hair loss

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by srikar, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Doesn't a person also lose body hair as they get older? I think in men it all migrates to the nose, ears and eyebrows.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

My aunt had a mutant hair about an inch long growing out of her leg, it was thick and black like a guitar string.
    Is it because of hormonal changes and could excessive nose hair in men also be caused by this, maybe de-werewolfing yourself could be as simple as taking a pill?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

It depends on where the hair is falling out. If it is the typical male pattern baldness, which is what I had, then such therapies as Propecia and Rogaine won't help it. They will only either slow down the hair loss, or completely stop it. They are not good at regrowing hair on the front of the head. Those drugs work well with hair loss at the crown area. I ended up going to two sessions at Bosley Medical in Atlanta many years ago. They transplanted 1,200 hairs to the front of my head. It worked great and I highly recommend them! I have not had to use any drugs after the transplants either.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

In some Asian cultures, a "mutant" hair that grows on the neck, is considered good luck and is allowed to grow. There's a Vietnamese guy at work that has a single hair growing out of a mole on his neck that is as long as your index finger. It's impossible for me to talk to him without staring at it, and I have to overcome the urge to reach up and yank it out.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

seriously? I don't think I have ever checked out a relatives legs. Did she point it out to you?

9. Railburn Guest

Olive oil or coconut oil is what I heard works with some types of hair loss. You rub it in before you go to sleep at night, and wash with herbal soap in the morning. It sounds messing and i'm sure it is, but I heard it works. :\

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I haven't lost any hair as yet that I can tell and I'm an old fart.

Pehaps its because of my dementia that it only seems that I've lost none, who knows? :shrug:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  11. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Theres a theory that premature balding is caused by a certain level of insulin resistance (note, not diabetes in general, necessarily).

12. Railburn Guest

I've never heard that, wouldent you die if you gained a tolerence to insulin?

13. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Well its not a total tolerance, just enough to have all sorts of unwanted side effects like much reduced circulation in the extremities, hair loss, dry skin etc.

14. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Macrobiotics describes the cause of a receding hairline as excessive drinking of water (or beer or juices) and/or eating of fruits/sweets which over-strains the kidneys. So it's a sign of weakened, overworked or damaged kidneys.

15. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Define premature. Standard male pattern baldness is well understood, known to be hereditary, and generally happens to people who are otherwise perfectly healthy. The only way for people who have the genetic predisposition to completely avoid it (at this time) is to be castrated before onset. An obvious case of the cure being worse than the "disease". And I put disease in quotations because many people (Superstring to give one example) find that male pattern baldness has no lasting negative consequences.

16. WillNever Valued Senior Member

There's not such a thing as prematurely balding, in truth. Since it is *ENTIRELY* genetic, when it happens for you is specific only to you. For some people this happens as early as the late teens or twenties. For other it doesn't begin until their 70's. And still other lucky people never bald at all in their whole lives because their follicles are genetically resistant to the chemical effects of dihydrotestosterone -- the hormone in men that causes their hair follices to shrink over time and go bald.

17. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Prove that it's entirely genetic.

18. Pinwheel Banned Banned

As in balding that occurs before it would naturally do so. I.e. you may naturally go bald in your 40s, but due to adverse factors you go bald sooner than you would otherwise. Toxins etc for example, or diseases that depress blood circulation.

19. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

There is no controversy. It's well established, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness , unless you are talking about some other from of hair loss than androgenic alopecia.

20. WillNever Valued Senior Member

The number of people who suffer permanent hair loss due to bad circulation or toxins is tiny. Hair loss that occurs due to poor tissue perfusion almost always place on the toes and fingers only, not the scalp. Near every man whose hairline recedes is programmed to do so, so there is no "premature." It is genetic: that is why those who bald typically notice their hair loss begins at the same age and in the same pattern as a parent, an uncle, or a grandparent who lost hair in their lifetime. We know it's genetic also because the "balding gene" has been identified and you can be screened for its presence for the cost of a few hundred dollars.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  21. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

How would you know that you are going bald sooner (at a younger age) than you would otherwise? It isn't that uncommon for males to have receding hairlines in their teens! Certainly (in our culture at this time), it sucks to be them, but it isn't by itself a symptom of any disorder.

22. Pinwheel Banned Banned

You wouldnt, if you didnt realise it. Thats the point, when it happens early, rather than realise its pre-mature, you assume its inevitable. Poor diets and lifestyles etc may have an impact.

Those that are saying t is entirley 100% genetic, id like to know why they are so sure.

23. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

This is just one article of many that I found after a quick google search. The research suggests that we both influence and are influenced by our genes. It's not the one-way relationship that many people still believe. It's reason to question whether it was indeed the chicken that came before the egg.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Here's some very good news: your genes are not your destiny. Earlier this week, my colleagues and I published the first study showing that improved nutrition, stress management techniques, walking, and psychosocial support actually changed the expression of over 500 genes in men with early-stage prostate cancer. This study was conducted at the non-profit Preventive Medicine Research Institute and the University of California, San Francisco in collaboration with Dr. Peter Carroll, Dr. Mark Magbanua, Dr. Chris Haqq, and others."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/141984