has thicko got this right?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by vhawk, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vhawk Registered Member

1.there is no one average global temperature?

2. There are lots of different ways of measuring the average global temperature?

3.there is no general agreement on how to measure the average global

temperature?

4.in consequence, propositions about the average global temperature to all intents and purposes, meaningless?

I'm such a stupid person that I need to know that I have finally grasped what all the clever people on this forum have told me. It is my experience, that stupid people, nearly always misinterpret and misunderstand what clever people tell them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Always believe everything someone told you on SciForums, even when it's conflicting. Maybe ESPECIALLY if it's conflicting...

No, just even when...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

1. There is a theoretical average temperature.
    2. True.
    3. True.
    4. Not true. Even though the methods differ, a calculated average is meaningful when the same standard is used over a period of time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. West_Virginia Registered Member

Obviously there has to be an "average global temperature" but it won't be indicative of much. Unless you're talking from a biological viewpoint, e.g. -

The average temperature of earth is [figure] therefore, carbon based life forms can survive in such conditions.

However, an average regional and time period temperature would be far more meaningful.

An even more significant tool would be a bell curve showing what the most frequent temperature is and how far away some of the more extreme temperatures of earth are (in terms of standard deviation).

#2 and #3 are easy to answer.

#4 No for the reasons above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.