Has James R been banned?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by foghorn, Sep 27, 2020.

1. geordief Valued Senior Member

Thought it was a bit of dunked madeleine biscuit.(hence the puzzled look on Gromit's face "it was there just now" )

Unless it's a tractor seat...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Enough with the Proust already.

Or it could be what Gromit looks like after you've trodden on him, since he's made of plasticine.

Or it could be what you have just trodden in, because you were not paying attention to Gromit's bowel movements.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Bells already sent me the "threatening" PM. My access may be "limited" as I'm "too aggressive".

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

<<insert popcorn eating emoji>>

Being serious, I hope that James is doing okay. I’ve noticed that he hasn’t stopped in to reply here but maybe he’s just caught up in a project or busy. Life gets busy sometimes and the internet becomes a distant thing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    candy and Seattle like this.
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That is a good point.

I have experienced members on forums going dark only to discover later on that they had passed away.

We should try to reach out.

Tiassa , Bells: Are you in touch with James R enough to know if he's OK? If not, can we reach out to him?

10. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I went dark for a couple of years once. Did anybody notice?

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

As did I, on more than one occasion. Of course, when the number one admin goes awol, we have to wonder what's going on. Maybe, this forum is going to be shut down soon and JamesR is the only one who knows it.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

OK, well I went dark for several years, so...

A member going dark is very different from a moderator going dark.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I don’t like “going dark” to describe someone just taking a break or forgetting about posting for a while. lol
    Sounds very Stephen King.

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

In action/drama/thriller* lingo, it is a common term for ceasing otherwise regular communications (regardless of why, or when/if comms is restored).

* Blindspot and Marvel's Agents of Shield, to name just two current shows.

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Oh, I know...I just think it sounds more sinister than it deserves. lol

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Certainly has nothign to do with the fact that you're watching a creepy Steven King show right now...

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Well, touché haha

18. Bells Staff Member

I hadn't been around much for several months due to real life issues.. I would assume James is probably busy with real life. He posts when time permits.

19. foghorn Valued Senior Member

It seemed sort of strange for The Queen to be using the term ''Dark Forces'' some years ago.
    The Times
    The Times
    It's nearing

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes

1) I don't hear from James during his periods away. We generally presume he's okay, and so far he's always returned.

2) There is an irony to why we haven't closed this thread, but we can always discuss that with James, later, if he wants.

3) The manufacture of false evidence, even in jest, is unwise, so it could be that James R will have something to say about that, or not. Meanwhile, consider what it has to say about your opinion, and the credibility of your contributions, when you're known to fake evidence.

4) Personal note: We sometimes remind that Sciforums is what its members make it, and it just happens that someone raised the question of moderating a forum out of existence, even noted low production traffic. Meanwhile, we might also observe the fact of this gossip and diversion thread. Whatever we might say about moderators, there always remains a question of member priority, and this thread will say what it will in that context.

21. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Come over to the Dark Side. Join us. Join us.

wegs likes this.
  22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The basic premise here seems to be that the membership needs to be lectured by moderators rather than just lightly moderated only as required.

That's not the way of any successful forum. On most forums, most members aren't even aware of who the moderators are mush less what their opinions are. Not so here.

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Hm. I wouldst take the opposite view.

What this forum could use, in my view, is more moderation - weeding the poor quality content and raising the signal-to-noise ratio of the site's content.

SciFo has been strongly trending (even by their own admission) that quantity is everything, even at the cost of quality.