Gut Beer

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Beer w/Straw, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

This was something I never knew: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/health/beer-stomach-autobrewery-syndrome-trnd/index.html

But am wondering about yeast in particular. When I finished the primary fermentation of my wine I transferred to a different container for secondary fermentation. I noticed a sludge at the the bottom which I kept out. I got impatient and drank it before it completed the secondary (CO2 was still escaping through the air lock). I didn't feel much effect as could be described as ethanol fermenting in my stomach, but that made me wonder about the sludge I kept out. Is it possible I could have had similar affects?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This seems to be extremely rare, so I doubt it.

I was amused by naivety of these researchers suggesting that if someone denies drinking but is drunk, he or she should be tested for this condition! I can’t see too many policemen following this advice.

Yazata likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

There is an extremely rare condition where a person's gut bacteria ferments sugar, so the person can have a high blood alcohol reading. It is curable if diagnosed properly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Well, it's a news article, not a scientific paper. Giving some mention of yeast, fungus, and bacteria in the gut...

Yet, probably most importantly, a previous use of antibiotics.

I'm not going to try experimenting on myself, though.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019