Guests

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by kmguru, Jul 16, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Every time I log on, I see about 5 to 6 memebers anf 60 guests on the board. Who are these guests? How can we convert them to members? Should we set up a notice specific to these guests to be members?.....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Maybe. But not everyone has the desire to contribute or perhaps the courage. Most people in the world tend to watch rather than anticipate. That's why film stars earn a lot of money - the many watching a few.

So the ratio of guests (watchers) to members (participants) is probably what you should expect.

Our target should really be those that want to contribute, and with quality if possible. Now that is not so easy.

Cris

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The unheard from...

I would suspect that some are members who have not logged on. As such they would show up as guests.

Others may not have the required e-mail address.

Still others will be as Cris has pointed out, observers. The in-the-background observers secure in their faceless, electronically hidden, voyeur driven witnessing of what goes on. Perhaps this is a little harsh but you can only guess at the silent few who leave no trace other than a number.

So what is their interest if not to contribute? Some we may speculate to be potential members, checking out the scene. But the numbers do not seem to reflect that all would be so. It is just to consistant!

And it strikes me as how unusal this thread is. The observed commenting on the observing. Almost as if the actors were commenting on the audience.

For those who read and do not particpate, do not grumble at what you read here. You do have your chance/choice to get involved and make your points and thoughts known. If you do not agree with what you read in these forums no one will know without particpatition!

I would further agree with Cris that we need quality comments and observations. It is what drives the forums to be great or small. Also I have commented on it before that new blood, so to say, is the driving force that prevents staleness. So every effort such be to welcome the new member who wishes to comment.

So, once again I also find my viewpoint in line with kmguru in this matter.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2001
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Being that sciforums is relatively new (2-3 months), it is not heavily linked on its own. Much of the incoming traffic is redirected off the old exosci.com and [cough] to a much lesser extend aufora.org domains. Some of these "guests" are merely people who have wandered in, not found what they were looking for, and left.

Others still are merely observers, as wet1 and Cris mention. It's hard to say how many fall into that category.

There is

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Guests receive a slightly different home page than members. They get a brief introductory text at the top of the page telling them how to view messages and urging them to register in order to post.