Gravity A Wave

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Starman, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Agreed, opening your mind to the serious business of science is difficult, but rewarding!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Max Chau Registered Member

Here is my recent post on the other thread but will work in the same context.

Science has become a religion-like animal. I have had many encounters with science major friends and acquaintances who blindly believed they were "right" because they represented the "Science". But historical speaking, science for the most part is the result of repeatedly denials of the previous science. Today's "right/correct" becomes tomorrow's laughing stock. Isn't that true?
    In my opinion, our science development is at its infant stage. We don't know much about anything, including gravity and earth compositions. We have real problems sending our men to beyond our cosmic backyard - the moon. We cannot create a living cell in lab. We don't know how to cure cancer, or even allergy. To name a few.

So to me, those people holds science like a bible is laughing stock indeed.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

This is not true in my experience. could you give an example?
    Blindly believing anything is a bad idea. Science is not about blindly believing things.
    No that is not correct. Todays science is built on what was learned in the past.
    No that is not true. Refining theories does not make the earlier theories a 'laughing stock'. For instance Einsteins theory of gravity is the best theory of gravity that we have and it is a very different theory than Newtons theory, but for most cases Newtons theory can still be used.
    You seem to be saying since we don't know everything, we know nothing, which is silly.

Anyone who says science is like the bible and infallible is indeed fooling themselves. But no one who actually knows anything about science believes that.

Kristoffer likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Thread necromancy..

And a dodgy one at that. Max Chau, please do not resurrect long dead threads with posts that are effectively an attempt to flame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.