Hash is healthy!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by UNIVERSE TODAY, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UNIVERSE TODAY Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Image hosting provided by Imageshack!

Lowering Of Blood Pressure Achieved Through Use Of Hashish-like Drug.

"A new method for lowering blood pressure (hypertension) through use of a compound that synthesizes a cannabis (hashish) plant component has been developed by a pharmacology Ph.D. student at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem School of Pharmacy."
    I hate quotation tags. They shrink the text!

What a clever discovery. Ofcourse, the really clever thing would have been to simply legalise Marijuana and let patients eat Hash cookies. More fun too.

:m: ​

After all, it was listed in the Pharmacopeia Brittanica as one of the most useful plants known to medical science right up until its prohibition by American politicians. The reason the worlds number one cash crop was suddenly banned? The timber mill owners were afraid that a new invention called the Decorticator was going to put them out of business by producing paper from hemp that would have been 10 times cheaper than timber pulp.

Back then the timber pulp owners had heavy investments in forest timber and would have likely gone bankrupt. It was a huge business and they exerted enormous influence over the newspapers and politicians of the era. That was before any oil barons existed. In those days the pulp mill operators were the barons.

The history of marijuana prohibition is farcical. They introduced the Marijuana Tax Act in 1937 under the pretense of stopping the "dangerous" narcotic from spreading. But really it was aimed at destroying the hemp industry. Then when war broke out they stopped fining farmers and started paying them to grow it. Until the war ended. Then the fines came back. Ludicrous in the extreme.

Even the word Marijuana was chosen to mislead the public. While Hemp fields were everywhere, even those living across the road from acres of the stuff had never heard of the word until it began appearing in newspapers under such banners as "Teenager murders his family under the influence of Marijuana!"

All those headlines have since been proven false and aimed at developing public hatred towards this harmless recreational drug. The word "Marijuana" actually comes from a small town somewhere in Mexico. Prior to the propaganda campaign led by an Agent Anslinger of the FBI, even most Mexicans were unfamiliar with the word. If Americans had known it was Hemp being targeted then they would have been horrified that the Government could pull such a stunt.

The original reason given for introducing the "Marijuana Tax Act"? Before voting on the legislation the members were told that the drug made people violent. That's about the most unimaginative excuse they could have possibly dreamed up. In fact the recreational drug of choice for millions worldwide has the complete opposite effect.

Ten years later when the legislation came up again, with largely the same politicians voting on the issue, the reason given was that this dastardly drug was making soldiers overseas into pacifists. Closer to reality in describing the effects of the weed but a complete backflip on their original reasoning.

So now some researcher has spent god knows how much money making a copy of a naturally occuring chemical that costs practically nothing to grow.

Never trust Governments. They are all evil.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. locomotive Tea me o' mighty teapot Registered Senior Member

wow. you have source?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

YES!! Governments are very evil. They are spawned from greed and have caused the balance of nature to be corrupted. I agree with you twice, marijuana is a harmless(if not helpful) recreational drug. It is a plant that you can grow, so, by the only element capable of judgement(nature or "god"), there can be no wrong in it. Are those all facts? If so, I'm sure that they would make a compelling argument in trying to legalize the plant.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valich Registered Senior Member

I recently read an article that cannibas can be used as a substitute for trans-fat vegetable oil but it still contains more saturated fats then genetically modified soybean or canalo. Good luck trying to harvest it while your in jail.

I'm not too sure what you are trying to get at in the initial post.

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Anslinger actually started as a reporter for Hearst publications, writing those reefer-madness type articles. With no law enforcement experience he was named chief of the new Bureau of Narcotics, a separate thing from the FBI. Literally, the first drug enforcement agency in the U.S. was started by someone who made a career out of lying to people about drug use.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Er Universe Today, that article you quoted doesn't support your titlle, that 'Hash is Healthy' at all does it?

Recent studies have shown that Cannabis use has serious and long lasting effects on the mental health of regular users, and that it is worse the younger you start. Hardly 'healthy'.

Also, there are many and various varieties of Hemp, and I suspect a lot of the attempts to show the good uses certain strains can be put to are a smokescreen by a bunch of spliffers wanting THC laden varieties to be decriminalised too.

I'm not anti Cannabis btw. I think folks should be free to grow their own, if they want to. I am anti bullshit propaganda from both sides of this debate, including such blanket statements that 'Hash is Healthy'.

10. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

So what? Those of us who pay for energy need hemp like we need our arms and legs. It would tremendously ease the pressure on our budgets and solve the greenhouse problem. The oil companies are not entitled to tens of billions of dollars at the expense of people being forced to help destroy the environment while paying through the nose.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

how would hemp solve the greenhouse problem?

12. UNIVERSE TODAY Banned Banned

I should apologise. I'm an old fogy. Nearly 36 now. I sometimes quote stuff that I used to read in books prior to the net exploding onto the scene. You won't find many good references to the real history of Hemp in school books. Which is a pity. I think every school kid should know that the Napoleanic war was largely fought over Hemp. But alternative book stores are an excellent source of data on this. My main source would have to be 'The Emperor wears no clothes' by Jack Herrer the Pro-Legalisation advocate.

Google time!
    Jack Herer has a website! Oh wow. I didn't know that. I'll have to go read it after I finish posting here.

You would think so wouldn't you. But Jack has been fighting the government on this for decades and he gets his information from Government archives according to his books.

Well, it has a large number of uses. Thats how I became interested in the subject. Some of them quite startling. When grown for oil about 70% of a plant can be seed and I think its about 50% of each seed that contains oil. Hemp is actually one of the fastest growing plants in nature. Only the hops plant grows faster if memory serves me right. Hemp can grow about 14 feet and provide two crops a year. This makes it a suitable biomass for fuel. It could in fact replace fossil fuels and this idea was put forward to the minister of energy in the US. His reply was a revelation. He agreed with the research and became quite excited. Admitting that hemp oil could in fact save the planet. "But unfortunately we can't use it." The surprised researchers asked why? "Because its a banned substance he said." Scary huh!

Synthesising a naturally occuring drug is basically copying it. Hash has the same medical benefits.

After 70 years of ploughing money into research to try and find something to support the prohibition? If you look long enough and hard enough you can find something bad about anything. Too much oxygen is harmful too. Same goes for water, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, nicoteine and paracetamol. In fact, of all the drugs in existance marijuana is the least harmful. The main problem stems from the increasing strength of marijuana. Its atleast 10 times stronger than it used to be thanks to brutally severe selective breeding. A result of the art being illegal. The stuff used to grow wild. If you increase the potency of any drug then its a given that its harmful aspects will also multiply. So blame the government.

Has anyone heard about the shonky Rhesus monkey experiments the government used to peddle as evidence of "brain damage"? It took 6 years for NORML to obtain the research data. Meanwhile the propaganda was being spread around high schools. When shown to scientists they laughed this "research" off as gutter science. The Government researchers had forced THC laden smoke into the lungs of these primates via masks. Then killed them and counted the dead brain cells. The masks were so tight that the animals were no getting sufficient oxygen. Insufficient oxygen causes brain cells to die.

Many other research studies actually caused embarassment to the government by improving the health of subjects in various ways. Thats when the government began to make these researchers sign non-disclosure agreements. Ofcourse several published their findings anyway. The Governments behaviour in this campaign to wipe out Hemp is quite disgusting really.

I don't smoke but in the security industry I've met every kind of druggie. I think people have the right to pursue happiness so long as they don't harm others doing so.

The oil is relatively clean burning I think.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  13. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

The sheer biomass of hemp grown for fuel absorbs a tremendous amount of carbon. Carbon is bad according to greenhouse theorists. There would be millions of tons of carbon stored in stored fuel at any given time, or in the plants, or in plants waiting to be processed.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

The concentration on Hemp is a smokescreen for legalising it for recreational drug use. There are plenty of plants that have similar qualities that are not proposed, because they don't suit the agenda.

Universe Today, the studies about Cannabis and brain damage I was referring to recently showed that regular users had double the risk of developing mental illness such as schizophrenia. That's a fact. You might not like it, but there it is. Now, I'm not going to get into a relatavistic moral debate over which is a worse drug. All I care about is your BS headline, 'Hash is Healthy'.

I think Cannabis should be legalised, if grown at home. I am not forwarding propaganda for prohibition as you implied. If you had read my post correctly, you would have seen that headlines such as 'Hash is Healthy' is what I have an issue with, because that is propaganda, and complete and utter BS.

15. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Name one, and support your claim. Don't think that people haven't tried, because there are many who are a hell of a lot more desparate for cheap energy than they are for a good smoke.

I, for one, am a bit sorry to say that I cannot stand being high. I need that fuel. I also need people to get off the more destructive chemicals like alcohol and tobacco and live longer.

I think that the usual spurious findings of diseases caused by marijuana are a smokescreen for the energy industry's desire to maintain the energy monopolies and high prices. Actually, this is a fact, not just what I "think."

16. UNIVERSE TODAY Banned Banned

Quite the opposite. The concentration on recreational drug use was the American Governments smokescreen for criminalising Hemp. A very successful campaign I might add. Hemp was the number one crop in America and farmers were very excited about its potential. Perhaps you've seen the movie "Hemp for Victory!" which glorified its future. Its one drawback was the labour intensive method of extracting the fibre. The stems would be left to soak for a couple of days and then removed by hand. Quite expensive. Then an automatic processing machine was invented. The Decorticator. The timber pulp mill owners were terrified and the Marijuana Tax Act was hurriedly pushed through the same year.

Not so. Many biomasses have been proposed. Alcohol for instance. Each has its drawbacks and advantages. But Hemp is far away the best biomass in terms of yield and practicality. I suspect this is because its been around for so long. All the lanterns in the World were once run on Hempseed Oil. Before whaling oil replaced.

Thats because the THC and Cannabinoids are far too high in commercially grown bush and hydroponic plants. Growers are breeding plants for maximum potency in order to maximise profit. A direct result of the drug being criminalised. Varieties like Skunk didn't exist before the prohibition. So blame the super potent schizophrenia inducing pot being smoked by kids today on the Government. They are responsible for creating the environment that produced it. Without prohibition people would still be growing hemp in their backyards to make pants out of and gentlemen smoking parlours would still be operating throughout the US as they were back in the 1930's.

I'm a realist. What I don't like is Governments lying to the masses for their own gain. It sickens me.

Before prohibition it was one of the best medicines around. It still is ofcourse but anything in excess can be harmful. Atleast Hash isn't physically addictive. Mentally addictive perhaps but no more than chocolate.

17. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Animal fat for lamp oil? That is so very disgusting. It's also disgusting to kill whales for this purpose. WTF? A person can grow enough hemp in his backyard to make oil for his lamp. Why bother to go through all the crap?

Petroleum is disgusting too.

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I thought that 'gentlemen' took their marijuana in liquid form. A very powerful and potent extraction that was far more powerful than smoking the plant.
    Marijuana was smoked mostly by black men, mostly. Or so it's said.
    Jazz musicians.
    Muggles, they called it.

Also. "Marijuana" was a term that was brought into use at the time so as to prevent people from realizing just what was being criminalized. Hemp farmers had no concern about marijuana being criminalized. They grew hemp. Never even heard of marijuana.

And. About the "Hemp for Victory". This was a necessary film because the techniques for growing hemp had been lost over the previous 10 plus years. Manilla Hemp was no longer available as Japan had taken the Phillipines and hemp was and is a vital resource. So, needs must and the farmer was implored to pretty please grow hemp for victory...

Heh.
    Funny. How the Library of Congress denied its existence. And Jack Herer had to track down the film himself and deposit it on their doorstep. Force them to admit that the US Government had ever advocated the growing of hemp...
    Fucking hypocrites.

The Emperor Wears No Clothes really is an interesting and informative book. But, it is full of propaganda. That doesn't mean that it's all lies. Not at all. Merely that it is full of spin.

Phlog has it right about that. We'd all do better without propaganda. Speak only the truth, you know?
    But. What can you do? You can't win a war against propaganda without propaganda of your own. Or so it may seem.
    A problem is that legitimate research on marijuana and its effects has always been difficult. It seems that positive research is always castigated and shunned while negative research is pushed to the forefront as a harbinger of truth and enlightenment.

So much politics going on about some little plant. Such a useful little thing it is too. A shame, really. That it's been maligned so badly.

19. Tnerb Banned Banned

That's a pretty awesome word nexus. Really, I don't know why.

I'd say, "is"---so baddly, but that's just me.

Dang dude you read a lot.

interesting stuff guys.
    I smoked a lot of weed.
    I wonder if it could help me out??

20. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

There is not one bit of spin in The Emperor Wears No Clothes.

21. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

Hey you guys, I see the legalization of cannibis as an alternative to completely destroying your life with say, Crack, or perhaps heroin.

I like cannibis, but not enough to go rob my neighbor because I need money to buy it, on that note, if it were legal you'd just grow the plant of the gods, and everyone is happy, or shall I say, stoned.

Maybe I'll move to Amsterdam and start a restaurant: The Hashish Chef, burgers, fries, candy, brownies, icecream, all JAMMED with THC. Thank the Gods.

:m: Peace :m:

22. Lucidfox RPG Nut Registered Senior Member

Damn I thought you meant corned beef hash lol

23. Tnerb Banned Banned

lucid fox you look cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.