelligent individual, but I am an excessive procrastinator, and I don't do as well as I could in subjects that require a lot of time to complete tasks, like English essays and stuff like that. I find that intelligence of a person can be measured by just having a conversation with them about current issues or philosophical debates. But, I must learn useless things that will be forgotten the day after the test or exam, and not demonstrating my intelligence. Grade 12 is coming in september, I must get my ass in gear and spend time on work!!

9. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

a school's ciricumlum is so jumbled with all sorts things that must be taught, that even one assignment will test your ability on at least 5 aspects that are required to maintain a job after school. Even if a sheet of homework says "Chapter 10 Math Problems" that sheet will test your reasoning, memory, time awareness, judgement, and stress managment, and many more 'life skills'. Depending on how well funded a school is, the amount of life skills they can incorporate into their ciriculumic will be jammed packed or sparse. Schools that are funded well have the opportunity to hire good teachers that can blend the many aspects of life into their teachings, while maintaining a balance of biases so they might not mislead the students.....anyway I got way off topic

Grades don't reflect intelligence, like everyone's been saying they measure your following skills, in the big picture. But if you break the 'busy work' down and try to find what your actually doing; how that piece of paper is affecting your life at the moment, you wouldn't just see it as math problems or an essay or fill-in the blank questions.

It's only busy work because you have something else to do. Put down the X-Box for 30 minutes and take it like a student was meant to take it.....

10. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'm really not sure. I'm motivated to do well in school, I want to get straight A's, but something is holding me back. I don't know what it is. I figure, if I'm that smart then I'd get straight A's in school. But I don't. I get B's.

11. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Or don't do the busy work, and find a job to pay off loans before you graduate

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

A persons inteligence is impossible to judge final. And just to echo everyone else, grades are definately not a reflection of your IQ while your IQ is not neccesarily a reflection of 'you'. While modern IQ tests are meticulously planned and formulated they will still fall terribly short of your 'true intelligence' which is an abstract concept, not logicaly assertainable. For example poetic and artistic vision.

13. DouBTlessWonDer socially inferior to TV Registered Senior Member

At our school, we have these stupid portolios and you have to get 3's (or 4's) on everything to graduate. It's really stupid. So at our school, it's more "average " or "above average" than stupid and smart.

14. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I got A D D in my A-Levels (Maths, Bio & Chem) and I put the D's down to the fact that I did no work. No work. I think you can get away with little work in maths so long as you listen in class. (Complete coincidence that I have ADHD, sometimes refered to as ADD!)

Therefore I believe grades do not indicate intellect!

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Of course they do not. I had terrible grades in 'pre-university' school (we use a different system than in the US).I actually barely passed. I didn't go straight to university after that, but spend some time doing other things. When I did go to university I was highly motivated and ended up in the top 10% of my class.

So either I went from really stupid to smart, or my grades didn't reflect my intelligence. Even the fact that I did well in university isn't even a reflection of my intelligence. I know that I am reasonable smart, but I never was the truly smart genius.

And now that I am a PhD student I am actually doing quite well. Not because I am superintelligent, but because I have other qualities that a PhD student really needs, such as creativity, initiative, interest and independence.

I think that people falsely assume that to be a great scientist (I'm assuming we are talking about becoming a scientist, since this is sciforums), you have to have a high IQ. The higher your IQ is the better your chances of becoming a great scientist. But every job has its specific requirements, including that of a scientist. And although you would need a basic level of intelligence to succeed, other qualities are just as important or even more important.

You can't judge a book by its cover, you certainly can't really judge a person by grades.

16. BillClintonsCigar Registered Senior Member

No, of course not. As someone wrote, school work, while good in intention (there is an established system that tries to educate us), the set work does only really test ones ability to follow orders.

17. prozak Banned Banned

Grades, like IQ tests, measure one's ability to take a test. This generally roughly correlates to intelligence, but not by far in every case (brilliant slackers + idiots whose parents write their papers).

18. BillClintonsCigar Registered Senior Member

Pure intelligence is a persons ability to know the three dimesional world. Rotational puzzles such as Rubics cube are a measure of intelligence.

19. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

This dude, who is rather smart i must admit, scored HUNDREDS higher than me on SATs and recently asked me "what does adultery mean?" (yes he was asking for a dictionary meaning!) Staying in US longer than me, this other dude scored 900 on SATs, this score being wholly for the name and the math part, bc he doesnt know english whatsoever.
    There are people who get straight As in HS bc they take only the most necessary classes at the lowest levels.
    If one gets a GED he has the right to be accepted to ANY (ivy too) college he wants.
    Here are some of the best examples that identify American education system. I honestly think that european schools are much better, but degrees received in europe arent accepted in US. Bc US is a country of ____ _____.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

my ass...who cares about that. Try saying something new and convince the world it is new. That's intelligence. (do not confuse with politics. They take something old and try to convince the world it is new)

21. BillClintonsCigar Registered Senior Member

No it's not! I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pure intelligence is a persons ability to know the three dimesional world. Rotational puzzles such as Rubics cube are a measure of intelligence.

Devil Spawn?

Maths and english skills are apparently independent of each other. Those who are not very good at maths (like me) are usually significantly better at English. However this is assuming English is the native language. I am not sure if it is a language skill however, i.e., grasping a native language should (in my opinion) make one better at all languages.

It is also my opinion that this should have come from an expression and communication ability.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ok then...I shall have another go at it. Pure intelligence is the ability to never ever visit an internet forum or never ever post on an internet forum?

Can we all agree on that one?

23. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I tried saying smthg old, in a fairly "old", known way, and everybody decided they've never seen it before. I decided not to prove it's old. Is that intelligence?
    it's 5d now, as far as I know. Our world is in 5d.
    Ive heard somewhere that one of the differences bw humans and animals is that humans are able to think ab things they've never seen before (abstract thought), if Im correct.