harassment

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by paulsamuel, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

what does one do when one gets harassing phone calls at one's place of employment from an anonymous sciforums member?

I'm fairly certain that WellCookedFetus made 2 anonymous phone calls to my work today.

I believe that is not acceptable behavior, what do you all think? What would you do if fetus was harassing you at work?

TIA

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

HUH?...oh do go on...full story.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

well, fetus posted this;

5 minutes later, I get an anonymous phone call at work asking if I post on sciforums and he refused to identify himself (the coward).

5 minutes after that, he calls again asking the same thing and refusing to identify himself (the coward).

5 minutes after that he edited his post to remove the above evidentiary quote.

obviously, it was fetus who called

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

how did he get your number?

8. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

he's got my name.

easy to do a google search.

9. anu Banned Banned

fetus
    nip this shit in the bud. if you are responsible, confess, apologize and promise never to do it again.

i am sure the doc will let it drop

10. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

i guess i'm not sure how this type of harassment is handled by Porfiry or what the SciForums policy is?

does anybody know?

11. Bells Staff Member

And this is why one should NEVER give out one's full name or other personal details to complete strangers on the net or to have it as your onscreen name in a forum of any kind (if that is the case in this instance).

No idea. But I'm sure that your State has some form of stalking laws. If it keeps up, just contact the police and your phone company and let your boss know. For example, in Australia you can contact the phone company and they put a trace on the line and if the offending individual calls again, you press a code into the phone and they trace the last call. You only need to do this two or three times and if it's the same number all times, the offending individual gets a warning letter. If they do it again, they are contacted by the police. If they still keep it up, they get a nice visit by the police. And if they keep doing it regardless, they can be charged with stalking. I'm sure the State you live in would have a similar process, especially in light of the recent spate of stalkings that have occured in the US.

12. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Yes, don't give your name. I suggest asking the owner to delete your account and reregister without your name. It is the law of the jungle, on public forums. I once had a guy call me a few times in the wee hours of the morning who I clashed with on a forum from Boston, long distance, no less.

13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

2 calls harrasment does not make.

Not if we ALL search for:
    Paul... (Edit: he was smart enough to remove his own info, so I didn the same)

and give you a call... that might classify as group harrasment.

Like everyone else said, don't bitch about losing your anominity when you post personal details.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  14. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

no one said that except you.

what's your number? name?

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I am the great wizard of Zo. Of course I know your information.

Also, my number is 212-867-5309. You can ask for Bertha.

Finally, I doubt it was the fish. He lives in another country. You can find that out by clicking on his name.

That said, I think your a jackass. It amazes me that you feel the need to 'do' something over 2 phone calls... (although it also amazes me anybody would bother to waste the time to call you). I figure as long as you're complaining for something that you should have known better than to do, you might as well have something to complain about.

16. anu Banned Banned

yes
    foreigners string up cans to communicate

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*fetus not fish

17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I don't think they make strings that long... all though you never know. Put a couple million foreigners in another country and you never know what they'll make.

At least then they wouldn't have to pay long distance charges just to hang up on someone.

18. Bells Staff Member

No. You said it in your profile. You don't post information like that about yourself in your profile because there is enough information for anyone to track you down. And it is not only members who have access to your profile. And when your profile has that much detail, then your contact information listed in the university staff site can be accessed in less than a minute.

For someone who claims he has a Ph.D, you show a complete lack of common sense.

19. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

With the information paulsamuel gives in his profile, you need about one minute to get his telephone number. As a bonus, you need only some more minutes to get a criminal check and background information... Perhaps you should do something about your signature paul.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Are you allowed to harass someone because he is in the phonebook?

No.

Why would it be different with harassment based on info on the internet?

21. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

NO. Persol said, "Like everyone else said, don't bitch about losing your anominity when you post personal details."

No one said this except him.

Hmm. It's the victim's fault.

It's the rich people who carry cash that are to blame for muggings. It's the women who are too pretty who are to blame for rape.

That's a pretty thin argument, but if you want to say that, go ahead. It's more revealing of your character and intelligence than it does address the issue.

If you want to align with people like Persol and WellCookedFetus, go right ahead.

22. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

It is not right, but it happens anyway. If you get harassed on the phone, I would advise to change the phone number and get deleted from the phonebook. Or just affix the new number to your wife´s name.
    So I would advise people on the net to stop displaying private information that enables people to get their phone number. Because I think that such harassment is bound to happen sometime. Also, in this case, it might not be a memeber, it could also be some guest who thought it funny to phone paulsamuel because it was easy to gt information on him. There are loads of people out there that to things without a logical reason.
    Of course it is bad, and I would advise the person, that made these phone calls, to stop and possibly apologize, but I doubt that it will happen

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Paulsamuel,

Why *exactly* did you present this harrassment issue here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.