"Gun Control"

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by R1D2, Jul 31, 2015.

1. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Shortly after a shooting, like in a Lafayette, Louisiana theater. We hear liberals throughout the mainstream media quickly begin to once again call for increased “reasonable” gun control.
    But it don't help, those intending to do injustices get weapons, any way they can. I understand concealed carry an open carry permits but not being "generalized" over the states an fluctuation in laws in different states makes it confusing an difficult to keep up an track of. Background checks imo are a starting point but after a individual buys a "weapon" an say goes off to a mental institution or jail an gets back they may get there prior legal owned weapon. There is many hundreds of firearms in a zip code in most lower 48 states. The 1800's a criminal I hear, got his gun back after time served (mostly with out ammo).. America wont be gun free. We could make single shot weapons with a few items from a hardware store. Make homemade black powder. I had Read a article about England wanting its people to donate knifes out of safety, an because of knife stick up's . An attempting to make awareness. But things pointed still could be used even screwdrivers an most there don't have firearms.
    Gun Control and prevention, most laws enacted are hindering, more so than helping. Even hunters help "game populations" from growing so large in number and getting diseases an such, an being a huge nuisance. Like deer for instance. An restricted laws hurts deer, an other game.
    Restrictions on weapons in the time of our founding fathers would have changed the course of America. An it would have changed Japans strategy in WW2. We should support smarter politicians, an better gun laws an our countries foundation. I'm also willing to throw out that if a prisoner did his/her time an met some qualifications they should be allowed to vote. An some federal Bills & Laws should be placed on a ballot "initiative" to better get our opinions. But imo gun control in this day in age is squeezing laughter from most, especially those intent on doing harm with one.
    Sent from my Sprint phone.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

There is no possibility of "reasonable" gun control in a nation with such an insane attitude toward guns.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Which can be said for and/or by each side of that arguement.
    ergo
    meaningless.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Sure, a psychiatric patient may think his psychiatrist is insane.

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

All the psychiatrists I've ever known were. I think they undertook the profession to find out what the hell was wrong with them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

sculptor likes this.
  9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

10. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

The main reason for the freedom to bear arms is the possibility for the people to defend themself against the state, and, if necessary if the state goes insane, to start a revolution.

This has certainly helped to protect some other freedoms over a quite long time - Americans have in quite a lot of things more freedom in comparison with other states. But actually the American state seems to prepare itself for such a fight, at least this is what it looks like from the outside. What is legally necessary for a military dictatorship is already available after the PATRIOT act, from the point of view of the military side the police becomes more and more powerful, with more and more heavy weapons.

So, I'm afraid the old protection against a military dictatorship based on weapons owned by the people will not be sufficient.

Once it does no longer reach the main aim, everything else is quite irrelevant.

R1D2 likes this.
  11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

That's what I mean about an insane attitude. The Second Amendment reads, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Its intent was to protect the free state from its enemies, whether outside or in.

R1D2 likes this.
  12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

that shows a fundemental ignorance of history

sideshowbob likes this.
  13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This topic is well-covered in the Ethics subforum. I have moved this thread there. The moderator may decide to merge them.

Fraggle Rocker

14. sculptor Valued Senior Member

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

R1D2 likes this.
  15. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

As mentioned we Americans are out gunned, an have less money for security then the government uses.

16. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Its not gun "control," as that is a passive act. Somehow it needs to be free.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You have a point - I'm currently at a community event where the police have a stand along with emt and fire departments... the police have a weapons display
    ...I wasn't aware our local pd had access to .50 caliber rifles and g36 assault rifles, yet they have them on display with their ar15s and glock pistols

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We could start by enforcing existing gun laws. And not allowing crazy people to buy guns.

19. sculptor Valued Senior Member

\Did you mean 50 caliber rifles? or machine guns?

or

And, what in hell are cops doing with these weapons? What do we know of their training? or competency?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

rifles as in the Barrett M90

21. sculptor Valued Senior Member

OK
    I'm trying to picture a cop needing to shoot someone a mile away............................
    nope..................
    nothing

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I asked them before we left - apparently it's part of the SWAT team gear and saw use once - someone had ghettos armored a semi truck with sheet metal and plexiglass and was joyriding around smashing cars and such - 2 rounds thru the engine block ended that

23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

ok
    good use